PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Golf Clubs on Cart

TomW
12-26-2009, 10:58 AM
I find the golf club thefts disturbing and want to do what I reasonably can to protect ours. We bought a ParCar LSV to serve in lieu of a second car and also as a golf cart. We want to be able to shop and eat without returning home first to dismount the golf bags. I plan to chain the bags to the cart and then to figure out some way to lock/chain down the weather cover that folds down over the bags. I want to make the chains visible for the deterrent value. I'm thinking of a dog chain and a padlock. I know there are various club locks and locking bag hoods that cost a lot but wanted to give this idea a spin first. Yes, they could get the clubs out but it will take a lot more time to do so. I also plan to replace the Ping headcovers with a generic. The ba*tards will probably just steal the whole cart.

l2ridehd
12-26-2009, 11:17 AM
They make a cable lock for a computer lock that might work and is low cost. I would wrap the cable through the mounting brackets, then through the bag handles and lock. Yes they could cut the bag handles or remove the clubs one at time with no bag. But most people steal because they are lazy. And selling a golf set with the handle cut is a dead give away it was stolen. And if it is easier to remove the clubs from the cart parked next door then mine, they will probably go on to the next cart. It is like dead bolts on your home, just makes your's a little harder then the one next door.

TomW
12-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Maybe a bicycle cable lock would work too if it is long enough. They usually have a plactic sheath over the cable. I want the lock to be visible so the would-be theif will know they are facing a more difficult theft than one with no precautions. After living in a small town in the midwest for over 60 years, we are going to have to review our habits and patterns and adjust to the "big city ways."

Indy-Guy
12-26-2009, 12:04 PM
The Villages Pro Shops at the Country Clubs sell a nice cover with cable which looks like it would work good. You need to purchase a lock for it. I have purchased one and used it twice I like it very well. It sells for $50.00 and resident discount helped reduce it by 10%

Ooper
12-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I plan to chain the bags to the cart and then to figure out some way to lock/chain down the weather cover that folds down over the bags. I want to make the chains visible for the deterrent value. I'm thinking of a dog chain and a padlock.

That's exactly what I did. Cost less than $10 at Walmart and it works perfectly. One would need a cable cutter to free my bags and/or clubs. Takes less than a minute to secure 2 bags and all the clubs. Chain is about 10' long and wraps around bumper, thru the bag handles and the frame of the weather cover when it is in the down position. Takes less than a minute to lock up. When not in use, I put it in the tray under the seat.

kaydee
12-26-2009, 06:39 PM
I did the same thing as Ooper.....used chain and a padlock. When we do leave our cart unattended with the clubs....the weather cover is dropped down which has the chain attached, run the chain around the bumper and lock it. BTW, I removed the sunbrella from the frame, attached an O ring on the frame, made a small slit in the sunbrella and attached the chain. The weather cover can not be lifted when locked chain is wrapped around the bumper. It is by no means 100% guarantee of being fool proof but it is a deterent.

ajbrown
12-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Hot topic... I just posted the following in a thread a week or so ago at https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26224&highlight=stolen+golf+clubs

Here is what we did....

I notice the country clubs now sell a cover for $50/bag. My wife sewed one up using things laying around and a 7 foot cable from Lowes. The cable runs through the seam of the rain cover, through the golf bag handle and around the cart bag rack. Fool proof? NO, but maybe they go to the next cart ....

Some pictures if you are interested.

http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030207.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030203.jpg