PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite programs

alfordaln
01-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Firefox, Convertxtodvd, WinRAR, 7-Zip, Dziobas Rar Player (Allows you to play the first, etc part of an RAR file to see the quallty of the video) VLC player, DAEMON Tools, dBpoweramp, Itunes, Dvd decrypter, Dvd Shrink, Imgburn, Speedfan, etc.

Hawkwind
01-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Firefox, Convertxtodvd, WinRAR, 7-Zip, Dziobas Rar Player (Allows you to play the first, etc part of an RAR file to see the quallty of the video) VLC player, DAEMON Tools, dBpoweramp, Itunes, Dvd decrypter, Dvd Shrink, Imgburn, Speedfan, etc.

Alfordaln

99.9% of the people in TV will have no idea as to what an RAR file is and how they are used. Many of the other programs you mention are only known to the hacker / pirate community. Those that do know the hows and whys of these programs keep it behind closed doors as I have not met anyone in TV that will openly talk about using those programs.

The same would be true for Usenet newsgroups. I have been on Usenet since before there was such a thing as a web or a web browser. Remember when Usenet was the Internet? Every message had headers that were very long and things were transfered over a 300 baud phone modem. Programs were in bin format. Ah the good old days.

zcaveman
01-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Internet Explorer V8, MS Office - with Outlook as my email component and Word for documents, Quicken 8, Windows Explorer, AOLPress for HTML coding and WS_FTP95E as my FTP transfer program, WebWord and a Crossword Dictionary lifted from a Crossword program, Windows Media Player for most videos and music. Creator 6 for other Video/CD playing. I also use Norton NIS and AD-Aware for my security programs.

Make that 99.7% on the RAR files. I used to use it all the time to piece videos together and split them apart.

Comcast had USENET for a while and got rid of it. I used to solve a lot of problems with some of the forums out there back in the 90s.

Hawkwind
01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Comcast had USENET for a while and got rid of it. I used to solve a lot of problems with some of the forums out there back in the 90s.

Road Runner, Comcast, AT&T and a lot of others dumped the USENET due to the bandwidth that was being used to download movies, tv programs and software. You can still get USENET but you have to subscribe to a service to get it. Cost runs from about $10.00 and up depending on how much you download.

zcaveman
01-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Road Runner, Comcast, AT&T and a lot of others dumped the USENET due to the bandwidth that was being used to download movies, tv programs and software. You can still get USENET but you have to subscribe to a service to get it. Cost runs from about $10.00 and up depending on how much you download.

Thanks. I never knew why they dumped USENET. I figured it was because of some of the erotic content. But with the number of free forums and Google sites with answers, I find I do not need USENET anymore.