PDA

View Full Version : Golf Carts - Gas vs. Electric

JanetandCarol
08-25-2009, 12:42 PM
We are almost retired, end of January, 2010. We will be down in February for a couple of months and want to buy a golf cart. We have heard so many conflicting reports about gas vs. electric that we are confused. We bought in the Village of Duval, so we are half way between both town squares and will probably be closer to the new town square. We looked at both models and from what I have been hearing, we should go with gas because of the size that is proposed for the entire villages. Can anyone give us suggestions and where should we buy our cart from - villages or out side of the villages. Thanks for any help. (Soon Grasshopper) JanetandCarol:2excited:

NJblue
08-25-2009, 01:16 PM
There have been many posts on this subject, but to summarize - you won't find a consensus. There are adherents to both types and for the most part those who have electric (the majority of carts) are happy with electric and those who have gas are happy with gas. However, from a distance perspective, I think electrics will get you anywhere you want to go with juice to spare. My neighbor (in Hemingway) has an electric and has gone to the far north of TV and played 18 holes of golf and then came all the way back and still had more than half a charge remaining.

Personally, I like the silence of the electrics. It allows you to easily drive and have a conversation at the same time without having to talk over the noise of a gas engine.

dillywho
08-25-2009, 01:58 PM
There have been many posts on this subject, but to summarize - you won't find a consensus. There are adherents to both types and for the most part those who have electric (the majority of carts) are happy with electric and those who have gas are happy with gas. However, from a distance perspective, I think electrics will get you anywhere you want to go with juice to spare. My neighbor (in Hemingway) has an electric and has gone to the far north of TV and played 18 holes of golf and then came all the way back and still had more than half a charge remaining.

Personally, I like the silence of the electrics. It allows you to easily drive and have a conversation at the same time without having to talk over the noise of a gas engine.

My next door neighbors just bought an electric cart with the solar panel on top. The other day, her husband took the cart for an appointment and ran some errands, then they went to play golf and barely made it back home and could not use the cart again until it was charged. They are seriously considering going to gas now. Our neighbor around the corner sold his electric cart and bought a new gas one for the same reason. If he drove from Summerhill to Havana, played 18, and then came home they could not use the cart to go to SS or LSL because it did not have enough charge left. The newer gas ones are much improved as to noise, etc. and you can go much farther than with the electric.

Grill Meister
08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Two considerations......

Will you be driving the cart only to the golf course, play a round of golf and then back home?, or will you be using your cart to drive to the Squares, shopping, and out to eat?:crap2:

Will you be driving around at night?

If you will be going to the golf course and then home and driving only during daylight hours......electric is the way to go.:bowdown:

However, if you plan on using your cart as your primary means of transportation around The Villages and really enjoying what TV has to offer day and night...gas is the ONLY way to go. TV is getting too large in acreage to go from one end to the other, day or night, burning your headlights. I know you will rarely, if ever, go from one end to the other, but most of us do put a lot of miles on our carts and gas will always get us there and back.

Too, most of the carts that have to pulled in at the golf courses are electric. True, most problems are loose electrical connections, but none the less, your day is ruined when you have to be towed.:rant-rave:

SABRMnLgs
08-25-2009, 02:46 PM
The wife and I have no preference. We have had both and each have their good and bad points. With gas, you can usually get better mileage. It is a bit noisy but you get used to that. With electric, it is a quiet ride but only as long as you don't go that far. Especially at night.
We are waiting for the first "hybrid" golf cart to come along.

No line dancing at our house!!!!!!!!!!!!

golf2140
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
We have two gas carts. We prefer gas because of it's convenience. We put 6 gal. of gas in every 280 or so miles. We use both of them extensively within TV. I purchased them because while we were visiting TV the carts we saw broke down by the paths were mostly electric. Good luck on your choice.

golfnut
08-25-2009, 04:23 PM
We have two electrics, between the noise and the smell I can't see us getting a gas. I suggest you take a look at the new EZ GO RXV. They have a factory showroom a couple miles north of TV on Hwy 441.....GN

ronsgc
08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
One of my neghbors bought the Tomberlin emerge cart with the extended range last month and said she got 55 miles the first day. There is a tax credit of over $4000 also. Plus it looks really cool. I am strongly considering changing over myself.

JanetandCarol
08-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess we will try both and take them for a test drive. Janet