PDA

View Full Version : GPS for Golf Carts

hedoman
10-04-2009, 03:05 PM
HI All

As future Villagers (this winter for sure) I was wondering if there is a GPS for the golf cart trails at TV? We can't wait to move down there! The maps are pretty busy and we sure don't want to get lost.

pooh
10-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Congratulations on becoming a Villager soon!

I understand what you say about the maps looking pretty busy, but once you get here, and start driving around, in car or cart, it won't be difficult to find your way around...and the map won't seem so congested.

Not sure if there is GPS for the cart trails....but if you're ever lost, just stop and someone will come along and help.

The place is so large that it is pretty impossible to know all the streets so we just keep a map in our car and one in our golf cart. That map has helped us help others looking for homes of friends. Soon you'll be doing the same thing.

Hawkwind
10-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Part of the fun of TV is getting lost and finding new things. Everyone goes through it, part of the learning curve.

There is no canned mapping package of the cart path that I know of.

With your GPS you should be able to create a track or route, then save it to your unit and upload it to your computer. I have a Garmin and I had it in the cart on my last visit. I was able to create some tracks from Creekside Landings down to Colony Plaza. I may have a few others heading north. Now after I captured the track I uploaded it into the Garmin MapSource program and do some playing.

With a few exceptions I found the map I received from the sales office to be all that I really needed. That map is an 8 1/2 x 11 and has the trails marked in red. The only place where things get a little odd is heading north across 466 at Laural Manor. After you go through the tunnel you will parallel Saddlebrook golf course on your left. You come out at a location that seems to have a number of different paths to take. Here you need to take a sharp right turn to take you around the tennis / pickle ball (not sure which) courts to continue north. Trust me you will not be the first person to end up at a starters shack with a cart full of groceries and not golf clubs.

Also what better way to meet people than to just pull over and take out a map. Someone will be stopping to help you in minutes. Or you can just find someone heading in the same direction and follow them. No better way to get around TV.

Bettiboop
10-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Part of the fun of TV is getting lost and finding new things. Everyone goes through it, part of the learning curve.

There is no canned mapping package of the cart path that I know of.

With your GPS you should be able to create a track or route, then save it to your unit and upload it to your computer. I have a Garmin and I had it in the cart on my last visit. I was able to create some tracks from Creekside Landings down to Colony Plaza. I may have a few others heading north. Now after I captured the track I uploaded it into the Garmin MapSource program and do some playing.

With a few exceptions I found the map I received from the sales office to be all that I really needed. That map is an 8 1/2 x 11 and has the trails marked in red. The only place where things get a little odd is heading north across 466 at Laural Manor. After you go through the tunnel you will parallel Saddlebrook golf course on your left. You come out at a location that seems to have a number of different paths to take. Here you need to take a sharp right turn to take you around the tennis / pickle ball (not sure which) courts to continue north. Trust me you will not be the first person to end up at a starters shack with a cart full of groceries and not golf clubs.

Also what better way to meet people than to just pull over and take out a map. Someone will be stopping to help you in minutes. Or you can just find someone heading in the same direction and follow them. No better way to get around TV.

Hawk, I have a feeling we'll be making a few friends via that method. :laugh: Thanks for the tip about which way to go when exiting the tunnel and wanting to go north. I'll put that in my notes for future reference.

I got a good chuckle out of your comment about showing up at the starters shack with a cart full of groceries.........Oops! :shrug::a20: