PDA

View Full Version : Kennel Cough Vaccine

English Ivy
08-13-2009, 09:54 AM
How often does your Villages vet administer the bordatella (kennel cough) vaccine?

Our vet says it needs to be done every six months. Maybe I could understand that if your dog is constantly around other dogs at the dog park but our dog really doesn't have any other inter-action unless she's at the groomer, kennel (once or twice a year) or saying "hello" to a neighbor dog out in the street. And in every other place we've lived a once a year vaccine was fine for that type of doggie lifestyle.

I'm asking this since I've already had the experience with doctors (for me)around here who want you to come in for a check-up and blood work every six months "just because you're getting older and it's a good idea". To me it just seems to be a "money maker" for the practice. I've tried to research this on the internet but haven't come up with any good info that recommends every six months for the bordatella vaccine.

What is your experience in The Villages? Thanks for the input!

chelsea24
08-13-2009, 10:14 AM
My husband had a Veterinarian Practice for over 35 years and just retired 2 years ago. We only administered the Bordatella once a year. The company that makes this advised that was all that is needed. The only circumstances in which is was administered at 6 mos. was if the dog was constantly exposed to other dogs for long durations. Hope this helps. :smiley:

Just an added note: My husband filled in for several vets here in Florida (we're from Illinois) and he does believe that some of them give many unnecessary vaccines.

zcaveman
08-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Bart only got the kennel cough vaccine once a year both here and in NJ.

katezbox
08-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Bart only got the kennel cough vaccine once a year both here and in NJ.

Same for Finley... and he is at the dog park daily.

meriboo
08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Up here in the Panhandle, Onyx gets the shot once a year.

English Ivy
08-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks all for your responses, especially the info and opinion of a former veterinarian. At least I know I'm not being unreasonable in thinking this vaccine twice a year is not necessary.

It may be time to start looking for a new vet. Any recommendations?

Avista
08-14-2009, 03:10 PM
We LOVE Dr Valdez!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.meowandbowwow.com/home.shtml

Canal St to 466A to 27/441. Turn Rt. Go a couple miles--On Rt hand side of Rd.