Hotter in NYC than it is here

Brandy4
07-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Yeah! but it won't last for months
Like it does hete!

Wiotte
07-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Hotter in NYC than it is here

NYC hot is worse. Add in the pollution, haze, stench, horn honking, subway stations, traffic, tourists,bike messengers & a gazzillon people, you’ve got a recipe for pure misery unmatched anywhere on this planet. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chatbrat
07-02-2018, 12:51 PM
And heat radiating of the sidewalks & buildings--unbearable--construction rules were -if a combination of heat & 20 % of the humid reached 100--work ended /union contract--lots of times crews went home 10:00 AM--& they got paid for the day

Wiotte
07-02-2018, 12:58 PM
And heat radiating of the sidewalks & buildings--unbearable--construction rules were -if a combination of heat & 20 % of the humid reached 100--work ended /union contract--lots of times crews went home 10:00 AM--& they got paid for the day

You’re damn right we did [emoji1303]

patfla06
07-02-2018, 01:30 PM
And I used to have to wear pantyhose in that weather.
YUCK!

Chatbrat
07-02-2018, 01:43 PM
And I was a contractor filling the envelope--gotta love NYC & NJ cajing, cajing--great place to make $$ but a lousy place to live--exceptfor the restaurants--in NJ I hit singles & doubles--NYC every job was a home run

Buffalo Jim
07-02-2018, 01:44 PM
I recall my shoes sinking into the softened pavement of Mid-Town as I walked to the train station on those very very hot days .

bgnn54
07-02-2018, 02:01 PM
Hot Hot Hot here in Maine too. I'd rather be in TV

ColdNoMore
07-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Yeah! but it won't last for months
like it does here!

Yep. :oops:

It even got unbearably hot and humid when I was a teenager in Nebraska...but you always knew it wouldn't last.

It seems 'summer' started here back at the beginning of May and the thought of probably 2+ more months of it...is a bit depressing. :oops:

On the flip side, putting up Christmas decorations while wearing shorts, instead of running inside every 15 minutes to thaw frozen fingers...will have me smiling. :D

rustyp
07-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Second day in a row 90 degrees here in the Adirondacks. Last time we had a 90 degree day was 2013. This is unbearable for me. Bless those of you that worship this.

eweissenbach
07-02-2018, 02:35 PM
There has not been a day since the first of May that the high temperature in TV has been as high as here in Kansas City. :pepper2:

Daddymac
07-02-2018, 08:20 PM

39years 7 Months in Construction.
Union: Heavy equipment operator N.Y.
**NEVER HAPPENED**. Only in Non-Unions Minds.
HATERS WILL HATE. *LIVE BETTER, WORK UNION !!!!

IndianaJones
07-02-2018, 08:22 PM
I'll just save my comments until January 2019. Talk to ya'll then about the "heat"!!!

Wiotte
07-02-2018, 09:13 PM
39years 7 Months in Construction.

Union: Heavy equipment operator N.Y.

**NEVER HAPPENED**. Only in Non-Unions Minds.

HATERS WILL HATE. *LIVE BETTER, WORK UNION !!!!

Chatbrat is correct DaddyMac. I worked Local 25 IBEW, site temps were recorded both summer & winter. Thermometers were located throughout the job. Remember, living well is the best revenge.

Barefoot
07-02-2018, 11:14 PM
Hot Hot Hot here in Maine too. I'd rather be in TVHot in Ontario, Canada, at our lake cabin.
93/94 degrees, unseasonably hot and humid.

Wiotte
07-02-2018, 11:19 PM
Hot in Ontario, Canada, at our lake cabin.

Damn woman, jump in the lake !

CFrance
07-03-2018, 04:52 AM
Hot in Ontario, Canada, at our lake cabin.

Damn woman, jump in the lake !

That's what I told her, but she whined that the lake is too cold!:rant-rave:

stan the man
07-03-2018, 08:09 AM
I think it's the Kool-Aid that keeps me going.

fw102807
07-03-2018, 09:18 AM
Not complaining...there is no snow

Barefoot
07-03-2018, 09:53 AM
That's what I told her, but she whined that the lake is too cold!:rant-rave:
There is a reason the pools in TV are maintained at 83 degrees.
Otherwise it would be uncivilized. :faint:

EPutnam1863
07-03-2018, 10:49 AM
Hot Hot Hot here in Maine too. I'd rather be in TV

So you would rather give up the historical and coastal beauty of Maine and be hot, hot, hot for 6 months in TV?

EPutnam1863
07-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Second day in a row 90 degrees here in the Adirondacks. Last time we had a 90 degree day was 2013. This is unbearable for me. Bless those of you that worship this.

That is the difference...we know it won't be hot for 6 months up north as it is in down south.

fw102807
07-03-2018, 10:54 AM
So you would rather give up the historical and coastal beauty of Maine and be hot, hot, hot for 6 months in TV?

The coast is a very small, and this time of year, crowded part of Maine...so yes

EPutnam1863
07-03-2018, 10:55 AM
I'll just save my comments until January 2019. Talk to ya'll then about the "heat"!!!

Why won't Floridians share honest comments with Northerners in July but laugh at them in January?

EPutnam1863
07-03-2018, 10:58 AM
The coast is a very small, and this time of year, crowded part of Maine...so yes

It gets very crowded in Florida during the winters.

biker1
07-03-2018, 11:14 AM
It is very warm and can be quite muggy in June, July, August, and September. It is very nice the rest of the year. Does that work?

Why won't Floridians share honest comments with Northerners in July but laugh at them in January?

fw102807
07-03-2018, 12:11 PM

People who move to Florida do so because they would prefer to deal with the heat than with the cold, snow and ice. It's hot but we like it.

Wiotte
07-03-2018, 12:32 PM
People who move to Florida do so because they would prefer to deal with the heat than with the cold, snow and ice. It's hot but we like it.

[emoji1303]

dewilson58
07-03-2018, 01:04 PM

I moved to Florida because that is were The Villages is located.

:beer3:

fw102807
07-03-2018, 01:08 PM

:beer3:

Another brilliant reason :clap2:

tomwed
07-03-2018, 01:12 PM

:beer3:I agree. This would work in any snow free state.

Wiotte
07-03-2018, 01:14 PM
I agree. This would work in any snow free state.

May I add snow free & State Income tax free.

Abby10
07-03-2018, 02:11 PM

Just looking over the responses to this thread, it doesn't look like many villagers mind the heat. In fact, I would say their comments reflect mostly a happiness to be in TV no matter the time of year. Not sure what you see as dishonest?

If the heat bothers you so much, maybe some reverse psychology would work here. While they laugh at you in January, you can just laugh at them in July......that way everybody's happy!

Wiotte
07-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Just looking over the responses to this thread, it doesn't look like many villagers mind the heat. In fact, I would say their comments reflect mostly a happiness to be in TV no matter the time of year. Not sure what you see as dishonest?

If the heat bothers you so much, maybe some reverse psychology would work here. While they laugh at you in January, you can just laugh at them in July......that way everybody's happy!

They can laugh all they want, I love heat. No one likes snow, ice, freezing rain and if you do you also remember your first nose rub.

fw102807
07-03-2018, 02:23 PM
They can laugh all they want, I love heat. No one likes snow, ice, freezing rain and if you do you also remember your first nose rub.

:agree:

Nucky
07-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Snow and Shrinkage. No-Goodski!

Wiotte
07-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Snow and Shrinkage. No-Goodski!

Aren’t the Irish pre-shrunk ?

Abby10
07-03-2018, 02:40 PM
A few years back, my husband and I purposefully spent the full month of August in TV. We wanted to see what it was like and to determine for ourselves whether it would be tolerable or not. Maybe we hit a good year, I don't know, but we found it tolerable and many days even comfortable. If we were outside during the middle of the day, we either stayed in shaded areas or under patios/lanais with fans. The evenings cooled down some and there always seemed to be a breeze. It felt to me as if between the sandy soil and very hot sun, it actually burned off the humidity somewhat. Does that make sense? Not so here in the mid-Atlantic at all. When it's hot it is stifling and although the temp may go down in the evening it still feels like a steam bath when you walk outside. And it can last for days, sometimes weeks at a time. The humidity and resultant heat index is so high it truly is intolerable. I attribute it here to the very damp soil (a lot of clay) and the overwhelming number of deciduous trees, not to mention the congestion and other things already mentioned by others on this thread. Unless we have a very dry summer up here, it always feels somewhat damp. Mix that with heat and that's what I call uncomfortable.

And let's not even discuss utility bills. The size of my house up north is not triple the size of my house in Florida but the utility bills sure are! Not happy about that at all!

Wiotte
07-03-2018, 02:52 PM
A few years back, my husband and I purposefully spent the full month of August in TV. We wanted to see what it was like and to determine for ourselves whether it would be tolerable or not. Maybe we hit a good year, I don't know, but we found it tolerable and many days even comfortable. If we were outside during the middle of the day, we either stayed in shaded areas or under patios/lanais with fans. The evenings cooled down some and there always seemed to be a breeze. It felt to me as if between the sandy soil and very hot sun, it actually burned off the humidity somewhat. Does that make sense? Not so here in the mid-Atlantic at all. When it's hot it is stifling and although the temp may go down in the evening it still feels like a steam bath when you walk outside. And it can last for days, sometimes weeks at a time. The humidity and resultant heat index is so high it truly is intolerable. I attribute it here to the very damp soil (a lot of clay) and the overwhelming number of deciduous trees, not to mention the congestion and other things already mentioned by others on this thread. Unless we have a very dry summer up here, it always feels somewhat damp. Mix that with heat and that's what I call uncomfortable.

And let's not even discuss utility bills. The size of my house up north is not triple the size of my house in Florida but the utility bills sure are! Not happy about that at all!

As temperature increases, relative humidity decreases.

tuccillo
07-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Humidity (relative) is a fairly useless quantity. Dewpoint is a much more useful quantity. It is a measure of the actual amount of moisture in the air. If the dewpoint is in the mid to upper 70s it is pretty miserable. Dewpoints in the mid 50's is pretty nice. You can have high relative humidities with low dewpoints and it feels pretty nice. Once the temperature climbs into the mid 90's you will hardly ever see relative humidities over 50% but I can assure you that 95 with a relative humidity of 50% is pretty nasty weather.

A little tidbit of information for golfers. Golf balls fly further (marginally) when the air is muggier than when it is dry, assuming the same temperature.

fw102807
07-03-2018, 03:37 PM
It is hot, you either like it or you don't. I love it here but have friends who would be miserable because for some very strange reason I will never understand they like the cold.

EPutnam1863
07-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Humidity (relative) is a fairly useless quantity. Dewpoint is a much more useful quantity. It is a measure of the actual amount of moisture in the air. If the dewpoint is in the mid to upper 70s it is pretty miserable. Dewpoints in the mid 50's is pretty nice. You can have high relative humidities with low dewpoints and it feels pretty nice. Once the temperature climbs into the mid 90's you will hardly ever see relative humidities over 50% but I can assure you that 95 with a relative humidity of 50% is pretty nasty weather.

A little tidbit of information for golfers. Golf balls fly further (marginally) when the air is muggier than when it is dry, assuming the same temperature.

Who cares about index, etc. etc.? When it is hot, it is hot. When it is humid, it is humid. When it is hot and humid, it is hot and humid, and analyzing it all won't help make it cooler.

EPutnam1863
07-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Another brilliant reason :clap2:

If The Villages were in North Dakota, would you have moved there?

JSR22
07-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Not a chance that I would have moved to ND. I love FL it is sunny year round. When it is hot I go into my pool and read.

tuccillo
07-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Excuse me for trying to bring some additional insight into the discussion and pointing out what metric people should look at. Is there no limit to what people will complain about?

Who cares about index, etc. etc.? When it is hot, it is hot. When it is humid, it is humid. When it is hot and humid, it is hot and humid, and analyzing it all won't help make it cooler.

fw102807
07-03-2018, 04:03 PM

No that was just a bonus

EPutnam1863
07-03-2018, 04:09 PM

It is not just the heat but the deceit of those who claim it is not hot during the summers. I lived in FL 3 times so I know they are lying. I feel sorry for those who allow themselves to be duped into thinking Florida (not just the Villages) is a paradise where everyone is happy fishing, golfing, running, being outdoors all day every single day of the year.

However, I do notice that some of you here on this thread and a few other threads are honest by admitting it is hot. I appreciate this because it then means that I can trust those people.

kittygilchrist
07-03-2018, 04:18 PM
My Grandmother, a wise and Godly woman, would have gently said, “You’ns oughten to talk so ugly.”

eweissenbach
07-03-2018, 04:43 PM
I have lived in Fargo, ND (loved it), St Paul (loved it) Kansas City (loved it), Springfield, Mo. (Loved it), Topeka, Ks (loved it) and a few other places I loved. I have a villa in TV ( love it). Methinks that being happy is an attitude rather than a location.

fw102807
07-03-2018, 04:57 PM
I have lived in Fargo, ND (loved it), St Paul (loved it) Kansas City (loved it), Springfield, Mo. (Loved it), Topeka, Ks (loved it) and a few other places I loved. I have a villa in TV ( love it). Methinks that being happy is an attitude rather than a location.

Nope, I was absolutely miserable all winter up north and now I am happy as a clam all year round.

Abby10
07-03-2018, 08:50 PM

Thanks, tucillo, I know you know of what you speak. In saying that I appreciate the explanation. Now I understand why on the Philly news today they were talking so much about the dew point. It was 75 here today and they were stressing that is why it felt so terrible outside. The temps were in the mid 90's with a heat index of 104. At least it's making me feel better about visiting TV in July! We had such an unusually beautiful spring here temperature-wise that I was feeling hesitant to leave, but I think this was just the push I needed. :smiley:

Wiotte
07-03-2018, 10:12 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180704/8b4f001a0266fca4e072d2ca1b29e507.jpg

Schaumburger
07-04-2018, 04:55 AM

Thank you for the information on dewpoint. Chicago has had a pretty hot and humid summer so far, and the weather forecasters on the Chicago television stations usually focus on the dewpoint to illustrate how muggy or comfortable the weather will be in the summer.

Schaumburger
07-04-2018, 05:03 AM

:cryin2: If I never saw another snow plow, snow shovel, snow brush, ice scraper or bag of ice melter, it would be 100% fine with me.

Abby10
07-04-2018, 07:07 AM

What are you trying to do? Make me have NOTHING but nightmares in July?

fw102807
07-04-2018, 07:11 AM
Not to worry yet

Red-hot planet: All-time heat records have been set all over the world during the past week (http://a.msn.com/04/en-us/AAzxdnO?ocid=se)

Barefoot
07-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Red-hot planet: All-time heat records have been set all over the world during the past week (http://a.msn.com/04/en-us/AAzxdnO?ocid=se)
Very interesting article, thanks!

rustyp
09-21-2018, 06:36 AM
I see on the national weather it is still over 100 degree heat index. Is this normal for end of Sept? I'm thinking of delaying our return this year by a month. Into sweater weather here in the Adirondacks now.

billethkid
09-21-2018, 07:04 AM
Nope, I was absolutely miserable all winter up north and now I am happy as a clam all year round.

Pretty much says it all in one sentence!!!

I try not to go anyplace in the winter that does not have palm trees!!

tuccillo
09-21-2018, 08:06 AM
Here is the climate data for The Villages. It cools down substantially in October as well as raining less. I am sorry about the formatting - can't seem to clean it up.

Month "Avg Low" "Avg High" "Record Low" "Record High" "Precip"

January 45° 68° 16° (1985) 86° (1991) 3.32"
February 47° 71° 23° (1967) 89° (1991) 2.87"
March 52° 76° 25° (1980) 91° (1991) 4.03"
April 57° 81° 32° (1962) 95° (1991) 2.8"
May 64° 86° 46° (1992) 99° (1962) 4.13"
June 69° 90° 53° (1984) 100° (1985) 6.13"
July 71° 91° 47° (2005) 100° (1991) 5.67"
August 71° 91° 61° (1978) 101° (1991) 6.2"
September 69° 89° 52° (1981) 100° (1990) 5.76"
October 62° 83° 39° (1989) 97° (1990) 2.54"
November 54° 76° 24° (1970) 89° (1985) 2.53"
December 47° 69° 16° (1962) 88° (2000) 2.65"

I see on the national weather it is still over 100 degree heat index. Is this normal for end of Sept? I'm thinking of delaying our return this year by a month. Into sweater weather here in the Adirondacks now.

eweissenbach
09-21-2018, 09:30 AM
Here in KC we have had 100 + heat index regularly since early May. Yesterday was 100+, but starting today we are supposed to have highs in the high 70s and low 80s for the next 10 days. Happy to see fall temps come. We spent August in TV and were not surprised or turned off by the heat and humidity (no worse than Mo.) but were rather amazed by the daily afternoon showers. I love fall in Missouri, but would likely also love fall in Florida since I loved fall in North Dakota, Minnesota, Kansas, and Iowa. Apparently I love fall, much like the other three seasons!

BK001
09-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Here, here! I couldn't agree more.

manaboutown
09-21-2018, 11:00 AM
For the next week or so where I am now we will have overnight lows in the mid 60s and highs in the low to mid 70s. No complaints.

2BNTV
09-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Florida has surpassed NY as the third most populace state because of the heat, errrrrrr................snow. :D

I will admit it gets hot during the summer months in FL but it's a lot better than dealing with the snow. Just remember, it's only temporary for NY'ers.

I remember a couple of times when temps in NY reached 100 with 100% humidity. It was unbearable before A/C's came into existence.Thank goodness for A/C.

I no longer say four letter words, like snow and work! :smiley:

tuccillo
09-21-2018, 05:43 PM
Just for the record, 100F with 100% humidity (relative) doesn't actually ever happen. Typically the relative humidity will be about 50% (maximum) on a very humid day with 100F temperature. I understand that you are trying to say it was hot and humid. This is why relative humidity is not a very useful metric. Dewpoint is a better metric is look at for a sense of mugginess.

I remember a couple of times when temps in NY reached 100 with 100% humidity. It was unbearable before A/C's came into existence.Thank goodness for A/C.

Abby10
09-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Florida has surpassed NY as the third most populace state because of the heat, errrrrrr................snow. :D

I will admit it gets hot during the summer months in FL but it's a lot better than dealing with the snow. Just remember, it's only temporary for NY'ers.

I no longer say four letter words, like snow and work! :smiley:

You are right about the unbearable humidity up here in the mid-atlantic. A co-worker of mine has never had central air but has decided this year to have it installed. Like he said, he can stand the heat, it's the humidity up here that has gotten to him.

I spent 2 weeks this past July in TV and a few years back the whole month of August. I thought the weather was quite comfortable compared to the oppressive humidity up this way that can go on for weeks on end. It is in the low 70's up here today. My A/C has been set on 78 all day and it keeps going on and off. I would love to open my windows since it's technically cooler outside but I know letting in all that humidity will make me say "UGH" later.

2BNTV
09-22-2018, 10:40 AM
I have to admit that I use one four letter word, "COLD". :cold:

rustyp
09-26-2018, 06:38 AM
Today:
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 94. Heat index values as high as 103. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph in the afternoon.

Does this ever end ? In the Adirondacks we would put the lifeguards chair on the frozen lake and have a pool (like the superbowl) at the local establishment for who came closest to the day the chair sunk in the lake. That was our first day of spring.

rustyp
09-27-2018, 06:41 AM
Today:
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 94. Heat index values as high as 102. South southeast wind around 5 mph.

Ground Hog Day

SFSkol
09-27-2018, 06:44 AM
Guess it's not looking too good for NATIONAL SCARF DAY.

NEW DAY PROCLAMATION | NATIONAL SCARF DAY | September 27 - National Day Calendar (https://nationaldaycalendar.com/2018/09/25/new-day-proclamation-national-scarf-day-september-27/)