PDA

View Full Version : KIndle or Nook

Avista
12-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Does anyone have a Kindle or Nook? What do you think of it? I see they are about $250., Worth the money?

l2ridehd
12-01-2009, 08:12 AM
I have the Kindle. It is great in that I now never run out of books and I can get almost any book in a couple minutes. The only downside I have found is being able to pass the books on once read. I am buying my wife a Kindle for Christmas so we can swap for that very reason. I wish they had a feature where once you buy a book, you could move it to another Kindle or device so someone else could read it. Maybe copyright laws prevent that. But having read about 20 books on it so far, would buy it again. I researched both the Kindle and Sony reader before buying, but the differences were minor. Just seemed to be more books available that I liked for the Kindle.

RVRoadie
12-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Take a look at the Apple iTouch or iPhone. You can download and read Kindle books on it. I have recently read two books over 1,000 pages each, and I thought it worked just fine.

The iTouch is considerably cheaper than a Kindle, but you do need access to wi-fi to download books.

Both are a lot more versatile than the Kindle because you have access to thousands of apps.

BogeyBoy
12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I bought a Kindle for my wife which she really enjoys.

I have an ipod Touch which allows me access to Kindle and other book readers- and, as previously stated, all of the apps. I also like compact size of the ipod Touch. The ipod Touch has an illuminated display so you can read it in low or no light situations. My wife has to use a light with the Kindle.

SNOK
12-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I believe I read somewhere that you can share books with the Nook. Does anyone know about that. I agree that sharing books with others would be a very attractive feature. It would be similar to buying a printed book and passing it on to others when you have completed it. That is a feature I think would be a valuable feature.

Avista
12-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I heard you can trade books if you have a Nook and the other person has a Nook. Not sure if this is true.

Pturner
12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
I have the original Kindle and don't know how the Nook compares. Here are my favorite things about Kindle:

(1) download books from any location in seconds. No wires required. No wi-fi required.

(2) No backlighting is a plus to me. The e-ink is much easier on the eyes than reading from a computer screen or any backlit devise

(3) You can choose the size of the type. My senior eyes have a hard time now with some print books with tiny type.

(4) Although I have an i-Phone and read news articles on it, I wouldn't want to read a book or read for more than 10-15 minutes at a time on it. If I'm reading a real page-turner, I can read on Kindle all night without eye strain.

(5) If you get to a word of text and you are unsure of the meaning, you can look up the word on-the-spot in the Kindle dictionary, then click the back button to return to the text. I love that!

(5) You can bookmark, highlight and take notes.

(6) No matter how many different things you are reading on Kindle (books, magazines, newspapers), when you return to an item, it opens to the page you left off.

I love my Kindle. I Kindle daily. :thumbup: Whatever you choose, happy reading!

Avista
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
PTurner
Great recommendation! I get a lot of books from the library. I see you can get free books or ones for about $10. What does your "book bill" run? Is there a good selection?

Pturner
12-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi Avista,

Yes, the selection is huge. Quoting from Amazon: Over 360,000 books, including 101 of 112 New York Times® Best Sellers, plus U.S. and international newspapers, magazines, and blogs. I don't know how many books my local library has, but it's not 360,000!

I probably average buying two or three books a month (sometimes more; sometimes less), so I probably average about $25 a month. I tend to alternate between fiction and non-fiction and some of the books I read are easier to find at Amazon than at my local library. That might not be the case for you.

It's true, I would save money just getting books from the library, but... I carry Kindle in my purse during the day, so I always have something to read if I'm waiting in line or whatever, don't have to make trips to the library to get and return the books and I can read at my own pace without worries about being overdue. The instant lookup dictionary feature alone makes Kindle a better read. So does setting the type size to my own preference. If I ever want to go back and find something in a book I read, I still have the book. And I didn't even kill a tree or clutter my bookshelves. (Kindle will store about 500 books; but even if you delete one, you can download it again for free from your Kindle account.)

I remember when I first got Kindle, I was close to finishing a book and I thought, oh no, I better hurry up and find another book before I finish. Then I remembered: no I didn't have to hurry. I could have another book anytime, anywhere in 45 seconds.

Love it, love it, love it.

RVRoadie
12-01-2009, 10:45 PM
A feature of amazon is that they keep track of where you are in a book. So, if you sometimes read on an iTouch and sometimes read on an iPhone, you will always open to the last page read no matter which device you used.

I suspect that most people don't know that amazon is keeping track of where you are in a book, but it does make for a nice feature when using multiple devices.

KayakerNC
12-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Does anyone have a Kindle or Nook? What do you think of it? I see they are about $250., Worth the money?

My early Christmas present is an Amazon Kindle 1 (aka Klassic). I will be able to take it with us on our Cruise Vacation, Norwegian Jewel, next week and avoid packing any books.
I got the Original Kindle for the following reasons:
1. Replaceable battery.
2. Additional memory using SD cards.
3. Price, the refurbished Kindle 1 was only $150 and is covered by the same warranty as a new unit.

I doubt that anyone can tell you much about the Nook, as far as I know they haven't shipped any.

nedisthatu
12-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I will be buying a Nook for my daughter for xmas ---(she requested it )
was leaning towards the Kindle not the sony reader - but we are aways at Barnes and Noble also online . If they (BNN) did not come out with the nook then kindle I would buy. It now comes down the personal choice and
what each can do and what you want from this new machine. I hope she likes it as she does read a lot of books -----------

Avista
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I would have been happy with either the Nook or Kindle. My daughter, daughter in law, granddaughter all wanted the Nook. So I also bought the Nook. Am extremely happy with it. Am working on my 4th book. Read Three Cups of Tea first, the an old classic I loved when I was young--Heidi. After that I read a book about Ted Kennedy. Now I am half way through The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Just love reading my books on my Nook. Can use any size font I want. Has a borrowing feature, but can lend only once for 14 days with authors permission. Also can borrow ebooks from library.

dominick
02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
I checked out the Nook while I was skulking around Barnes and Noble this rainy afternoon. They have one on display there, so you can play around with it.
The clerk, who was very helpful, said that it has 1million books available, plus newspapers, magazines, etc.
Not for nothin', but Money Magazine rated the Nook over Kindle and the others.

elevatorman
02-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I have a Kindle and I love it. But I just read an article that said publishers are putting presure on Amazon to raise the price of their books. Publishers are withholding titles. Best sellers are now $9.95. Publishers want the price at $15.00. Publishers say Amazon is taking a loss on the books to get people on their site. You may want to hold off until a decision is made.

beady
02-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I have had the Nook for 2 weeks and am reading my third book....I love it.....I change the font according to the level of eye strain...gets bigger as the day goes on...LOL

It is easy to use, comfortable to hold, especially with the leather cover my grandsons gave me.

It takes a bit of time to boot up, but otherwise no complaints. I can read for about 14 hours on a charge.

I checked out all the e-readers and found the Nook the most comfortable to hold for me.

The pricing right now is $9.95 for bestsellers and new books, but there are a lot of choices for new and old publications that are much cheaper......I hope that holds.

Avista
02-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Here is what my 4 books have cost:
3 Cups of Tea $7.50
Heidi $0
Kennedy $9.99
Girl With the Dragon Tattoo $5.50

It is new, and I probably went overboard this month, but there are quite a few books that are free or $.99
People don't have to worry what to get me as a gift anymore. I accept all B&N gift cards. LOL Can get them online and they start at $10.

Avista
02-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Here is a quick video to find free e-book for Nook: Scroll down a little. This is a quick little videol

http://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php?topic=1223.msg0#new

nedisthatu
02-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Finally ordered the nook after going to Barnes and Nobles and seeing it in person. it should be here tomorrow ----------can not wait --the bad part is it is my daughters so will see it in passing -----I have gone to feedbooks.com and downloaded free books in pdf format to fet use to reading a book on a machine. It is ok and free is a good price - but it is the old classic for free that I have not read since I was a kid so it was fun
as to weather kindle or nook - both are good and you will enjoy them --

memason
02-10-2010, 01:17 PM
It will be interesting to see if the new Apple iPad will cut into the sales of the Nook and Kindle. From reading some of the posts here, I understand reading in eInk is easier on the eyes than a screen with back lighting.

I currently do not use an ereader, but I do like Apple products. In fact, there's a Kindle app for the iPhone that I have used, as well as the Barnes & Noble eReader. Both are good, but the iPhone screen is just a bit too small to use for long periods of reading. On a recent flight to the US, I did try to read Dan Brown's Lost Symbol. Book is great, but I couldn't read the iPhone for more than about an hour. Bought the hardcover book in Heathrow on the way back to Germany.:smiley: I will say though, it's nice to be able to read a book and listen to some soft music at the same time, from the same device.

Anyone else thinking about getting an ereader? Will you wait for the iPad, before purchasing?

Avista
02-10-2010, 05:27 PM
From a woman's perspective, I would not be interested in the I-Pad as a reader. It might be OK to use to read occasionally, but not for those of us who read hours at a time. For one thing, the back light is like a computer. The e-ink is so easy on ones eyes. The font on the Nook and probably the KIndle is so easy to adjust--even while reading. The size of the Nook and Kindle is just right. I have a book cover for my Nook. So small and easy to take everywhere.
I Pad may be great, but in my opinion, not as a dedicated reader.

Oh, and as far as music goes, one can download music into a Nook and listen/read at the same time.

LoriAnn
02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Love the Kindle! Shopping for books is my favorite. It's like having a library at your fingertips. You can search for topics of interest or specific authors. There is a free sample available for any book you choose.

beady
02-13-2010, 09:47 PM
What a great analogy....re: lost in the library. That is exactly how I feel when searching for a new read on my Nook.Can't wait to take a trip and not have to take a bunch of books with me........I''ll just download them to the Nook.

GERONAMO
06-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I have the larger model and I really enjoy using it, however there is something to say about the smaller Kindle being easier to carry around.

logdog
07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I've had my Nook for a couple of weeks now and highly recommend it, especially since the price dropped to $200 (or $150 for the non-3G version). And if you have a wireless home network, the $150 model is all you need. I did a lot of research comparing the Nook vs the Kindle and there are only a few differences between the two. The Nook reads books from epub which has free classics, the Kindle doesn't. Not that big a deal since you can find free classics elsewhere. The Nook lets you lend books out for 2 weeks, Kindle doesn't. Nook lets you change out the battery yourself, if the Kindle battery goes bad you have to send it back to Amazon. Kindle lets you web browse over 3G, Nook needs WiFi. My decision came down to having a Barnes & Noble close by in LSL for support and free offers.

BTW, you don't need to shut the Nook down completely unless you don't plan on using it for a week or more. It automatically goes into a sleep mode after 5 minutes (or a time you select). Then it will come back on instantly instead of the lengthy boot up.

Pturner
07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
I've had the original Kindle for more than two years, and love it. You can change your own batteries. Good thing. I think having to send it somewhere to change the batteries would be a deal killer for me!

BTW, if I were buying a Nook, I would NOT get one with only WiFi, even though I have wireless home network. The great thing about the e-reader, is the ability to read anywhere. Wouldn't it kind of defeat the purpose to be sitting in a doctor's office that had only a private network (or anywhere without public WiFi) and not be able to use the e-reader? Might as well go back to carry around books.
:read:

l2ridehd
07-27-2010, 03:21 PM
I guess I don't understand your Kindle and nook comparisons. Kindle shuts down after 5 minutes on it's own, is ready to read again in under a second. I share books forever with the Kindle, not just two weeks. My wife and I each have one and just sync them up and we have all the books either has bought. Kindle has 1000's of free books. Kindle works on my home in VA and in TV on the wireless network. Also has the 3G so can connect anywhere. Your probably right about the battery, never have had to change it and have had it over a year now. And as for the number of books available, it seems limitless from Amazon. One downside to Kindle, maybe the nook as well, is that if you leave the wireless on, the battery only lasts about 6-8 hours. Turn it off and I charge about every two weeks and use it an hour or more every day.

I am sure both are great products, just didn't want wrong information shared.

barb1191
07-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Don't know if anyone has mentioned the great feature with Kindle where you can download a preview of a book which is about three chapters at no charge. If you like what you've read, you can then order it; if you don't enjoy it, just delete it.

Love our Kindle......b

faithfulfrank
07-27-2010, 06:45 PM
After comparing the nook and kindle to the ipad, there is just no comparison.
My friend has an ipad........it blows away the other two, IMHO. I'm looking forward to future versions to be even more impressive. I found the book reading on it enjoyable, and easy to use. Additional apps are icing on the cake.

I agree one does not need the 3g version.

Frank

BBQMan
07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
I've had Kindles since the first release and heartily endorse them. I now use the Kindle DX and have passed my K1 and K2 on to the kids. One of the things I enjoy is that all three of us (really up to five) can have access to the same library. Once a book is purchased all three of us have full use of it. It will always be available in the on-line library, so you do not need to have 1,000 books on your Kindle, although you can.

You can get a two week free trial period on any of the Kindle magazines or newspapers. These vary in quality. I prefer the Kindle version of The Wall Street Journal to the print edition. The larger papers, the NY Times, Washington Post, etc, do an excellent job with their Kindle editions. Some of the others, not so good. As with any new technology, it takes time to shake out the wrinkles. The two week trial period makes this a no risk offer to try.

If you buy a Kindle and do not like it, Amazon has a thirty day return policy.

Avista
07-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Here is what I think: I have a Nook, and love it. If I had a Kindle, I'm sure I would love it too.

Friend has an IPad. I would enjoy reading on it. But am not sure if the back lighting would hurt my eyes after awhile. Also, the Ipad is too big to put in my purse. I like the smaller size of the Nook or Kindle for carrying around.

It is nice having the Barnes and Noble right here. Any questions--they will help you.

In other words, I'd be happy with either the Nook or Kindle. I know I'd enjoy the IPad, but not sure of the larger size, heavier weight or backlighting.

Pturner
07-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Here is what I think: I have a Nook, and love it. If I had a Kindle, I'm sure I would love it too.

Friend has an IPad. I would enjoy reading on it. But am not sure if the back lighting would hurt my eyes after awhile. Also, the Ipad is too big to put in my purse. I like the smaller size of the Nook or Kindle for carrying around.

It is nice having the Barnes and Noble right here. Any questions--they will help you.

In other words, I'd be happy with either the Nook or Kindle. I know I'd enjoy the IPad, but not sure of the larger size, heavier weight or backlighting.

I agree about the backlighting. It's hard on the eyes after a while. I don't know if I could read from an iPad for an hour.

JerryM
07-28-2010, 06:26 PM
I have an IPAD and read for a couple of hours at a time. Never get tired.

Pturner
07-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi JerryM,
That's good to know. I'm curious wether the iPad reading experience is different than reading from a high-end flat screen monitor or laptop monitor. I find reading from the latter two tedious and hard on my eyes.

Also, can you change the point size of reading material on the iPad while still maintaining screen width.

Thanks.

uujudy
07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
But even at the bargain price you still can't read in bed, and you can't share your books, can you? :read:

l2ridehd
07-29-2010, 06:16 AM
UUjudy. Of course you can read in bed. Can you read a book in bed? Of course you can. So you can read any of the i-readers in bed also. Kindle even has a small light accessory that clips to it for reading without the light being on in the room. Works great. And yes, my wife and I share all our kindle books with each other plus up to 3 others. Total of 5.

Avista
07-29-2010, 07:07 AM
But even at the bargain price you still can't read in bed, and you can't share your books, can you? :read:
Why wouldn't you be able to read a Nook/Kindle in bed?
My daughter in law and granddaughter both have a Nook and are on same account. If one orders a book, it goes to both Nooks. Can also lend some books to others not on your account for up to 2 weeks. Then the books comes back to your Nook.

uujudy
07-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Oh, thanks for the information! I didn't know! I share my books with everybody, and they share theirs with me. As long as they have a Kindle (or Nook) I can share my books with them? How does this work? Can I read the book first and then pass it on? And how much does the reading-in-bed light weigh? Is it like a regular book light?

I may have to reconsider this. My birthday is coming up...
Judy

TrudyM
07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
My local Library here in King County Washington advised that the nook or the sony e-reader (also IPad) can download books from their ebook catalog and that the Kindle can not, that they are blocked. I live near (and sometimes work at ) Amazon, so most people around here have the Kindle. However being able to borrow books from the library for a month like I do now for print and audio MP3 books is very appealing. Any info from nook owners on borrowing from the libraries would be appreciated. I am not sure if this is available from any but large Metro area libraries with an abundance of funds.

Thanks
Trudy

PS if you don't here from me much for awhile I am going back to work for 4 months (contract at Amazon again)

Avista
08-07-2010, 04:47 PM
My local Library here in King County Washington advised that the nook or the sony e-reader (also IPad) can download books from their ebook catalog and that the Kindle can not, that they are blocked. I live near (and sometimes work at ) Amazon, so most people around here have the Kindle. However being able to borrow books from the library for a month like I do now for print and audio MP3 books is very appealing. Any info from nook owners on borrowing from the libraries would be appreciated. I am not sure if this is available from any but large Metro area libraries with an abundance of funds.

Thanks
Trudy

PS if you don't here from me much for awhile I am going back to work for 4 months (contract at Amazon again)

The Sumter County Libraries do not have e-books YET. I hear they will be available in the future.

It was suggested on one of the Nook Forums that a Library Card is available from Free Library of Philadelphia for $15 per year (if you live out of state). I just ordered a library card. They apparently have a large ebook library --using overdrive.
I know the Nook and I-Pad can borrow from libraries, but don't think Kindle can. Correct me if I'm wrong.

tudacee
09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an iPad for Xmas. I have a number of friends who flaunt it in front of me, lol. Reading from the ebooks seems great, plus so many other uses for it.

sigh, is it Dec. yet?

Avista
09-09-2010, 07:12 AM
The Sumter County Libraries do not have e-books YET. I hear they will be available in the future.

It was suggested on one of the Nook Forums that a Library Card is available from Free Library of Philadelphia for $15 per year (if you live out of state). I just ordered a library card. They apparently have a large ebook library --using overdrive.
I know the Nook and I-Pad can borrow from libraries, but don't think Kindle can. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I received my library card from Free Library of Philadelphia. It took about 3 weeks. I've downloaded 3 books from them. Have read 2 and returned them. Can keep a book for 21 days. You must download Adobe Digital Editions to your computer. Then it is extremely easy to download a book. I love being able to read free books on my Nook. This is one advantage for the Nook, Sony E reader and I Pad.
http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com/971D9601-46AA-459D-8482-366A8E837965/10/354/en/BrowseeBooks.htm

mzmom3
09-09-2010, 10:36 PM
I just trust Amazon. They keep working on making their company and product better for their consumers.