PDA

View Full Version : Two Loved Pets Up For Adoption

Responsible Dog Owners
08-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi Animal Lovers,

Found out today about two pets who need homes IMMEDIATELY because their owner (here in The Villages) died suddenly. One is a Brussels Griffon (can't remember if it is a male or female), 5 years old. Dog currently and very temporarily being fostered. A male, Manx cat, 2 yrs., declawed and obviously used to dogs. Please pass the word if you or someone you know might be interested. Call Joan Mackenzie @ 259-3094.

Ruth Paul (aka Rudie)
ruthcpaul@hotmail.com <ruthcpaul@hotmail.com>

nONIE
08-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Can you post pictures? I think it would be a tremendous help in getting them adopted. Thankyou.

Barefoot
08-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi Animal Lovers,

Found out today about two pets who need homes IMMEDIATELY because their owner (here in The Villages) died suddenly. One is a Brussels Griffon (can't remember if it is a male or female), 5 years old. Dog currently and very temporarily being fostered. A male, Manx cat, 2 yrs., declawed and obviously used to dogs. Please pass the word if you or someone you know might be interested. Call Joan Mackenzie @ 259-3094.

Ruth Paul (aka Rudie)
ruthcpaul@hotmail.com <ruthcpaul@hotmail.com>

As well as pictures (as suggested by Nonie), there are so many pet lovers that use Doggie Doo Run Run ... perhaps you could post a flyer there. They have a small bulletin board.

graciegirl
08-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Both are really beautiful breeds, but that wouldn't matter near as much as they were loved. Poor little ones.

Responsible Dog Owners
08-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Thank you for your suggestions about including photos. I have asked the fostering family to supply them. Hopefully you'll see these babies soon.

starflyte1
09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Has anyone adopted the Brussels Griffon and cat yet? I certainly hope so.

I would love to have the Brussels, but we already have 2 Yorkies, and many places have a two pet limit.

Anyway, I hope both have found a happy home.

Responsible Dog Owners
09-02-2009, 06:09 AM
I am still trying to find out more about these two little ones. RDOG is quick to help out where possible, but recently we've been led down the wrong path for help and assistance. We have the know-how and where with all to get the issues resolved, but we've been on wild goose chases lately.

I do seriously hope this is not another "little boy crying wolf".

JeanneBeannie
09-02-2009, 06:51 AM
I hope it isnt a "boy crying wolf" story either, that would be a shame after all your efforts. It does seem like you have been led on some wild goose chases lately, hopefully that wont keep recurring.
I for one, and sure many others appreciate all you do to help these precious animals. :thumbup:

katezbox
09-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Karen,

If you do get the pix, I would post at DDRR also. I know of one dog owner there that is considering acquiring another small doggie - and I'm sure she is not the only one.

k

Responsible Dog Owners
09-05-2009, 01:26 PM
I have, what I consider, an ugly tail to tell. I spent most of Thurs. night on the phone with a rescue family, who is caring for the Brussels Griffon now; an administrator, who runs Pet Connection out of Petco; a genuine angel, who first new of the neighbor's dog that would be adopted and a resident who was interested in adopting the dog.

The resident received a call from Mullberry Animal Hosp. inquiring if she was interested in adopting the dog since Dr. Teitlebaum knew this resident already had a Brussels Griffon. The resident called me to verify it was the same dog. I received a call from another concerned resident (not sure how she plays in this) who gave me the resident angel's number. She explained that the day a garage sale was to take place, at the deceased lady's house, the administrator showed up to take the dog. The angel felt there was not a lot of caring from the start. The administrator took the dog back to Petco and the rescue family took the dog home. The rescue family said they would like to keep the dog. (That could be why I wasn't able to get any photos) Apparently the rescue family's other dog would not accept the Brussels Griffon and so the door was opened for adoption. The rescue family told me that the administrator wanted $150 for adoption and she wished I would call her to change her mind. I called and she told me, "When I saw the breed I knew I could get $150. for it" WOW Did that set me back on my heels. I then called the rescue family back, her line was busy and when I finally got through her entire attitude had changed. She was now defending the administrator and equated the administrator's fee to what she believed to be akin to Socialized Medicine which she totally agreed with.

I left a message for the adoptive family, apologizing for any hardship I caused her in making a decision to take another dog..shocking her with "adoption fees" and the entire process.

Folks, I am the first to admit RDOG is not involved in the rescue community. We don't even know if this is a common practice. RDOG came into existence to build more dog parks in The Villages and on our journey we began advocating responsible dog ownership.

RDOG is not even sure this is appropriate behavior for rescue organizations, but we do know that if RDOG is involved in any other adoptions, RDOG will not charge any fees for adoption. We have successfully adopted out three dogs to date and feel if a person is willing to open their homes and hearts, there's no need to open their wallets too.

Obviously this is not a story I like to report since we like to share happy stories, but I think is worth repeating so others know what's going on with our "rescue organizations." I leave you to come to your own conclusions regarding this behavior understanding that these resuce organizations need funding, however, donations, fund raisers, etc. are what should fund their love of animal recovery, not the the pockets of unsuspecting, caring adoptive families.

graciegirl
09-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I feel so bad for you that your very good intentions ran into human ....whatever.

Although I am not a dog owner, I am appreciative of your good works.