PDA

View Full Version : Tip can at Brownwood last night

Sunshine Mary
09-22-2017, 11:09 AM
Did anyone ever see any performers at the square putting out a tip can ?
Last night we when to Brownwood Shawn Ash had 2 cans out for tips I never saw this before

SFSkol
09-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Yep. I saw a Blues Brothers segment at Spanish Springs a few weeks ago. They not only put a tip jar out but actually asked people to contribute. I was talking to Mary who works for and set up the event for The Villages Rec Dept., and she said it is allowed.

JoMar
09-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Have seen it several times, mostly with newer performers or those that are trying to make this their primary profession. I don't know what the entertainment gets paid so for some, augmentation of income might be needed. If they are good I don't mind putting a couple bucks in a jar.....I remember the days when I was trying to just get by.

n8xwb
09-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Yes! I've seen it many times. Most recently, when SSnakeyez played Spanish Springs.

DonH57
09-22-2017, 02:56 PM
I've seen tip jars at almost every where music is being played in the villages and outside the bubble.

alwann
09-22-2017, 04:54 PM
How in heck did this practice start? It was only in America. Used to be, you'd go to a foreign country and nobody expected a tip. Now everybody wants one. How long before you drink the wine and tip the priest? Throw dirt on the coffin and tip the grave digger? As a test, I'm going to serve my dearie coffee tomorrow and then hold out my hand. I hope she doesn't spit in it.

DonH57
09-22-2017, 05:21 PM
how in heck did this practice start? It was only in america. Used to be, you'd go to a foreign country and nobody expected a tip. Now everybody wants one. How long before you drink the wine and tip the priest? Throw dirt on the coffin and tip the grave digger? As a test, i'm going to serve my dearie coffee tomorrow and then hold out my hand. I hope she doesn't spit in it.

lol.

kstew43
09-22-2017, 06:08 PM
I've seen tip jars at almost every where music is being played in the villages and outside the bubble.

I've never seen that....but also never get that close to the stage.....so maybe thats why?

DonH57
09-22-2017, 08:09 PM
I've never seen that....but also never get that close to the stage.....so maybe thats why?

For a long time I've seen the practice of a band placing a tip jar on stage. Never seen it at concerts of course. Definitely never on Karaoke nights !

kstew43
09-22-2017, 08:34 PM
So I now take back what I said earlier.....,.just got back from Brownwood Band 4 Play......and yes they had a tip silver bucket in front of the greenery on the ground in the middle of the band stand. It had there name printed on the bucket and Tips.

Thats a first for me.....but it was definatly there....I looked in and saw a $5 and a one...and some garbage......ewwee..

I did watch the bucket after discovering it and never saw anyone put any money in it....

I can't decide whether thats a good thing or a bad thing....

CFrance
09-22-2017, 09:05 PM
How in heck did this practice start? It was only in America. Used to be, you'd go to a foreign country and nobody expected a tip. Now everybody wants one. How long before you drink the wine and tip the priest? Throw dirt on the coffin and tip the grave digger? As a test, I'm going to serve my dearie coffee tomorrow and then hold out my hand. I hope she doesn't spit in it.
I disagree. There are buskers all over Europe with jars, hats, open music cases for tips. I've seen them for decades.