PDA

View Full Version : dog owners home insurance

Bob Paul
02-14-2010, 10:29 AM
I am closing on my courtyard villa in March and am ready to look into Home owner's insurance. Are there any special premiums for certain breeds of dogs? (I have a german shepherd)

GatbTester
02-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a Jack Russell Terrier and he does have a few wires loose, so to be safe I included a dog rider on my home owner policy through the Villages. The company is ASI and the rider ran $25 per year, I believe, for some $5000 in coverage. Hope that helps you. Most insurance companies offer such a rider.

bluedog103
02-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I am closing on my courtyard villa in March and am ready to look into Home owner's insurance. Are there any special premiums for certain breeds of dogs? (I have a german shepherd)

We're also closing in March. I got two quotes, one from Sunshine, $25,000 in coverage was included with the policy. Another quote from ASI was for $50,000 in coverage for $25.00 per year. In both cases they asked if we have a german shepherd, pit bull or other aggressive breed. We don't. We have a mutt from the shelter and a shih-tzu.
I have had a german shepherd and I don't agree that these wonderful animals are naturally aggressive but I don't make the rules. My shepherd was the smartest, sweetest animal in the world. Unfortunately cancer took him from me way too soon. Good luck.

Bob Paul
02-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Do you know what the difference would be if your answer were yes to having a German Shepherd?

GatbTester
02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Bob, sorry.....I did not look at my policy...IT IS for $25,000 with ASI. That being said I do NOT recall them asking the breed of dog involved. I think it was generic in that respect; however, you certainly can call the Villages Insurance Department at 352-753-2280, and ask for Maria.

bluedog103
02-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Do you know what the difference would be if your answer were yes to having a German Shepherd?

Sorry, I don'tknow. I was surprised that they asked me. No other insurance agent has ever asked me that question.

billethkid
03-13-2010, 10:12 AM
never ever been one dime needing to be spent for damages due to "the dog". And now to read folks contemplating $5000-$25,000 dog insurance is beyond my comprehension.
I am obviously missing something.....for the last 70 years!.

btk

dacl1616
03-13-2010, 10:45 AM
People have gotten "sue" happy. You need to protect yourself any way you can now!!

Barefoot
03-13-2010, 10:53 AM
never ever been one dime needing to be spent for damages due to "the dog". And now to read folks contemplating $5000-$25,000 dog insurance is beyond my comprehension.
I am obviously missing something.....for the last 70 years!. btk

BTK, if you have a dog that bites someone, and they sue, you might be glad of the insurance. Some companies will refuse coverage to people with dogs that have a reputation of being aggressive.

For years I've been asked the dog question when I insure a property because I usually have at least two dogs. Aggressive breeds are usually considered to be pit bulls, german shepherds, chows, rotweillers. I don't agree, but I guess they are basing it on statistics. Or on the evident strength of the dogs.

zcaveman
03-13-2010, 12:51 PM

I was thinking about changing carriers a few years back and when they found out I had a shepherd/chow, the answer was - sorry we cannot insure you.

The Great Fumar
09-06-2010, 10:26 PM

Dog can't be above knee high legally............

getdul981
09-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Dog can't be above knee high legally............

Whose knee?

Mikeod
09-07-2010, 08:50 AM
My mom had a Rottweiler when she moved here, and went through hell trying to get homeowner's insurance. Most companies, including the one she had used in CA refused to issue a policy because of the dog. She finally got one through the Villages Insurance (?) and it was EXPENSIVE. If I remember correctly, her premium was around $700 more because of the dog's breed. The sad part is the dog would probably lick someone to death rather than bite them.

Pturner
09-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Is this just a Florida thing? I have never heard having to have dog insurance. Is it really based on the size of the dog? Great Danes, Golden Retrievers and big ole slobbering St. Benards are among the most gentle of dogs.

Or is this just a joke?

Barefoot
09-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Is this just a Florida thing? I have never heard having to have dog insurance. Is it really based on the size of the dog? Great Danes, Golden Retrievers and big ole slobbering St. Benards are among the most gentle of dogs. Or is this just a joke?

It is not a Florida thing. And it is definitely not based on size. In Canada, as well as in Florida, many Insurance Companies will deny you coverage if they deem your dog as having a tendency to aggession. In Ontario, it is illegal to own a pitbull.

And while many of us wouldn't agree on their definition of aggressive, they make the rules. Dogs that have been traditionally used for hunting large prey, such as rotweillers and pitbulls, are deemed dangerous. I'm not sure how chows and german shepherds got such a bad rap, possibly they tend to be more protective of their households.

JimJoe
09-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Is this just a Florida thing? I have never heard having to have dog insurance. Is it really based on the size of the dog? Great Danes, Golden Retrievers and big ole slobbering St. Benards are among the most gentle of dogs.

Or is this just a joke?

It is not just the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog. it is the breed. I have been around dogs my entire life. I have been attacked by small dogs and big ones. Pitbulls are easily the worst. Once they decide to attack, there is no stopping them short of a huge, potentially fatal fight. Big dogs such as labs and german shepards can be aggressive but can be deterred with counter measures such as sticks, yelling, and Pepper spray. Pepper spray will deter most breeds but not pitbulls. I now use a weed fork as a walking stick when I walk my dog, and I will use it to protect myself. I learned my lesson the hard way. JJ

GatorFan
09-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Allstate will write your home and accepts German Shepherds with no additional charge.