PDA

View Full Version : Parking for 2nd golf cart in CYV

Jazzper
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
As we get closer and closer to finally moving south permanently, I've been considering an upcoming 2 carts/1 car dilemma we will most likely run into.

While we'll most likely start off with a mid-size car and the one cart we currently own, I envision wifey wanting her own personal cart after she gets acclimated and less afraid of driving by herself. Just wondering if anyone has a single car garage with room for just one cart next to their car as we do in our CYV and how they do or would handle parking for a second cart?

I don't really want to leave the car in the driveway just to park both carts in the garage but I don't think leaving the cart #2 in the driveway is a great option either. We do have a corner lot CYV and I think the second cart would actually fit through the gate so that it could be parked in the backyard but I'm not sure if that's kosher or not -- even though no one would see it behind the wall-

Thoughts?????

Ohiogirl
12-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Am not positive if all CYV models have room for 1 car and 2 golf carts. Don't think the Grantham/Cumberland model does from looking at it. Know that the Bonita/Stoneybrook model does have room. We have the Bonita, and plan to buy a 2nd golf cart when we retire this coming fall.

Our plan is to park the car (a Honda Fit, so it's small) in the garage, and both the golf carts on the other side of the garage, closest to the furnace. We think (but haven't tried it yet) that whomever leaves first in the a.m. will just take the cart that is closest to the door. We think we'll have 1 electric cart and 1 gas cart.

Am assuming we can just use an extension cord if the electric cart is parked in the front (away from the dedicated plug) rather than use a regular 110 volt outlet, but does anyone know if it does any harm to the outlet or the cart to use the regular 110 volt for recharging? Am assuming there's a reason for the dedicated outlet? Anyone know?

pqrstar
12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
I have seen several courtyard villas on corner lots where people have added golf cart garages.

These additions look attractive and like they were there all along.

Indy-Guy
12-15-2009, 08:21 PM
I have a Foxglove CYV and park 2 carts and a car at the same time. It is crowded but will work in the Foxglove. The Foxglove has an inside washer and dryer so that gives a little more room in garage. I used to put a Sebring Convertible in there but got rid of it and now have a Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible which is shorter but is a little over and inch wider. The little smaller car helps.

As for putting the cart inside the gate ours would not fit. The cart is wider than the gate opening. I have two basic Yahama carts one a 2009 new body style the other a 2004 old body style. Neither one would fit inside the gate opening.

otherbruddaDarrell
12-15-2009, 08:54 PM
When I had a Smart car and a scion x-box, I could park both cars and 1 cart in the garage and leave 1 cart outside.
Now that I have a Buick Rendevous and 2 carts, I find it easier to leave the car and 1 cart in the driveway and park the other cart inside to get charged up.
I have had the buick and a cart in the garage and if I got rid of some stuff in the garage I would also be able to park the other cart inside.
It really depends if you want to have some extra room inside and not have the hassle of trying to back out of an already difficult garage/drive that the cyv's have.
I prefer to park at my neighbors when they are up north for the summer:D

p.s. A cart will not fit thru the gate ..........if they did, I would keep one back there at times.

Jazzper
12-15-2009, 09:56 PM
All....Thanks for the info. Probably should have mentioned that we do have a Grantham on a corner lot.

When we were down in October for a week to close and furnish it, we had a mid-size rental which was a tight, but manageable squeeze next to my Yamaha cart.

However, there was a concrete post about 2-3 ft. tall and 4-6" diameter in front of the heater that prevented me from pulling it all the way up to the laundry room wall. Not sure if it was original or if the previous owner put it there as a protective stop but it only gives about 3 ft. of room behind the cart after it's pulled all the way up to the post.

Perhaps if I sawed it off, there might be enough room to squeeze another cart in sideways behind it, but that would most likely require a small, compact car next to it. However, we're leaning towards a somewhat larger car for the trips back and forth to Delaware.

PQRSTAR - curious about the golf cart garage additions that you mentioned. I'll have to keep an eye out for those on our next, hopefully permanent visit --if work would ever give me a package outa here-:) If you think of it, I'd appreciate a note regarding some locations to check out.

Otherwise, since there seems to be so few permanent residents in our village, the neighbor's driveway option from Darrell seems a good option for both of us! I'll get the convenience and he'll get the security.

Nana18
12-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Wifey!!!!!

as we get closer and closer to finally moving south permanently, i've been considering an upcoming 2 carts/1 car dilemma we will most likely run into.

While we'll most likely start off with a mid-size car and the one cart we currently own, i envision wifey wanting her own personal cart after she gets acclimated and less afraid of driving by herself. Just wondering if anyone has a single car garage with room for just one cart next to their car as we do in our cyv and how they do or would handle parking for a second cart?

I don't really want to leave the car in the driveway just to park both carts in the garage but i don't think leaving the cart #2 in the driveway is a great option either. We do have a corner lot cyv and i think the second cart would actually fit through the gate so that it could be parked in the backyard but i'm not sure if that's kosher or not -- even though no one would see it behind the wall-

thoughts?????

golfnut
12-21-2009, 04:40 PM
I never use the dedicated outlet for charging (it's on the wrong side of the garage) I have always used standard outlets and never had a problem. Our friends have a CYV and live ont he end and added another one car garage....GN

Jazzper
12-23-2009, 07:23 PM
GN,

That's good to know. Just have a gas one now but we may get an electric for wifey (BTW - she likes the nickname).

As an aside, I think we're soon to be neighbors -- we're in Belmont Villas in Belvedere! Are your friends who added onto their villa's garage in there too?