PDA

View Full Version : Bus Tour to some of the National Parks out West

Ken L
02-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Pls share any recent experiences you have had with bus tours of the Western National Parks. We have been looking at a several tour providers, such as Globus, Cosmos, Collette, Tauck, Road Scholar and more. We have never been on a tour like this and don’t know anyone who has. We would prefer a 14 or 15 day tour (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Bryce and Zion as an example).
Thank you

vaborn
02-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Following

tagjr1
02-02-2018, 05:42 PM
We took a 14 day Gateway tour in early September, visited Sedona, Montezuma's Castle, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, Yellowstone, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Cody Museum and probably 1 or 2 others, it's all a blur now. Bryce and Zion were our favorites, simply awesome! Price was lower than Collette and Tauck, but you get what you pay for. Some of our stops coincided with Tauck and Collette, and it was obvious their overnite accommodations were nicer than ours.

Odie-1
02-02-2018, 07:19 PM
We used Collette when we went to Alaska and they were great would use them again and will probably use them this summer

herbaru
02-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Interested in the same type of tour. Will be reading responses.

elsamms
02-02-2018, 08:13 PM
This past summer we went on a National Parks tour with Insight Vacations. There are three trips that go to the western parks and you can do one, two or all three. It was very well presented, fewer seats on the luxury bus than other travel groups (40, I believe)and very nice perks not included in other tours. Accommodations were wonderful and we stayed in the parks some of the nights. I would highly recommend Insight Vacations.

justjim
02-03-2018, 07:17 AM
AAA has a number of such trips they book each summer to the National Parks through various tour companies. Given the distance they will have a land and air package. Contact them for details.

My Post
02-03-2018, 09:57 AM
We would prefer a 14 or 15 day tour (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Arches, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Bryce and Zion as an example).
Thank you

Are you saying you would go to all or most of those over 2 weeks?

A lot of those parks are fantastic but wow that's going to be a lot of time on a bus and on the road. How much time would you actually be spending in the parks? I love Arches but it's in the middle of nowhere. It's not like you can just drive for 30 mins to the next one. You could do a week in Bryce and Zion alone.

SIRE1
02-03-2018, 03:31 PM
This summer we took the Globus tour of the Western National Parks. It was FANTASTIC !!!! I keep telling everyone that at our first stop, the Grand Canyon, I made the comment to our guide "wow, you just can't beat that view". He replied "if you like that view, just wait". Guess what, he was right.

I've told other people that many different tour companies take you to the same place, but what makes some a little more expensive than others is where they stay at night and whether there extras are included or options that you have to pay extra. Some tour companies charge less because they use cheaper hotels a little way from the sight you've spent the day seeing. This was our third Globus tour (2 to Europe) and I'm still very happy with this company. The hotels they book are right in the middle of everything so at night you can enjoy the location.

Our hotel in the Grand Canyon was right on the rim and you could walk along the canyon after dinner. The hotel Monument Valley had a balcony over looking the view and you could easily imagine John Wayne and the cavalry riding their horse through the old west. Our hotel for Mt. Rushmore was in the Custer State Park and bison were walking along the road. Our hotel in Yellowstone was the Old Faithful Inn and you could walk or watch the geyser from the viewing porch.

And a lot of people will say that you could easily drive and see the parks on your own, but having a bus pull right up to the door of the destination without worrying about where you are going to park and where to go or do is a mighty big plus. My brother-in-law was on his own camping in Yellowstone and thought he might like to see Old Faithful. He couldn't find a parking spot anywhere near and gave up and went back to his campsite without seeing the geyser. Also, at some of the stops the guide will tell you that it is an easier walk if you go clockwise instead of counter-clockwise because the steps are down hill instead of having to climb up. Plus it was fun getting to know all the other people on the bus. Some have become really good friends and we have continued corresponding with them.

So I can't tell you about the other tour companies, but I give Globus a "2 thumbs up" rating. I would be interested in finding out what you choose to do.

LindaL
02-04-2018, 08:14 AM
Can you please private message LindaL.

KenL's account doesn't appear to be working anymore and we can't figure out how to contact the moderator.

We would like to give you our phone number to discuss your trip.