PDA

View Full Version : From dog owner to dog lovers - please heed this

3bells
11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I sympathize with those who do not like dogs. Especially dogs that think everyone is their best friend and love nothing better to jump on and greet them.

The problem is that most dog lovers can be the problem. I have been trying for several years to teach my overly friendly little buddy to NOT jump on people. Not even on me.

And he doesn't jump on me. But all over we meet dog lovers who pat their knees, laugh and happily insist. "I don't mind. I love dogs!"

A request then from those of us who want to train our furry friends to be polite. When a dog jumps up to greet you, do both the dog and owner a favor, turn away and ignore it. Especially if the weary owner is trying to tell the dog to stay down.

That's how I taught mine to not jump on me. And I do get weary of trying to convince many dog lovers that they happily and without malice aforethought make training more difficult. Obviously if I was a better trainer I might be able to teach polite behavior anyhow, but I am dealing with a furball who forgets all commands and seems to lose his hearing when excited.

Please and Pretty Please :D