penmar
10-18-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Tomberlin cart. Anyone have experiences with them

gemorc
10-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Best cart money can buy.

EdV
10-19-2009, 12:26 PM
To answer the original question, yes I bought a Tomberlin E-Merge 2 back in May. But I bought it primarily because I wanted a street legal cart in the first place.

At that time, although the stimulus bill that provided for the LSV tax credit had been signed into law, the IRS was still working to establish a guideline for which vehicles would actually qualify for the credit. So it wasn’t a guarantee.

Around the end of August, the IRS published the procedures which the LSV manufacturers were to follow to get their vehicles certified.

Since then, the three ‘mainstream’ cart manufacturers that have received their IRS certification letters are Gem, ParCar, and Tomberlin. So visit any of those dealerships in TV to see and test drive the various models for yourself.

Also, for the record, the additional cost of insuring and registering an LSV is only about $150 per year.

ibistony
10-21-2009, 05:51 PM
You mentioned earlier that LSV insurance is $150? Does this cover ON-ROAD or OFF ROAD? What Company? Thanks.

TomW
11-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Bump. Yes. What company?

EdV
11-06-2009, 03:05 PM
The $150 that I stated was the difference between $220 for an LSV policy and the $70 most folks pay for a standard golf cart policy.

The latest info I have is to call one of the local State Farm insurance agencies and they supposedly can give you an LSV policy for ~ $180-250 depending on coverage desired. But that can only be issued if you also insure your regular vehicle through them.

If any TOTV member obtains such a policy, we would appreciate your posting that information here.

golfnut
11-07-2009, 02:42 PM
keep in mind the big three all have 40+ years experience building carts, how many years has Tomberlin been building, also big 3 are AMERICAN companies.....GN

BlueHeronFan
05-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Finally made my golf cart decision after extensive comparison and about 6 test drives.

Here is what gave me the push that I needed to write the check. Check out the website interview, and then, select any of the items on the right for specifics on various versions. That "Emotion" and "Anvil" looks to be quite interesting too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomberlinGroup

Got a pretty good deal, and feel really good about my decision. I will not be using it as a street legal.
Can't wait for the delivery.

mike barkley
05-26-2010, 02:41 PM
i have an emerge tomberlin and its by far the safest and best cart ive ever driven. from the glass windshield to the 4 wheel brakes it is a great machine regardless of other peoples politics worrying about where it comes from.

mrdills
05-26-2010, 04:20 PM
I am NOT a cart salesman, now that being said I can assure you the Tomberlin is one of the finest and safest golf carts around. Other companies try to make a LSV golf cart but Tomberlin is the only one that makes a LSV exclusively. I have own one since last November and I just love it. Carl Shelby would not have put his name on one of the carts if it was a piece of junk. Mike Tomberlin is a hands on person and he acquired the motor sports division of Schwinn and has a great background in product development. He starter consulting on Polaris ATVs and in 2005 he stared Tomberlin Auto Group. I can assure you if you look real close at one of his carts you will see its above any other LSV cart. At the showroom they have a cart that is opened up so you can look at all the safety features it has. The manufacturing plant is in Augusta Ga and you can read more info on there web site. If you want anymore info about how I like my cart you can pm me.

mrdills
05-26-2010, 04:34 PM
I have State Farm insurance and it cost me 136.00 a year with Bodily Injury of 250,500,250 same as my cars.

EdV
05-27-2010, 07:27 AM
I have State Farm insurance and it cost me 136.00 a year with Bodily Injury of 250,500,250 same as my cars.

FYI, late last year I was made aware of State Farm’s low cost LSV insurance policy if you also insured a regular vehicle with them. But when I called the local State Farm agency at the beginning of the year, they informed me that State Farm is no longer offering the special low cost LSV insurance.

You may be grandfathered in at that rate for as long as you continue your existing policy, but for new policies, it is insured like a regular vehicle.

Taj44
05-27-2010, 08:37 AM
A friend has a Tomberlin and in my opinion, it is a real pain in the a$$ to play golf in it. You have to set and release a handbrake every time to start and stop. I much prefer my EZ Go electric. I'm sure the Tomberlin is well made, but that hand brake is really inconvenient. Being and avid golfer, I personally would never buy that cart. If you don't golf, it probably wouldn't be an issue for you.

Regor
05-27-2010, 08:42 AM
It's a no brainer..........Support China or USA! DUH!!

mrdills
05-27-2010, 09:31 AM
EdVinmas, State Farm still insures LSV's I don't know who told you this but he is wrong. If you want to know the Agent I am insured with pm me.

mrdills
05-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Taj44, if your friend has a Tomberlin and you play golf with him you don't have to worry about it because you don't have to drive. The safety brake is there for a reason, its a true LSV and it is made for the roads. Other golf LSV's don't have a pull brake and aren't really make for the road. When I bought mine that seams to be a problem but now that I'm used to it ,its just like driving a regular cart and has more benefit.

ajbrown
05-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Got a pretty good deal, and feel really good about my decision. I will not be using it as a street legal.
Can't wait for the delivery.

I ask not to start any issue, just curious. When you say you will not use it as street legal, do you mean not register it?

Is it legal to use an LSV around TV and NOT register it?

I goggled a bit and could see an answer....

mrdills
05-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Regor, Everything you buy is probably made in China, India, Indonesia or other foreign countries. When was the last TV you bought that was made in the USA? I know you don't shop at Wal Mart either. All the new Cameos are made in Canada. I guess that shuts down your logic about buying USA. Don't get me wrong, I love and fought for this country but what our Government and our President is dong is pathetic. Years ago we shipped 70% of our good overseas, now we only ship maybe 30%, what does that tell you?

BlueHeronFan
05-27-2010, 10:09 AM
I ask not to start any issue, just curious. When you say you will not use it as street legal, do you mean not register it?

Is it legal to use an LSV around TV and NOT register it?

I goggled a bit and could see an answer....

OK here is what I was told. I did not have to use it as a LSV and use it for the roads. They have a computer setting that elimates the street speed, and resets it to the 19mph that is required for non street use. I then can not go faster than the 19mph.

Also, my driveway is on a slant. The handbreak was another standard option that sold me. Using it would be second nature, as I always do it in the regular car no matter where I park.

mrdills
05-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Aj Brown, What the Villages police said, if you buy a LSV you must register it, but if you don't that your business. Don't get caught driving it on the road because if they ask you for your registration and don't have one you will get a ticket. The difference in insurance between a LSV and a regular golf car isn't that much and you don't have to go under all those tunnels with all those speed bumps. :clap2: :MOJE_whot:

BlueHeronFan
05-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Aj Brown, What the Villages police said, if you buy a LSV you must register it, but if you don't that your business. Don't get caught driving it on the road because if they ask you for your registration and don't have one you will get a ticket. The difference in insurance between a LSV and a regular golf car isn't that much and you don't have to go under all those tunnels with all those speed bumps. :clap2: :MOJE_whot:

Looks like I need to make a phone call for clarity.

BlueHeronFan
05-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Looks like I need to make a phone call for clarity.

I just called the dealer regarding this registration issue.

If I were to use the E-Merge as an LSV, I would get a "registration" based on the vin nbr.

To not use it as a LSV, but as a considered "Golf Cart", I get a "Certificate of Orgin" and the speed reset to max 19mph, and it would then be considered as a golf cart.

For me, that is all I want it for. Just a car for Villages cart path usage.

mike barkley
05-27-2010, 03:44 PM
the tomberlin has a two way ignition switch. turn the key to first position and its 25mph. turn to next position and its a golf cart speed. wonder if thats enough to declare it a golf cart.

BlueHeronFan
05-27-2010, 05:55 PM
the tomberlin has a two way ignition switch. turn the key to first position and its 25mph. turn to next position and its a golf cart speed. wonder if thats enough to declare it a golf cart.

I was told that it is an internal switch setting, that will be only max 19mph and the other 25mph would be inop.

The 2 key setting on the dash, is for road, or golf course/trail usage when it is a LSV.

mrdills
05-27-2010, 07:15 PM
On the ignition switch there are 2 settings, the first one is high speed and the 2nd one is for speeds up to 19 MPH, but like I said when you purchased it from a dealer they will register the cart and if you register it you will need to get insurance because the state will have that information. Like I said before what you do is our business.

BlueHeronFan
05-28-2010, 10:56 AM
On the ignition switch there are 2 settings, the first one is high speed and the 2nd one is for speeds up to 19 MPH, but like I said when you purchased it from a dealer they will register the cart and if you register it you will need to get insurance because the state will have that information. Like I said before what you do is our business.

Hi mrdills;
I didn't want to give the impression that I am not going to get insurance. That would definately be a bad move. Insurance however, will be as a golf cart, not LSV. Tomberlin dealer gave me an Allstate agent to contact. They told me that they sell just as many E-merge's as "Golf Carts" as they do as E-merge's "LSV". I just don't want to use it on the roads. It's bad enough watching out for others when I drive my regular vehicle. The circles in TV can be a crap shoot sometimes.

BlueHeronFan
05-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Hi mrdills;
I didn't want to give the impression that I am not going to get insurance. That would definately be a bad move. Insurance however, will be as a golf cart, not LSV. Tomberlin dealer gave me an Allstate agent to contact. They told me that they sell just as many E-merge's as "Golf Carts" as they do as E-merge's "LSV". I just don't want to use it on the roads. It's bad enough watching out for others when I drive my regular vehicle. The circles in TV can be a crap shoot sometimes.

Did get an insurance quote from the Allstate insurance agent referred to by the Tomberlin dealership.

I have no other policy with Allstate, and was quoted $162 per year for "Golf Cart" version of the E-merge E2 LE, based on excellent auto record. Sounds fair to me, as neither my Travelers auto would cover it, or my Homeowners.

Just info, nothing more.

Rag Bagger
05-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Did get an insurance quote from the Allstate insurance agent referred to by the Tomberlin dealership.

I have no other policy with Allstate, and was quoted $162 per year for "Golf Cart" version of the E-merge E2 LE, based on excellent auto record. Sounds fair to me, as neither my Travelers auto would cover it, or my Homeowners.

Just info, nothing more.

That seems high. Golf cart insurance is normally around $60.00/year. Is it high because it is an E-merge? Why did you go to Allstate if you only wanted golf cart insurance? Others are much lower.

mrdills
05-31-2010, 07:14 PM
He was looking for LSV insurance, its difference than regular golf cart insurance and coverer's more.

BlueHeronFan
06-01-2010, 07:38 AM
That seems high. Golf cart insurance is normally around $60.00/year. Is it high because it is an E-merge? Why did you go to Allstate if you only wanted golf cart insurance? Others are much lower.

I believe it was higher for 2 reasons. Because I had no other policy with Allstate, and because it was an E-Merge.

Because the E-Merge also has a vin nbr, most ins will not cover it other than as a LSV. The dealer gave me the ins company name, as I was not having luck trying to work thru my own ins companies. Depending on what kind of coverage I actually receive, $162/yr for the "Golf Cart" version of the EMerge doesn't upset me. Not having ins would. The safety features on the E-Merge is worth it.

mrdills
06-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Good luck BlueHeron I know you will enjoy it.

EdV
06-01-2010, 10:45 AM
EdVinmas, State Farm still insures LSV's I don't know who told you this but he is wrong. If you want to know the Agent I am insured with pm me.

Well Mrdills, I called the State Farm agency phone number that you pm’d to me and spoke with an agent named Brenda. She said the Florida insurance laws were changed recently and they can no longer issue those low cost 1 year LSV policies like they used to. Registered LSV’s must now be insured with regular vehicle 6 month polices and at a much higher rate.

When your existing policy comes up for renewal, you’ll be getting a regular vehicle 6 month policy and you can probably figure on around $400 per year for basic coverage.

She also suggested that you call your agent for an update.

BlueHeronFan
06-01-2010, 11:46 AM
You are absolutely correct. Three other insurance companies told me that all LSV/NEV's will now be insured as a 2nd or 3rd automobile, at the automobile rates.

I did find however, a second quote from State Farm for a bit less than the Allstate quote, for the E-Merge as a golf cart. I think that there are going to be some LSV owners, of any company cars, in a bit of a surprise soon when renewal time comes.

otherbruddaDarrell
06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Thats because they are an "electric car" with a vin that will need to have tags,title etc.
Been there/done that...................golf carts only from now on for me.

Redtail
07-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Well Mrdills, I called the State Farm agency phone number that you pm’d to me and spoke with an agent named Brenda. She said the Florida insurance laws were changed recently and they can no longer issue those low cost 1 year LSV policies like they used to. Registered LSV’s must now be insured with regular vehicle 6 month polices and at a much higher rate.

When your existing policy comes up for renewal, you’ll be getting a regular vehicle 6 month policy and you can probably figure on around $400 per year for basic coverage.

She also suggested that you call your agent for an update.

i just got a quote for lsv insurance $155 a year from foremost insurance

grapesmama
02-20-2013, 12:19 PM
I am NOT a cart salesman, now that being said I can assure you the Tomberlin is one of the finest and safest golf carts around. Other companies try to make a LSV golf cart but Tomberlin is the only one that makes a LSV exclusively. I have own one since last November and I just love it. Carl Shelby would not have put his name on one of the carts if it was a piece of junk. Mike Tomberlin is a hands on person and he acquired the motor sports division of Schwinn and has a great background in product development. He starter consulting on Polaris ATVs and in 2005 he stared Tomberlin Auto Group. I can assure you if you look real close at one of his carts you will see its above any other LSV cart. At the showroom they have a cart that is opened up so you can look at all the safety features it has. The manufacturing plant is in Augusta Ga and you can read more info on there web site. If you want anymore info about how I like my cart you can pm me.

Mr. Dills I have a couple of questions:
1. I am looking for a full cover for the emerge I am about to buy (for storage under roof but not in a garage)
2. Should I get any accessories to keep batteries in good shape? Battery auto fill? Battery minder?
3. do you know anyone in the villages who is selling their used Emerge (with the extra 2 seats facing backwards?) before I buy this 2011(13 miles...demo...new batteries) for $6,500.? I will be making a decision in the next 2 weeks. Thanks sir! Kathleen

aljetmet
02-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Mr. Dills I have a couple of questions:
1. I am looking for a full cover for the emerge I am about to buy (for storage under roof but not in a garage)
2. Should I get any accessories to keep batteries in good shape? Battery auto fill? Battery minder?
3. do you know anyone in the villages who is selling their used Emerge (with the extra 2 seats facing backwards?) before I buy this 2011(13 miles...demo...new batteries) for $6,500.? I will be making a decision in the next 2 weeks. Thanks sir! Kathleen

Who's selling a demo Tomberlin? Not sure if they are selling any more in FL....