PDA

View Full Version : ACDF Neuro or Ortho?

j22jay
08-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Please help! Yes, I have searched..and searched, but I cannot find any threads about disc fusion experiences. I am looking for a recommendation for a surgeon who specializes in cervical injuries. About 8 years ago, I had ACDF for C6, C7, with great results; however, that was done in Indiana. My recent MRI shows some problems at C3, C4 and C5. Dr. Jay is my Internist in TV, and he has given me a referral for Dr. Daniel Spurrier - (web site: www.standupstraight.net (http://www.standupstraight.net))
btw - love Dr. J and his staff! Does anyone have experience with Dr. Spurrier and/or neck surgery? My last surgery was done by an Ortho, and Dr. Spurrier is a Neuro.

j22jay
08-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Please help! Yes, I have searched..and searched, but I cannot find any threads about your disc fusion experiences

Carla B
08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
j22jay:

Please see the PM I sent you.

mfp509
08-27-2009, 04:38 PM
I was just talking with someone I know who had disk surgery in his neck and is doing very well. He went to Dr Hill in Leesburg - you must get a referral from your family doctor. I am having trouble with my neck and back and plan to go to him. Dr Hill is a Neurosurgeon.

j22jay
08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks so much for your input. I will keep my appointment with Dr. Spurrier tomorrow because he does a free MRI evaluation and spends about 45 minutes discussing options. I will return to Dr. Jay to learn the next step in this process.

784caroline
08-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Not so long ago if you had a Herniated Disc, it was my undersatnding that the surgery was done by both a ortho and Neuro surgeon. I had a herniated disc (C-3/4) and the buldge was pressing against the spinal cord...surgery was the only option for I had intense acute pain. Fortunatley I saw a Neuro surgeon BUT when I first saw him he told me I needed to see an ortho surgeon...then he examined me. I was scheduled for an emergency MRI and had the surgery the next day. Was not really prepared for the questions they ask you and legal info they must tell you. For examaple, I neeed a fusion and the Dr will ask where do you want the bone to come from..we can take it from your hip or use a "cadeavor" bone. At the time I am thinking what is all of this...just fix it..remember I am in fairly intense pain and have not slept for 3 weeks. So the Dr explains what is all involved and then if you pick a cadeavor, which I did, he goes into all the HIV and all the negative medical possibilities that arise from the use of a cadeavor. Then he talks about the procedure itself which will be through the front of the throat and you need to sign off that you have been told that he could hit or damage the lararyxn, voice box, trachea and all those sensitive things up front. BUt this option is better than going through the back of the neck. BUT finalyy he tells me that for a neuro surgeon this is the bread and butter operation of the profession (I always thought it was brain surgery) simply because it deals with the nervous system...and obvioulsy you need to know what you re doing.

Bottom line before the surgery I had to warn the guy putting me to sleep to make it quick for I may have some violent uncontrolled reactions, next thing I know I woke up in the hospital bed (you will stay at least one overnight for any spine surgery) they asked me how I felt on a scale of one to 10 and I was a 9plus and asked for something to eat. The nurse reminded me that I just had major spine surgery and i said lady if you knew the pain I was in prior to this surgery anything would be better and now I can raise my arm with out pain! My only initail reaction was my head felt like a bowling ball meaning it was heavy but otherwise I had little if any problems and felt immediate relief..actually went back to work in 2-3 days. 6 plus years later (knock on wood) still no problems!

So that is my experience...sorry I cannot help you with finding a local Dr but I would tend to go with a neuro surgeon. Any questions let me know!

annmarie
02-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Did you have a surgeon here in Florida? have you heard of the Gulfcoast Spine institute?
My husband needs surgery and fusion C 5-6-7 I would appreciate any feedback.Glad to here you had such good luck, My husband saw Dr. Hill and Dr Ronzo have you heard any thing about them?

Carla B
02-09-2011, 05:09 PM
My husband had cervical spine surgery and fusion in 2009. Dr. Barry Kaplan of Ocala Neurosurgical Assocs. did the operation. It provided much needed relief, and Munroe Regional was great.

StarbuckSammy
02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
You will find Dr. Daniel Spurrier to be an excellent doctor...he will guide you through all the issues....you will be amazed how nice and thoughtful he is. I think he really cares for his patients. I was very impressed with him when I saw him for a consult.