PDA

View Full Version : Steve's Golf Cars

NebraskaRon
02-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I am in the process of re-locating to The Villages.

I have taked to Steve at Steve's Golf Cars about some work on a used cart. He seems very knowledgeable, friendly, and honest. Anyone have any experience or thoughts about this business.

Thanks,

ajbrown
02-15-2010, 09:02 AM
I agree with everything you have said, but my experience is limited to talking with Steve about various issues. I am going to have him make me a set of 4 ga wires soon, so will know more after that ;)

Steve's was quite a bit more than Spano when it came to buying batteries, so like anything it depends on what you are doing and it never hurts to shop around....

NebraskaRon
02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I appreciate the information about Steve.

The battery situation is interesting. I know there are many types and quality levels in batteries, and I had the feeling talking to Steve that he wants to do everything first class to minimumize future problems. Like always, I guess it is a matter of choosing between cost and quality -- I'm just saying ...

Thanks again. I will also be getting some work done in the next month also, so maybe we can both post our experiences.

ajbrown
02-15-2010, 07:26 PM
I appreciate the information about Steve.

The battery situation is interesting. I know there are many types and quality levels in batteries, and I had the feeling talking to Steve that he wants to do everything first class to minimumize future problems. .

This afternoon, I just had 4 ga wires made to my lengths by Steve while I waited and got to talk to him for 60+ minutes or so. He is a good guy and is fun to talk to. I would trust him to do work on the cart.

That said, be aware of pricing. A Trojan T105 is a Trojan T105 period. If someone can sell me a Trojan T105 (Ken Spano) for $90 and someone else wants $135....... well you get the picture.

Ken Spano is also someone I trust to do work on my cart. Good to know a few folks to make sure what they want to do makes sense and the price is in line.....

NebraskaRon
02-15-2010, 07:53 PM
This afternoon, I just had 4 ga wires made to my lengths by Steve while I waited and got to talk to him for 60+ minutes or so. He is a good guy and is fun to talk to. I would trust him to do work on the cart.

That said, be aware of pricing. A Trojan T105 is a Trojan T105 period. If someone can sell me a Trojan T105 (Ken Spano) for $90 and someone else wants $135....... well you get the picture.

Ken Spano is also someone I trust to do work on my cart. Good to know a few folks to make sure what they want to do makes sense and the price is in line.....

Thanks for the report on your visit with Steve today. Your points about the battery prices are understood -- you are right about the price difference. I have also heard good reports about Ken Spano elsewhere -- so the answer is use them both as appropriate and check prices.

Thanks for your help!

Sparty6971
08-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Six-month update to Steve's Golf Cart for maintenance. My cart wouldn't charge, the brakes squealed like an old city bus, and my battery brackets were badly corroded. Yep, it's an older model bought used. Good price for the cart but needed some TLC. Anyway, I didn't want to spend a lot of time waiting on the repair crew. Called Steve's, they came out that afternoon, analyzed the problems, hauled it away and called me the next morning with their estimate. Good price? meh. . . But they did the work for me and it was done on time. Had it back day and half after they first looked at it. Maybe not the cheapest, don't know. But they do great work and they are fast. Sometimes that is what you need. I'll use them again.

coach
08-29-2010, 07:48 PM
We use Steve's for yearly maintenance on our 2003 Yamaha gas and 2004 E-Z-Go electric. We have always been pleased and satisfied with Steves work and would recommend him.

redwitch
08-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Steve's is definitely a good place to go buy semi-new tires -- $10/tire with wheels.

Another good, reliable golf cart mechanic is AAA (352/288-1192). If they can, they'll repair in your driveway (I think). If not, at their shop. They tuned up my cart (older Yamaha gas) in one day. Came when promised; delivered when promised. Great service, reasonable prices and knowledgeable about all makes and models. (This is also the mechanic Jim Followell uses, so you know they do a good job at a fair price.)

LI SNOWBIRD
09-06-2010, 06:38 PM
We were having problems with our electric cart and he took it for repair. One of the things he did was to replace the rear wheel bearing. When we got it back it was leaking oil frpm the repaired bearing. He picked the cart back up and fixed it--free (as he should have) nut charged for pick-up. when I called and said that we shouln't have to pay for pick up since it was his fault he replied that it wasn't and I had to pay. I did but would never use him again. I do business with another company who does repairs in your driveway and is much cheaper.
Just say no to .Steve

Funfan
09-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Is everyone aware the villages may have one of the best golf cart mechanics around? I recently had my golf car serviced by Michael with *********, and I now realize that my golf car was never really serviced properly by some of the other shops mentioned here. His knowledge, honestly and integrity was a welcome site to me, my cart has never started, stopped or ran better(2003 Yamaha gas). 4 of my neighbors have used him also recently with the same results. I found him in the village daily sun.

jebartle
09-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Is everyone aware the villages may have one of the best golf cart mechanics around? I recently had my golf car serviced by Michael with *********, and I now realize that my golf car was never really serviced properly by some of the other shops mentioned here. His knowledge, honestly and integrity was a welcome site to me, my cart has never started, stopped or ran better(2003 Yamaha gas). 4 of my neighbors have used him also recently with the same results. I found him in the village daily sun.

:BigApplause::BigApplause:

We agree, had BAD experiences with Steve's, but Michael at ********* is GREAT....VERY knowledgable...Knows ALL Carts!!!!

Halle
09-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the information, do you have a phone number for Michael?

jebartle
09-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the information, do you have a phone number for Michael?

Michael Thomas ********* 352-********
*********@gmail.com

jebartle
09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
352-********

HMLRHT1
09-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Is that the same ********* who used to post on this blog?

Funfan
09-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Glad to see others have found him, I know he is new here. Just had another neighbor use him 1 month after his cart was serviced by another well known company and many items of service were missed, looks like Michael has another customer for life. Not sure why his number doesnt show, but he is in the Village Daily Sun, which is how I fouind him, but I will try to post his number here also. 352 *** ****

Midge538
09-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Did some business with Steve in 2005 .... I have used "others" since.

Caribbean Soul
09-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I brought a used cart I bought to Steve. It ran worse after he worked on it than it did before. He said it was test driven before it left the shop. His workers said it wasn't. Also he doesn't have anyplace to test it.

And, he wouldn't back up his work.

There are plenty of reputable repair shops in and around the Villages. Don't take your cart to Steve.