PDA

View Full Version : It's Complicated

Boomer
12-29-2009, 11:59 PM
It's Complicated is the new Meryl Streep movie. She plays a woman in her 50's who has an affair with her ex-husband, played by Alec Baldwin. He had left her ten years ago for a younger woman, to whom he is now married. (At one point, Baldwin's character describes himself as "a walking cliché.")

Steve Martin plays an architect who is designing a new kitchen for Meryl Streep. (She is always cooking in this movie, too. I guess she is still somewhat in Julia Child mode.)

I liked the movie a lot. And I knew the screenplay had to have been written by a woman. So I looked it up and found that the writer/director was Nancy Meyers who wrote Something's Gotta Give, the movie with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton, from a few years ago. Meyers writes from the perspective of being 60 years old, so she understands the characters she is writing.

Anyway, it is a good movie. And at the end Meryl Streep picks the right man. But some of you might disagree. (Maybe we will have to talk about that some night over in the "Girl Talk" thread.)

Boomer

graciegirl
12-30-2009, 09:01 AM
It's Complicated is the new Meryl Streep movie. She plays a woman in her 50's who has an affair with her ex-husband, played by Alec Baldwin. He had left her ten years ago for a younger woman, to whom he is now married. (At one point, Baldwin's character describes himself as "a walking cliché.")

Steve Martin plays an architect who is designing a new kitchen for Meryl Streep. (She is always cooking in this movie, too. I guess she is still somewhat in Julia Child mode.)

I liked the movie a lot. And I knew the screenplay had to have been written by a woman. So I looked it up and found that the writer/director was Nancy Meyers who wrote Something's Gotta Give, the movie with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton, from a few years ago. Meyers writes from the perspective of being 60 years old, so she understands the characters she is writing.

Anyway, it is a good movie. And at the end Meryl Streep picks the right man. But some of you might disagree. (Maybe we will have to talk about that some night over in the "Girl Talk" thread.)

Boomer

Now I have to see it. I wanted to see it but it was given a C- rating in the Cincinnati Enquirer and I don't go to many movies. (Don't know why) This one appealed to me so I will have to see it now after such a good description... and see which fella she chose.

Boomer
12-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Now I have to see it. I wanted to see it but it was given a C- rating in the Cincinnati Enquirer and I don't go to many movies. (Don't know why) This one appealed to me so I will have to see it now after such a good description... and see which fella she chose.

Good morning, Gracie,

I did not look at the Enquirer's review. I will have to track it down later. But something tells me that the reviewer is probably a kid -- to us anyway. A young person's perspective is likely to not be there or even close. And that includes the part where Meryl Streep's character toys with the idea of plastic surgery and has been holding up one of her eyelids. (Watch closely and you will see her do that.) It is a chick flick I guess. But Mr. Boomer liked the part with Steve Martin in the party scene.

When you see it, I hope you will let us know who you would have picked.

Boomer

grandma-annie
12-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Does anyone know anything about the movie, Nine showing at Spanish Springs....

tony
12-30-2009, 09:38 PM
What did Mr. Boomer think of the movie? That is very important. And how did you get him into a chick flick? Did you drug him?

TednRobin
12-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Ted and I went to see it on Christmas Day, we both enjoyed it alot. As for being a chick flick I gotta say Ted stayed awake for the entire movie which is saying alot. :popcorn:

another Linda
12-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Sounds great, Boomer. Like GG I don't go to many movies. Meryl Streep is a favorite of mine. And, Tony, for all you know Mr. Boomer may prefer a chick flick over blood and guts any day. So there!

tony
12-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I can't imagine that.

jojo
12-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Like Gracie I saw a negative review but sure am glad that friends talked me into seeing It's Complicated with them. Meryl Streep was wonderful. Did not expect to laugh so much and so hard. I thought it was a great movie, albeit Tony probably a chick flick. Boomer, the "logos" in me says she picked the right one. The "eros" side says maybe not.

zummy
12-30-2009, 10:50 PM
My better half and I saw it yesterday. We both enjoyed it.

The moral of the story is to do it right the first time because we don't get any do overs!

Boomer
12-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Sounds great, Boomer. Like GG I don't go to many movies. Meryl Streep is a favorite of mine. And, Tony, for all you know Mr. Boomer may prefer a chick flick over blood and guts any day. So there!

Hi Linda,

Whenever I suggest going to a movie, Mr. Boomer always asks hopefully if anything gets "blowed up real good." (the line from the old SCTV skits with John Candy and some other guy who did the Farm Film Report.) But, alas, when I pick the movies, nothing ever gets "blowed up." He said that this one was mostly a chick flick but he liked the party scene. -- even though nothing got "blowed up" at the party.

Hi jojo,

I see how her choice might look like "logos" but I think there could be a whole lot of "eros" in it, too. I think the one she chose is actually the one who loves women. Really. (I better be careful. I could give away the ending and only a couple of precincts are in so far. And besides, it is getting dangerously close to midnight when I cannot allow myself to type anything because I get really sleepy -- and I could start explaining exactly what I mean.)

And so....goodnight.

Dr. Ruth Boomer

cologal
12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Like Gracie I saw a negative review but sure am glad that friends talked me into seeing It's Complicated with them. Meryl Streep was wonderful. Did not expect to laugh so much and so hard. I thought it was a great movie, albeit Tony probably a chick flick. Boomer, the "logos" in me says she picked the right one. The "eros" side says maybe not.

I will go to any movie with Meryl Streep in it.....saw it yesterday. I laughed so hard it hurt. The screen with the computer was beyond hysterical.

I would highly recommend.

Peazoup
12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Saw the movie last night with my girlfriend buddies and thought it was hysterical. Loved the party scene and the computer scene. I laughed so hard I almost ..............
Did she end up with the right guy? I'm not so sure.

kit9240
12-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Wonderful movie! Anyone who has been divorced can relate to this movie on so many levels. It was very clear that the kids did not want them to get back together. I wasn't sure until the very last scene, but I think she made the right choice. Alec Baldwin played his true to life character - 'a real dirt bag'! Meryl is so natural and real, someone you might know and see at the supermarket. She dresses like a normal woman. Refreshing! She is very charming. The son-in-law was hysterical (he's on The Office). I highly recommend this movie and will probably see it a 2nd time!

Happy New Year to all!!

sschuler1
12-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Can't wait to see this movie. Unfortunately, my hubby runs kicking and screaming for the door when I try to drag him to a chick flick. So I will probably have to go and see this by myself.

I also can't wait to go see "Nine", which is a Broadway musical hit that they made into a movie. (They seem to be doing a lot of that lately, which is A-OK with me!) I love musicals, but hubby is resistant to this form of entertainment as well. Will have to go see this one with some of my theatre buddies.

Boomer
01-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Wonderful movie! Anyone who has been divorced can relate to this movie on so many levels. It was very clear that the kids did not want them to get back together. I wasn't sure until the very last scene, but I think she made the right choice. Alec Baldwin played his true to life character - 'a real dirt bag'! Meryl is so natural and real, someone you might know and see at the supermarket. She dresses like a normal woman. Refreshing! She is very charming. The son-in-law was hysterical (he's on The Office). I highly recommend this movie and will probably see it a 2nd time!

Happy New Year to all!!

I laughed out loud when I saw what you said about the kids not wanting her to take him back. I knew that, too. Like you said, it was very clear.

But after the movie, I said to Mr. Boomer, "And the kids did not want her to take him back."

And Mr. Boomer said, "Huh? What are you talking about? I did not see that part. Nobody said that."

Geez. When you can get them to go along to a chick flick by promising them popcorn or Reese's Pieces or whatever, you find out afterward that they needed for the movie to have subtitles.

Boomer

tony
01-01-2010, 09:58 AM
The only thing that gets me into chick flick is a box of Dots. Large, preferably. And that is not complicated.

I never, ever understand chick flicks. I think they are all filmed in a dialect of a lost language of Upper Cumgula.

Boomer
01-01-2010, 10:32 AM
The only thing that gets me into chick flick is a box of Dots. Large, preferably. And that is not complicated.

I never, ever understand chick flicks. I think they are all filmed in a dialect of a lost language of Upper Cumgula.

So, Mr. Tony, I guess where chick flicks are concerned, every man has his price.

- - - -

And the thing I explained earlier about Mr. B. completely missing the thing about the kids not wanting them to get back together....well, it just got worse....

Mr. Boomer just wandered in here in search of coffee and I told him that I had been writing about him this morning.

And he always says, "The hapless Mr. Boomer again huh."

And I said, "I wrote about you at the chick flick and one of the parts you missed completely."

And........then he said, "Huh? I thought the kids wanted them to get back together."

:shocked: Boomer

tony
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I am cheap, and I stay bought.

graciegirl
01-01-2010, 11:14 AM
So, Mr. Tony, I guess where chick flicks are concerned, every man has his price.

- - - -

And the thing I explained earlier about Mr. B. completely missing the thing about the kids not wanting them to get back together....well, it just got worse....

Mr. Boomer just wandered in here in search of coffee and I told him that I had been writing about him this morning.

And he always says, "The hapless Mr. Boomer again huh."

And I said, "I wrote about you at the chick flick and one of the parts you missed completely."

And........then he said, "Huh? I thought the kids wanted them to get back together."

:shocked: Boomer

Sweetie isn't in to writing on here.

I won't ever watch the three stooges. It's stupid.

I like our teams to win football games but it stresses me out to watch them. I cook yummy things and come in every once a while and sneak a peek at the score.

Henry will go to a ballet only if one our offspring is in it. Ditto other arty things....Well he will go if I ask three times.

He will go to a chick flick. He misses about half of what is happening. I sometimes have to translate feminese to him.

but....he is just wonderful and kind and very long suffering. Anyone that knows me knows that.

OH...the point is...I think if we were all alike there would be no offspring.

Russ_Boston
01-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Can't wait to see this movie. Unfortunately, my hubby runs kicking and screaming for the door when I try to drag him to a chick flick. So I will probably have to go and see this by myself.

Linda and I saw it last night - I didn't think it was TOO much of a chick flick. We both loved it. At some points the audience was laughing so hard I think we missed some of the jokes we couldn't hear! I guess the plot is somewhat predictable and from a woman's POV but we really enjoyed it.

tony
01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Russ! Russ!

What are you saying? Even the chicks said it was a chick flick.

Russ!

Shirleevee
01-04-2010, 12:30 AM

I also can't wait to go see "Nine", which is a Broadway musical hit that they made into a movie. (They seem to be doing a lot of that lately, which is A-OK with me!) I love musicals, but hubby is resistant to this form of entertainment as well. Will have to go see this one with some of my theatre buddies.

Tell hubby, that Peter will go with me.........he loves Meryl in anything and then they can go shoot some pool! lol

grandma-annie
01-04-2010, 07:43 PM
I saw it yesterday and thought it was hysterical..... even the guys wll enjoy it.

Pturner
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
We don't go to many movies either. One reason is, hubby doesn't like chick flicks and I don't like shoot 'em up bang bang. Nonetheless, we both want to see, "It's Complicated". Go figure. Maybe it's the great cast. Maybe it's the humor. We both like funny movies (though I must agree with GG, "The Three Stooges" is stu-pid.)

Another reason we don't go to movies is they play them so loud! A third reason (I know, I digress) is that I can't pause them to go to the bathroom. My Indian name is Princess Peezalot. :icon_wink:

I think we'll go see this one though. Can't wait.

BritParrothead
01-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Husband & I saw it yesterday. Very enjoyable!

Shirleevee
01-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Tell hubby, that Peter will go with me.........he loves Meryl in anything and then they can go shoot some pool! lol

We both laughed hysterically! Yes Mr. C. Schuler, Peter too LOL

another Linda
01-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, Boomer. We finally got a chance to see this and loved it. Even DH thought it was pretty good despite its high chick-flick aura.

Boomer
05-07-2010, 06:29 PM
I know. I know. This is a really old thread. But in case there is anybody out there who wanted to see this movie, but missed it, I just wanted to let you know that it is on Direct TV pay per view now. I really liked this one.

Boomer

Pturner
05-07-2010, 06:34 PM
We saw it. We loved it! If you are a Comcast customer, I see that it's available On Demand there too.

Pturner
05-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Russ! Russ!

Russ!

It's funny, Tony. Not just in a chick flick sort of way. Really. Bet you'd like it.

Russ_Boston
05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Russ! Russ!

Russ!

I said (and capitalized) that it wasn't TOO much of a chick flick. It was more comedy than romantic comedy.