PDA

View Full Version : Pest control

DRandazzo
05-25-2017, 06:00 AM
What is the best product to use for do it yourself spraying?
Thank you

jnieman
05-25-2017, 07:55 AM
What is the best product to use for do it yourself spraying?
Thank you

Amazon.com : Ortho Home Defense MAX Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter RTU Wand, 1.1 Gallons : Home Pest Repellents : Patio, Lawn & Garden (https://www.amazon.com/Ortho-Defense-Insect-Perimeter-Gallons/dp/B00C4TS86I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495716468&sr=8-1&keywords=Home+defense)
Home Defense. Buy it on Amazon for $14. Comes with it's own sprayer. We spray our perimeter outside of the house every 2 1/2 months or if we see a bug sooner. The inside of the garage also. If you have pets or children in the house you may use it inside according to directions but let it dry before allowing pets or children back in.

We save a bundle by doing our own pest care. The only thing is you do have to put it on the calendar and do it on a regular schedule. If you are not the type of person who can promise to do it on schedule you are better off hiring someone. We have used this with success for over 2 years and have only had to spray inside once which was the initial time.

logdog
05-25-2017, 04:30 PM
My pest control is bundled so I don't do myself anymore. However, I used to use Ortho Home Defense and it worked very well. But buy yourself a pump sprayer for about 10 bucks. I did outside perimeter and under sinks in kitchen and bath every two months. That way pets can't get to it and those are the areas pros spray.

billybye
05-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Home Depot has a Specicide?? Termite and carpenter ant spray. Says it last a year, but I do it every 6 months inside and perimeter including eves and attic. Have been in Florida for over 30 years and never had a bug or termite problem. Find a dead palmetto bug every so often. Also make sure you get under sinks where bugs come through pipes.

Toymeister
05-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Taurus sc as a termitcide. I spray it every 3 months and it controls the common pests. Professionals don't use it that way as their are cheaper options for common pests. This is what you are getting from a termite company. Available from Amazon

missypie
05-25-2017, 06:05 PM
We go on line to Do your own pest control. Great site, never an issue!

karostay
05-25-2017, 08:59 PM
Just my perspective Think of the consequences I wouldn't purchase a resale home that has DYI pest control
pest control is very affordable

Toymeister
05-25-2017, 09:18 PM
Just my perspective Think of the consequences I wouldn't purchase a resale home that has DYI pest control

I'm game, do you ask before offering on a home if the owners did diy pest control? If so what then? walk away? Of course not! Don't be ridiculous.

Mrs. Robinson
05-26-2017, 07:17 AM

I'm game, do you ask before offering on a home if the owners did diy pest control? If so what then? walk away? Of course not! Don't be ridiculous.

All my friends know how I feel about pest control and I will reiterate what I've said in the past.

I am a non-believer in indiscriminate use of insect-type chemicals in or around the house, unless absolutely necessary. The pest control companies have put the fear of God in residents, and so have residents done it to their friends because they too, have been brainwashed into thinking that because if you live in Florida, you have to do it. No you don't!. Does everyone really fear that they are going to be carried off to places unknown by an overgrown cucaracha???

If you have a problem, by all means -- treat it. But why, if you have no reason to spray, why do it? Please don't say you do it as a preventative. My husband was raised in Florida and I moved here in 1983. I have never had a contract with a company nor sprayed regularly. Never! The few times I had an issue, I treated it at the time and that was it.

At the rate residents are spraying their home and yard regularly, I would not be surprised if TV turns into one huge chemical landfill!

Karostay's comment makes no sense to me. And thank you, Toymeister for telling it like it is.

graciegirl
05-26-2017, 08:33 AM
All my friends know how I feel about pest control and I will reiterate what I've said in the past.

I am a non-believer in indiscriminate use of insect-type chemicals in or around the house, unless absolutely necessary. The pest control companies have put the fear of God in residents, and so have residents done it to their friends because they too, have been brainwashed into thinking that because if you live in Florida, you have to do it. No you don't!. Does everyone really fear that they are going to be carried off to places unknown by an overgrown cucaracha???

If you have a problem, by all means -- treat it. But why, if you have no reason to spray, why do it? Please don't say you do it as a preventative. My husband was raised in Florida and I moved here in 1983. I have never had a contract with a company nor sprayed regularly. Never! The few times I had an issue, I treated it at the time and that was it.

At the rate residents are spraying their home and yard regularly, I would not be surprised if TV turns into one huge chemical landfill!

Karostay's comment makes no sense to me. And thank you, Toymeister for telling it like it is.

Me and my household, we use Deans.

autumnspring
05-26-2017, 10:30 AM

RE: termite control
You may have trouble selling a home that does not have a termite prevention contract and if you do not have a contract in place you may have difficulty getting a company to start the treatment AND A WARRANTY.

Maddie2009
05-26-2017, 02:41 PM

I am quite agree with you above. Also, you have no basement and the house is built on a slap. I have houses in VA, treated with termite treatments before when found them. Then, they are gone for 3 or 5 years now. They will storm up the ground in early spring if you have problem at your home. Look for them( with a pair of wings). Does not mean that your house will collapse when you see them. See them just treat them, call the professional then with liquid treatment Premises or Termidor.

karostay
05-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Not ridiculous at all
Home pest control is very affordable comes with a warranty
DYI Carries what? Will home Depot or Lowes back their product ? Bet not

Jima64
05-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Most companies come out quarterly now. Most are very careful about what and how they spray. If you bought a new home in the past eight years there is a good chance the soil under the foundation was not treated. Now they only have to use a borid solution up so many feet on all the framing. They also are controlled as to how they do the yearly on the termite contract. The state has gotten very strict on what they can do. I would be more worried about the diy types that overspray every month.

karostay
05-26-2017, 05:11 PM
My pest control company gave me certificate registered with dept of Agriculture
Is there one one on the back of a can of pesticide you peel off from big box store?
Perhaps like registered service dogs you can get one online.

Mrs. Robinson
05-27-2017, 03:13 AM
RE: termite control
You may have trouble selling a home that does not have a termite prevention contract and if you do not have a contract in place you may have difficulty getting a company to start the treatment AND A WARRANTY.

I have been in real estate for over 30 years and in my line of work never (not even once!) had an issue with houses not selling because the seller did not have a termite contract.

Pest control companies will always be happy to begin a contract with a new customer and after doing an inspection, will offer some sort of warranty. This is part of what pest control companies do.

MorTech
05-27-2017, 04:08 AM
Use Permethrin SFR and Bifen XTS. They both work great on ants, termites, mole crickets, moths/sod webworms.
The Villages gets sprayed with Permethrin about every 1.5 months.

People without even studying basic chemistry calling others "Brainwashed"...Ain't that a bit rich?

Uberschaf
05-27-2017, 05:45 AM
Go to U-Killum in Inverness. The professionals there will set you up with everything you need to do your own pest control and how to do it. This is the real stuff not the watered down crap they sell at HD. The insecticide I use is NSF approved and works very well. Many states have restrictions on what you can buy so they only sell Raid like products. I agree with Mrs. Robinson with insecticide use. When I see applicators from Dean's or Nolan's spraying 10 houses a day 5 days a week with no gloves,masks or boots I shake my head. What are they spraying? Colored water? And don't get me going on over fertilizing use ruining our waterways.