PDA

View Full Version : 1,001 Things They Won't Tell You

Boomer
10-19-2009, 08:35 AM
If you read the WSJ magazine Smart Money, you are familiar with the monthly article "10 Things.......Won't Tell You." Each month it is something new and they never seem to run out of who or what is not telling you 10 things.

Recently, they published a book called "1,001 Things They Won't Tell You: An Insider's Guide to Spending, Saving, and Living Wisely" by Jonathan Dahl.

On the front of the book there is a blurb that says, "Advice from professionals on health care, education, finance, automobiles, house and home, insurance, goods and services, travel, entertainment, pets, food and drink, and much, much more.".......and that pretty well covers what's in there.

Why did I put this in the Investment Forum instead of the Book Forum?

I put it here because I think an investment of $16.95 in this book will give you a guaranteed return of anywhere from your initial investment to hundreds, thousands, and who knows maybe even hundreds of thousands of dollars. You will find something in there that will help you save or make money on something, somewhere, someday.

I also think I should let you know that the tone used in these "!0 Things" things can be a little flippant and if they take a hit on your profession or something near and dear to you, you might get a little aggravated....or you might just smile and nod knowingly.

I am giving you a link here to the section of the Smart Money site that has some of these articles that you can read online. The one I am bringing to the top is the one about iPods. I was going to do the one about lawyers, but I decided not to pick on lawyers this morning. I think there might be some among us here on TOTV. (Besides, I kind of know how they feel. My life's work gets picked on, too.)

If you open the link, you will see "10 Things Your iPod Won't Tell You" and if you scroll down, you will see a whole bunch of other "10 Things...." I like having the actual book on hand though. It seems like there is more in it, and it has a really good table of contents and can be a quick reference to just have around.

Also, if you are one of those organized Christmas shoppers (unlike me) you might think this book would make a great stocking stuffer for everybody you know and so maybe..... Get thee to Barnes And Noble.

So here's the link to Smart Money where you will be able to see if you like the "10 Things" articles before you decide whether or not you want to shell out $16.95 for the book. But I know it would be a guaranteed ROI.

http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/rip-offs/10-things-your-ipod-wont-tell-you-19460/

Boomer

JohnN
11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I read the "10 things" all the time, very helpful, I think I'll get the book for myself as an early Christmas present, thanks for the tip!

Boomer
12-13-2009, 07:49 PM
I just returned from doing a little Christmas shopping, some of it at a bookstore. And when I checked in here, I decided to bump this thread that I started back in October, in case any TOTVers might still be looking for a stocking stuffer or a gift under $20.00. There is something in this book for everybody.

If you look at the first post in this thread, you will see the whole explanation of what this is about and also a link.

(And, btw, I just got sidetracked when I checked the link and started reading more stuff from the list at the bottom. I read all about the "10 Things Your Caterer Won't Tell You" and then I read a couple more, and then I thought, "Stopitstopitstopit, you've got the book and you need to get up and get busy.") -- So don't say I did not warn you. That link might sidetrack you. And you might not want to be sidetracked because you look really busy right now.

Anyway, I thought this might be bumpworthy, considering there are not too many shopping days left. So here's the bump, in case anybody else is interested.

Boomer

Boomer
12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I sure hope nobody thinks I am guilty of hubris because I am bumping an old thread that I started over a year ago.

That's not it.
Guilty of hubris? No.
Lazy? Yes. (Maybe I should have said efficient....yeah....right.)

So anyway, I did not want to start all over writing about this book and so I went down into the basement here on TOTV and I dug out the old thread so I could update this book recommendation.

I still think this thing would make a great stocking stuffer. (But maybe I am quite tedious. Oh well.)

If you want to know more about the book "1,001 Things They Won't Tell You," you can read the first post from last year. Yeah, it's been a while, but the recommendation still stands.

And some more stuff -- I just looked at the "Smart Money" site and I found a whole bunch more of the "10 Things" things. And so I am putting a new link here for you. But it comes also with that warning about how if you start reading these things, you might not be able to stop. But I bet you will find some useful info.

http://www.smartmoney.com/1001things/

Boomer