PDA

View Full Version : cart in for repairs again

otherbruddaDarrell
11-04-2009, 11:47 AM
What is everyones take on Discount Golf Cart World?(service dept.)
My wifes cart goes back to the shop tomorrow (again) because this time the lights, turn lights and horn quit working.
It did the same thing last year and had a faulty fuse holder changed. The service guy came out today and did not even have a tester but asked if I had one he could use. (I did not)
Changed the fuse holder again and checked the ground but still not working.
They will call me back in the morning to set up a time to pick it up and take it to the shop.
We bought it as a refurbished 2004 in july of 08 and this is the 4th time we have had issues.:mad:
1st time...no lights, bad fuse holder
2nd time it died coming over the bridge....bad V glide
3rd time it died coming over the bridge...bad solenoid (gone over 5 days for repair)
4th time....brake switch went out....bought one myself and installed it.
5th time...no lights turns or horn .....better get repaired promptly:censored:
It comes with a 2 year warranty but you spend $45 every 6 months for a maint. check.
When the cart quit working because of the solenoid I was pretty steamed and told them they lost a future sale to me. While it was in for repairs I went to the Village Golf Cars and ordered a 4 passenger golf cart.
I think the Villages Golf Cart shop is first rate! I should have gone there first!
I hope Discount Golf Cart world gets the bugs out of this pretty soon or we might end up with a 2nd yamaha

mfp509
11-04-2009, 12:14 PM
My experience with them - bad news!

golferling
11-04-2009, 01:18 PM
We bought our cart there in 2004, December, and it was one bad thing after another. They have very poor office staff who do not answer the phone, and we were so fed up, we sold our cart in Feb. of 2006...replaced it with a Villages golf cart brand new Yamaha, gas, and have loved it !!!! The electric carts from Discount Golf Cart World, and their customer support...I reported them to the BBB, not that it did any good. Our USED electric cart from there was 5000, and we sold it for 3200. We were lucky to get that. We had spent a lot of money on service, new tires, etc. before we unloaded it. My recommendation is to sell it and cut your losses. Sorry. They should be forced out of business.

otherbruddaDarrell
11-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info
I already know that this is a super-crappy job they did on the wiring because of all the splices I have seen.
It all runs off of 1 fuse and the main wire coming off of the fuse has several "butt" splices before it even goes to the dash.
This will be the last time I have anything done by them. At this point I think it best to find someone to put the wiring in correct.
My wife likes the cart (gatormobile) and we would rather keep it even if it is a 36v.
Any suggestions as to having someone reasonable to re-do some of the wiring?hint hint

otherbruddaDarrell
11-05-2009, 09:52 AM
The service tech brought his boss with him today to load the cart up. When he checked the new fuse holder his tech installed he found it did not have a fuse in it!
They had to go to the store and come back again to put it in. Everything now works. This is the 2nd faulty fuse holder that had to be replaced.
They said they would order a better style and install it for me when it comes in.
At least now the carts lights are operational and I think I will start changing out some of the over-spliced wiring myself.
I think they are trying to correct some of the problems of poor communication and poor service they have had in the past.
Time for me to go to the auto parts store and checking out a fuse block etc.
At least I am handy!
Remember the Red-Green show.....if you aren't good looking, at least be handy.:laugh:

Army Guy
11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
OBD, you will not go wrong with Village Golf Cart. Yes, you can probably get a better price elsewhere. BUT they are truely customer driven and have always gone way out of there way for us. I am truely happy with the custom designed cart I have from them (If you see the blue/orange Auburn cart, that is US!) and everytime we came down they gave us a free loaner before ours was ready. I highly recommend them. You done good!!

Army Guy

ron56
11-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Has anyone bought a new EZGO electric cart that seems to not run very smoothly? Mine seems awful bumpy. It's hard to explain but I didn't notice it when I test drove one. I was wondering if it will smooth out once the tires have been worn a bit. I mentioned it to the service department and they said to drive it a while longer although they did say they would replace the tires. I decided to wait a few days to see if I can feel a difference. It was also mentioned to me that if was because of the new a/c motors causing a surge in these carts. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

golfnut
11-07-2009, 02:33 PM
ron56, i know u are probably just looking for input at this point but i'm curious, where did u buy your cart and have you asked them to come out since it is under warranty....GN

suebanj
11-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I must be one of the lucky ones, but I bought my cart from them about 1 1/2 years ago and so far so good. Have come out to do the scheduled maintenance and the one time I had a problem, they came out and fixed it immediately.
Just wanted to let you know the positives about them also.

ron56
11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
golfnut,
I bought the cart at Town & Country. I can't complain about their service. The first time I went back they found a lose wire from the factory so they took care of that. I thought maybe that was the problem but it continued. The next time I went in they added some ceramic beads to the tire that is suppose to smooth the ride. I guess it is some new technology that works great on motorcycle tires and is suppose to work on golf cart tires also. They told me to wait a couple days to see what happens. The guys at T&C have been very helpful and I can tell they are really trying to help. I was just wondering if this was a common problem for these tires. Maybe I'm expecting a lot smooter ride than I can get. Other than the tire problem I really like the cart. It is a good looking cart that really has some pep. I was just curious to see if this was a common problem.

new peeps
11-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Ron56, When I bought my RXV it also had a bumpy ride. If your cart has hubcaps on the steel wheels I would assume you have the same issue I also had. I bought some new alloy wheels and new tires and it corrected the issue. I bought the wheels and tires from Town and Country as they had them on sale for $400.00 a set. It is a shame such a nice cart comes with wheels and tires that is marginal at best.:mad: Possibly the cart you test drove had a set that rode true or it was not on a smooth rode like in the Villages. If the cart had the same set you have on it might have been a bad test drive with tires that felt out of round. I had the same concerns you did after a couple of spins in the Villages. The original wheels and tires might have worked offroad, but on the streets they felt like they was out of round. I could not visualy see the tires wobbling but that is what it felt like. I would ask Town and Country about a upgrade on the original wheels and tires.
Other than the original wheels and tires I love the cart. :MOJE_whot:
I hope this also corrects your carts issues.

ron56
11-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Peeps,
thanks for the info. I did upgrade the tires. I noticed yesterday on the golf course the ride was fine. It seems to do it only when I'm traveling at full speed. I'll check it out today and see if it is better. I agree with you, other than that I really like the cart. I am also impressed with the service at T & C. I've seen people pull up to the back dock and the guys get right on their problem and are very helpful. It's nice to know you can get that immediate attention when needed.

JohnN
11-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I'd have never thought of steel wheels being an issue.
what kind of tires now? same ones or different?

new peeps
11-08-2009, 04:24 PM
JohnN, I changed both the wheels and tires. I liked the look of alloy wheels on the black cart. I assume it was just the tires as they appeared out of round when I checked. After reading my earlier post I also put in rode instead of road. "O" well it happens.

hdken
01-02-2010, 06:04 AM
How about a road force balance? :)

otherbruddaDarrell
06-30-2010, 09:02 AM
The saga continues...........
I traded the 4 passenger yamaha cart back in to TV yamaha and bought a brand new 2010 gas yamaha back in April. The cart is great and so is the service you get from TV Golf Cars.
My wifes rebuilt gator-colored, refurbed cart from DISCOUNT GOLF CART WORLD broke down again a few weeks ago. It was the third time the V-Glide burned out and would need replaced. We have had enough with this expensive pile of junk they sold us and had them take it back to the shop for repairs. My wife did not want to see it again!
Not wanting to get it repaired again and selling it to someone else or trading in a junky cart to anyone else, we decided to trade it in at a huge loss to Discount G.C.W. for one of the 2 "new" Yamaha gas carts they had on the floor.
They delivered the cart and ordered the curtains,covers etc. (3 weeks ago) and will install them (I hope-maybe??) this friday.
The first day I got the cart I heard a loud rattle noise and called them up. Bill, the salesman tried to tell me this was a normal sound (not) and I told him to let service know about it.
After a week of not getting a call I had TV Golf Cars pick it up for repairs (4 yr warranty on new cart)
The secondary clutch spring needed to be replaced, but they said my name was not on the warranty. I paid the $100 and said I would take it up with Discount G.C.W.
I contacted Yamaha corporate offices in Georgia and found out that Claude (Discounts owner) purchased it from Brewers Sales and service in Lake Wales on March 25th and was registered to him as of that date. They went on to say that in order to have the warranty in my name I would need to go to an authorized Yamaha dealer (like TV) and pay to have it inspected and if no high speed gears were installed (they are) the warranty could be transferred.
So I went back to Discount G.C.W. and spoke with my salesman (Bill) and explained my findings. I went on to say that the only way I see that it could be transferred in my name is if the owner (Claude) contacts Brewers sales (authorized Yamaha Dealer) and has the warranty transferred to my name. I also gave him a copy of the bill for the secodary clutch spring that would have been under warranty if in my name.
So now I am waiting for my seat covers, side covers, mirrors, sand bottle kit, cooler kit, pin-striping and moulding trim as well as an answer about my warranty.
The sharp looking blue and orange 2 passenger cart we owned is now parked in front of the business on rt 441, so if you are looking at it....BEWARE!:throwtomatoes::throwtomatoes:
There is a very sharp contrast between The Villages Golf Cars and Discount Golf Cart World. We are VERY HAPPY with TV Golf Cars and recommend you purchase from them. TV are professional and stand behind what they sell.
Additional info: I was told they are to be getting 5 more new gas yamaha carts coming in. They are NOT NEW if they are registered in someone elses name! If they are new, you will get a cerificate of origin and warranty card from Yamaha....BEWARE.

tcbernack
06-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Discount Golf Cart world is a different company than Golf Cart World right?
Golf Cart World is just north of 466 on 441. Are they tied in together some how?

tcbernack
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Scratch that.. the name of the dealer north of 466 is Cart World, not Golf Cart world. I assume that they are completely separate from Discount Golf Cart World. I had a headlight replaced at Cart World and they seemed to do a fine job.

otherbruddaDarrell
06-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Scratch that.. the name of the dealer north of 466 is Cart World, not Golf Cart world. I assume that they are completely separate from Discount Golf Cart World. I had a headlight replaced at Cart World and they seemed to do a fine job.

Correct, cart world sells new and used clubcars and they are not connected with Discount golf cart world. They are on the same side of 441, but there are a couple miles between.
Discount is on the south end of lady lake before you get to Fruitland park.

otherbruddaDarrell
07-02-2010, 04:41 AM
That's too bad about the v glide burning up. I'd say you must have some upgraded items for more power. It's unfortunate that they were not knowledgeable enought to know how to upgrade the v glide so it would not melt. Hope your current situation turns out better.

Yes, it was a 36 volt with a 10.5hp motor. With a high speed motor pulling more load. The wires should have been changed out to 4 gauge instead of 6 gauge.
When I traded it in I told them the only way I could see to salvage the cart was to re-install a lower hp motor that would draw less juice or to go and replace the wiring.
Lou (service manager) called yesterday and said they would pick up my new Yamaha this morning and take it in to install the covers, pin-stripes, etc.
He went on to say that they are reimbursing me the $100 I spent out of pocket for the repairs that should have been covered under the Yamaha warranty had it been in my name. Lou also said that the warranty is all worked out and would explain everything to me when he comes to get the cart picked up this morning..............
If in fact Discount GCW does make things right I will let everyone know.:highfive:

otherbruddaDarrell
07-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Lou from Discount GCW picked up my cart this morning in order to put the curtains on. They also gave me a check for the $100 I spent out of pocket for the repairs I had done at TV Golf cars.
In todays paper they are advertising 2011 gas Yamahas with a 5yr in house warranty.(not Yamaha warranty)
They are having new contracts printed in order to reflect the change.
They said that I will get the 5 year in house warranty when they get the new paperwork in.
I would have preferred to be able to take the cart to an authorized Yamaha dealer but at least i stirred things up enough for them to change the wording on their contracts.

otherbruddaDarrell
07-20-2010, 07:40 AM
It has been 18 days and still have not recvd. anything showing a 5yr warranty from them.................
The ads in the paper does not mention any 5yr warranty like they did a couple weeks ago.
BUYERS BEWARE OF:swear: DISCOUNT GCW.