PDA

View Full Version : Golf Cart Heaters

villages07
02-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Brrr, with this cold winter it may be time to invest in a golf cart heater.

The best product seems to be GolfCat by Coleman which has an adaptor so that the propane canister/heater can be placed in the cart's cup holders. Alas, Ace Hardware has been sold out of them for months and won't be restocked til April. Price was about $90.

Walmart sells a similar, but different, Coleman propane heater for $58. It looks a lot like the GolfCat but doesn't have the cup holder adaptor. Instead the fan sits on a two prong stand (intended primarily for camping, I suppose).

So, the question is.... has anyone bought the Walmart product for their golf cart? Where/how did you place/install it? Are you happy with it?

Bogie Shooter
02-19-2010, 08:00 PM
buggies unlimited has them for $85
http://golf-carts.buggiesunlimited.com/search?asug=&w=golfcat&x=13&y=12

villages07
02-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks Bogie...I did see that; The $85 one is out of stock. There is another one for $89 that includes a propane filler/adaptor that appears to be in stock. But shipping is $18. It is a possibility.

I was curious whether the $58 Walmart product will fit the bill based on other experiences.

EdV
02-20-2010, 07:18 AM
V07,

While you wait for a response to your question about the $58 heater, let me give you a few thoughts.

I purchased the more expensive GolfCat heater.

First of all, these heaters are much larger and heavier than they appear to be in the pictures.

The cup holders in my Tomberlin E-merge are larger than the cup holder base of the GolfCat. So the heater flops around and would easily fall out while driving if I didn’t lash it down with a bungee cord.

And if you order one of these on-line right now, by the time it gets to you, you probably wouldn’t need it until next season anyway.

redwitch
02-20-2010, 08:31 AM
I have some renters who brought their propane heater for Indiana (yup, the ones who brought the cold with them, too). They say it fits their golf cart up north, but not any cart they've used here. :shrug: Anyway, they bring bungee cords to hold it in place. Don't know which model they have, but they did say it costs $80. Regardless, it looks pretty awkward. I've found a heavy jacket and blanket on my knees works as well and I never close the flap on the driver's side.

starflyte1
02-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Buggies unlimited has a different adaptor for the pre 2000 midyear model than for the mid year 2000-2009 Club Car.

EdV
02-20-2010, 08:27 PM
I really don’t want to sound like Chicken Little here but these little heaters can put out a lot of directional heat.

If they fall and/or are left in the wrong direction they can warp your acrylic windshield or melt part of your Sunbrella enclosure if you’re not careful. Just treat it with respect and all will be warm and fuzzy.

golfnut
02-21-2010, 01:16 AM
for those of u who find it doesn't fit and flops around, i used one of those foam koozies to make the holder fit better in the large cup holder, cut the koozie down so it's the right length....gn

EdV
02-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Great suggestion GN, I'll give it a try today.

Golf-Tinker
02-21-2010, 09:14 AM
You can also insert a small piece of cardboard stock in the holder as a wedge. Works fine.

bassman
02-21-2010, 10:19 AM
I have a coleman heater with the adapter and I wraped black elect.tape around the sides and it fits great.

Frank7
02-24-2010, 08:50 PM
The heater should be 3000 BTU's if for a cart , don't be fooled with the 1500 BTU's sold by Walmart & Ace

QUOTE=villages07;249599]Brrr, with this cold winter it may be time to invest in a golf cart heater.

The best product seems to be GolfCat by Coleman which has an adaptor so that the propane canister/heater can be placed in the cart's cup holders. Alas, Ace Hardware has been sold out of them for months and won't be restocked til April. Price was about $90.

Walmart sells a similar, but different, Coleman propane heater for $58. It looks a lot like the GolfCat but doesn't have the cup holder adaptor. Instead the fan sits on a two prong stand (intended primarily for camping, I suppose).

So, the question is.... has anyone bought the Walmart product for their golf cart? Where/how did you place/install it? Are you happy with it?[/QUOTE]

1jerry
05-29-2010, 05:30 PM
FYI the Coleman heater has a push button igniter. The $58 Walmart needs to be lit with a match or propane lighter.
I have the Coleman and wrap old reliable duct tape around the adapter base until its nice and tight. No bunge cord necessary

mikeandnancy1112
05-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Coleman is the best!

graciegirl
07-19-2011, 02:57 PM
The heater should be 3000 BTU's if for a cart , don't be fooled with the 1500 BTU's sold by Walmart & Ace

QUOTE=villages07;249599]Brrr, with this cold winter it may be time to invest in a golf cart heater.

So, the question is.... has anyone bought the Walmart product for their golf cart? Where/how did you place/install it? Are you happy with it?[/QUOTE]

My friend is looking at a cart with sliding doors. What do you suggest as a cooling device?

Bogie Shooter
07-19-2011, 03:05 PM
My friend is looking at a cart with sliding doors. What do you suggest as a cooling device?[/QUOTE]

Take off the doors.

red tail
07-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Brrr, with this cold winter it may be time to invest in a golf cart heater.

So, the question is.... has anyone bought the Walmart product for their golf cart? Where/how did you place/install it? Are you happy with it?

here is where i bought mine.

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/search_command.cmd?keyword=golf+cart+heater

aln
07-19-2011, 04:16 PM
My friend is looking at a cart with sliding doors. What do you suggest as a cooling device?

Take off the doors.[/QUOTE]

OR . . .Long Island Iced Tea !! :beer3:

angiefox10
07-19-2011, 06:42 PM
How often does it get that cold that you need a heater???? Can you buy a gas (Yamaha) cart with one?

elevatorman
07-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Heater fits in the cup holder. http://www.meijer.com/s/coleman-golfcat-perfecttemp-catalytic-heater-with-carry-case/_/R-108927;jsessionid=D04A61A03B81DC161727C8E047C2D3FA .instance04?CAWELAID=895421131&cmpid=goobase

angiefox10
07-19-2011, 08:31 PM
*looking around* hey you guys.... a question here....

How often does it get cold enough that you need a heater? :cold:

Don't everyone jump on this all at one time... I wouldn't want anyone to crash the forum....

Bill-n-Brillo
07-19-2011, 08:43 PM
How often does it get that cold that you need a heater???? Can you buy a gas (Yamaha) cart with one?

Angie, yes it DOES get that cold at times in the winter months in TV - morning temps can be below freezing. Even with the side curtains rolled down and zipped, some people will still be cold while riding in the cart.

Yamaha doesn't sell a heater as an accessory item. The GolfCat by Coleman seems to be the most popular aftermarket one. Ace Hardware sells them locally in TV - you can go look at one there in person to see what they're like. Check stores in your locale if you're not in TV at present.

Here's a thread I started last winter on the same topic:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34011

Obviously, the info in that thread on the deal at Meijer is now defunct. Current price there is now $82.82 plus sales tax and shipping through 08/01 - online only (not available in their stores):

http://www.meijer.com/s/coleman-golfcat-perfecttemp-catalytic-heater-with-carry-case/_/R-108927

Amazon has them for $78.96 with no tax and free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-GolfCat-Perfectemp-Catalytic-Propane/dp/B0009PURBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311125804&sr=8-1

Ours does work great. And the suggestion to use a foam can cooler in the cart's cup holder to help secure the heater is valid - at least that's the case with our Yamaha cart. We also use a bungee cord strapped through the handle of the heater to keep it in there solid. That combination of things works perfectly! Sandy stays warm thus I'm happy.........and down the road we go!! :pepper2:

Bill :)

angiefox10
07-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks Bill... You know how I hate to be ignored! :D

OK... Put that on my list of things to buy!

JohnM
07-19-2011, 08:52 PM
How often does it get cold enough that you need a heater?

It does get "nippy" in the morning in the "winter" ... especially with the shorts and sandals :smiley: ... we have a GEM LSV and it came with a factory heater ... with the doors down and zipped, it works pretty good ... also, does a GOOD job of defogging the windshield ... YMVHO ...

Bill-n-Brillo
07-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks Bill... You know how I hate to be ignored! .........

I'm still laughing at that one!!!! And Sandy tells ME I have no patience!! :1rotfl:

But the nice thing about the cold in TV :cold: .................you don't have to shovel it. :pepper2:

Bill :)