PDA

View Full Version : blueberry bushes

Ohiogirl
01-07-2010, 07:08 PM
ok, I know it's cold outside, but I'm thinking spring. I am still in Ohio, but just retired (still in my first full week of not working and already can't figure out how I ever had time to work, and not even living in TV yet).

I have a Florida gardening book, and have just discovered a delightful gardening website - southernliving.com/grumpygardener.com.

I believe that TV is just about as far south as you can be to grow blueberries successfully (the rabbiteye varieties)? but was wondering if anyone has tried this? Did it work?

Also, I have a CYV, and the area - part of the side patio near the gate - where I want to put them, would only get a couple of hours of full sun, I think. The CYV next door shades it in the morning and my villa shades it in the afternoon. Does anyone know if this would work?

We really love blueberries.

Ohiogirl
01-09-2010, 11:49 AM
No one grows blueberries?

cherylncliff
02-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Let me start by saying we aren't yet in Fl and I haven't grown blueberries myself (you may see why later)...however, we live in Michigan, where they grow a LOT of blueberries (yum!). Here is a link from the Univ. of Fl for you-usually the extension services of the state univeristies are great resources for horticultural information: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg359

Blueberries typically need as much sun as you can give them to produce a good crop. They usually grow to be about 12-15 feet tall and as much as 8 feet across. Most cultivars require cross pollination - including, I think, those which would do best in Florida. They won't produce much in the way of fruit for as much as 3-5 years and require a good bit of judicious pruning :eek:(removing old canes and the like). They like acidic soil and up here, anyway, grow best in moist but well drained areas with a good bit organic matter. Not sure about the cultivars for Florida. You will probably need to add organic matter to the (from what I've seen in TV) very sandy soils. They do produce underground "runners" and may well outgrow your intended area for them. They also require a fair amount of light but frequent fertilization thoughout the growing season.

Birds love them as much as we do so you will need to net the bushes if you want some for yourself as they will eat them before you may think they are ripe enough to harvest. (And beware of purple birdie droppings!)

I don't want to discourage you, but read up on it before you make a decision for yourself. Good luck! :thumbup: