PDA

View Full Version : To be or not to be by a lizard

Taltarzac
10-30-2009, 10:52 AM
A few days ago my dog Sport chased a lizard around our grill which is out on a piece of patio outside the birdcage. This lizard first had the smarts to go under the fuel tank. I had hoped to help Sport get the lizard by lifting up the fuel tank. Except that my pants also offered another hiding place much to my consternation. Which option the lizard took after I lifted up the fuel tank and Sport gave chase. The lizard hoped right up my foot and under my pants leg and disappeared. Since I did not feel like stripping my pants off where one of my neighbors might see me, I went into the house. That's when the lizard made its next smart decision and dropped from my pants leg and hightailed it underneath the nearest chair. Puts a new meaning to draining the lizard.

dfn8tly
10-30-2009, 11:31 AM
So what do you feed a guest lizard (actually they are the Eastern Green Anole)? They are nocturnal so chances are they won't keep either you or Sport up with loud parties at night. Is there a maximum length of stay or are your reptilian friends allowed to come and go at will?

jblum8156
10-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Lizards are awfully cute, but I kind of hope Spot doesn't catch and eat one. When we first moved to Florida (Miami), we had a much-loved healthy cat who thought it was the greatest sport to catch lizards and munch on them. Within a couple of months she got sick and died. I always thought she got sick from eating the lizards that eat the cockroaches that are poisoned by exterminators. Sad.

Taltarzac
10-30-2009, 01:23 PM
So what do you feed a guest lizard (actually they are the Eastern Green Anole)? They are nocturnal so chances are they won't keep either you or Sport up with loud parties at night. Is there a maximum length of stay or are your reptilian friends allowed to come and go at will?

The house we had in Palm Harbor had a shower by the pool as well as two other bathrooms. One lizard lived in the bathtub drain for months and would stick just its head out of the bathtub drain to see if the coast was clear from birds, humans, and dogs.

The Great Fumar
10-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I've been told that dogs and cats that eat lizards are not long for this world .......they are poisonous . The poison affects their liver.......and cannot be reversed.......
By the way , the best way to catch lizards is a vacuum cleaner hose ......carry the vacuum outside and release them .......i will admit that it does make them quite angry but no harm done....they come out green , but if you went through a cyclone vacuum , you would be green too .......

Tidy fumar

zcaveman
10-30-2009, 07:15 PM
I usually toss a dish towel over them and then ball it up and take them outside. Less work than a vacuum.

JohnZ
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Anoles are a prime food target for the Great Egrets and other predators as well often seen browsing the low hedges around these parts. I wonder why the anoles aren't toxic to those critters. When they get in our house, I just grab 'em with my fingers (which can be challenging) and pitch 'em out the door. Sheesh. Could that be toxic? I'm feeling kinda.....uh...whoozy......I gotta go.