PDA

View Full Version : DD214 card

jellybeanrt
05-09-2017, 02:57 PM
I am trying to help a man who has his honorable Discharge Papers from the Army from 10/1962. He is trying to join the American Legion here in The Villages. In order to join they want to see his DD214 card. He never received his DD214 card. I have made calls for help, but was told there was a fire back in 1962, and records were lost. Can anyone help us
Thanks
Judy

billybye
05-09-2017, 03:34 PM
I am trying to help a man who has his honorable Discharge Papers from the Army from 10/1962. He is trying to join the American Legion here in The Villages. In order to join they want to see his DD214 card. He never received his DD214 card. I have made calls for help, but was told there was a fire back in 1962, and records were lost. Can anyone help us
Thanks
Judy

who did you call - try veterans affairs online - I think records were kept in st louis on microfilm and then onto computers - not on paper files

billybye
05-09-2017, 03:43 PM
who did you call - try veterans affairs online - I think records were kept in st louis on microfilm and then onto computers - not on paper files

google dd214 and it will tell you how to get replacement dd214 - just like I said above

John_W
05-09-2017, 03:46 PM
I never heard of a DD214 'card', it's an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper with your service dates, duty stations, rank, etc. It's given to you by the personnel office on the day of your discharge and your told never to lose it, and make several copies.

If you live in Sumter County, go to the 'gold dome' county building on Powell Rd and 466A. Turn right in the main lobby and go down the hall to the tax office on the left near the end just before the driver's license waiting area. Inside that tax office is a Veterans Office that may be able to assist. I was in there recently to get confirmation that my military disability was combat related. They looked it up in 2 minutes and gave me a letter confirming the fact which I took to the property tax office 5 feet away and got a good size deduction on my property taxes.

Topspinmo
05-09-2017, 03:47 PM
I retired military never heard of dd214 card. Does he have his original dd214 paperwork when he was discharged? (Which is the most important document) I would think that would be enough proof, which will have all his military record information on it? My retirement ID card form number is DD form 2. I got out in 94 never got or heard of DD 214 card, they either had it before or after I retired.

DonH57
05-09-2017, 04:40 PM
I'm retired military as well and never heard of a card but have my DDForm214.

Greg Nelson
05-09-2017, 05:43 PM
I go my DD215

Carl in Tampa
05-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Thanks
Judy

Surely the American Legion officials know about the famous fire at the Military Records Center in 1962 that destroyed many records. If you can document that you made an inquiry and were officially notified that it appears that your friend's records were destroyed, then surely the Legion officials would accept some other documentation.

I recently obtained all of my available military records still held by the government by following the instructions on the link below. There was no charge.

Veterans Documents and Personnel Records | USA.gov (https://www.usa.gov/veterans-documents#item-35357)
o
The DD-214 is not a "card." There is too much data on it to be contained in a card. A DD-214 is actually a discharge paper.

If your friend gets VA health benefits he should have a card from the VA which demonstrates he is a veteran.

You might need to talk directly to someone at the Foreign Legion to see what the problem might be.

Baltimore Guy
05-10-2017, 08:12 AM
I tried to join the American Legion way back and they said I was in the Navy in1955 to 1960, and that was between wars, so I could not get in. What do you think of that ?

DonH57
05-10-2017, 08:14 AM
I go my DD215

DD 215 ? I won't ask but I'm guessing it's not good !:1rotfl::duck:

valuemkt
05-10-2017, 08:35 AM
For what its worth .. in addition to his formal discharge paper / certificate, my father received a discharge "card" .. It is DD-217A.. Front has the words "certificate of Service" ..with rank and serial number.. back has period of active duty.. signed by my father and an officer .. this was always accepted as proof of service ... except for some formal matters with the VA ..

CWGUY
05-10-2017, 02:16 PM
DD 215 ? I won't ask but I'm guessing it's not good !:1rotfl::duck:

:undecided: "220, 221, Whatever It Takes" Line from Mr. Mom.

Carl in Tampa
05-10-2017, 09:31 PM
I tried to join the American Legion way back and they said I was in the Navy in1955 to 1960, and that was between wars, so I could not get in. What do you think of that ?

Their club, their rules.

My federal active duty time ended just a few weeks berfore the American Legion acknowledges the beginning of the Vietnam era, although we were already losing lives over there, so I'm not eligible either.

simpilot
05-11-2017, 05:00 AM
The fire happened in 1973. Millions of records were destroyed and were not recoverable. I suspect his records were among them. In most cases where a military record has been presumed destroyed, NPRC is able to reconstruct basic service information, such as military date of entry, date of discharge, character of service, and final rank. Other than contacting the NPRC I don't know what you can do to prove his service.
National Personnel Records Center fire - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Personnel_Records_Center_fire)

Topspinmo
05-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Their club, their rules.

My federal active duty time ended just a few weeks berfore the American Legion acknowledges the beginning of the Vietnam era, although we were already losing lives over there, so I'm not eligible either.

I spent 20 plus years in during 5 conflicts, done what I was told, went where I was told, served without blemish, and I'm not eligible. heck I don't even think I'm eligible VA benefits. On top of that done 20 federal service in the pit where something had to get done today.

Carl in Tampa
05-15-2017, 07:37 PM
I spent 20 plus years in during 5 conflicts, done what I was told, went where I was told, served without blemish, and I'm not eligible. heck I don't even think I'm eligible VA benefits. On top of that done 20 federal service in the pit where something had to get done today.

Wondering what reason they gave you for not accepting you.

From their website:

If you have served federal active duty in the United States Armed Forces during any of the war eras listed below, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving -- you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!

*AUGUST 2, 1990 TO TODAY (PERSIAN GULF/ WAR ON TERRORISM)
DECEMBER 20, 1989 TO JANUARY 31, 1990 (OPERATION JUST CAUSE - PANAMA)
AUGUST 24, 1982 TO JULY 31, 1984 (LEBANON/GRENADA)
FEBRUARY 28, 1961 TO MAY 7, 1975 (VIETNAM)
JUNE 25, 1950 TO JANUARY 31, 1955 (KOREA)
DECEMBER 7, 1941 TO DECEMBER 31, 1946 (WORLD WAR II)
APRIL 6, 1917 TO NOVEMBER 11, 1918 (WORLD WAR I)

thelegges
05-16-2017, 07:20 AM
The fire happened in 1973. Millions of records were destroyed and were not recoverable. I suspect his records were among them. In most cases where a military record has been presumed destroyed, NPRC is able to reconstruct basic service information, such as military date of entry, date of discharge, character of service, and final rank. Other than contacting the NPRC I don't know what you can do to prove his service.
National Personnel Records Center fire - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Personnel_Records_Center_fire)

Fathers records were in that fire. It's a long haul to get info. Some get frustrated and just stop trying to get their records

joansullivan
05-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Thanks
Judy

You could try the VSO (Veterans' Service Officer) in his county. They are here to help Vets and very helpful with lots of information and resources. ARPERCEN (Army Personnel Cener) is now at FT Knox. But maybe someone could get on the computer find his DD214 and get it to him. Also, if he had any awards or an exit physical, they may help. But I would try the VSO first. There are VSOs at the VA here in TV and at a vetrans center I think co=housed in the Sumter Co Sheriffs building on 466. Let me know if that does not help. Joan Sullivan