PDA

View Full Version : 3G/4G WiFi Access Points

memason
03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Lately, I've been reading about the Verizon MiFi and Sprint Overdrive products. Both products provide WiFi connection for up to 5 devices concurrently. Currently, Sprint looks to have the better product, as it works on their 3G and new 4G network and they have an unlimited data plan for their 4G network and 5GB limit on the 3G network. The benefits of this sort of connection is tremendous, if the cell network connection is there. Especially, if you think about all the derivatives of connecting your laptop, your desktop, your iPhone or iPod Touch to your own WiFi Hotspot. For example, using your iPhone and Skype, you could call any telephone in the world at Skype rates and never use one minute of your cellphone minutes. I currently pay .02/min to call anywhere in Europe and the US, using Skype on my iPhone and my home WiFi connection.

In looking at the coverage maps, it appears that Sprint has good coverage in TV, but not sure if it's 3G or 4G. Anyone know?

Wondered if anyone is using either of these devices and how you like it...pros, cons, etc. Are you using the device as your "primary" internet connection?

yobeano
03-05-2010, 04:46 PM
We dont live in TV yet but I checked on the Sprint web site and it appears they have great 3G access in TV but the chart showed no 4G yet.

Dynasty
03-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Does anyone know what 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G etc means?

My thought was that it had to do with some sort of band width or capacity.

Truth is it is not much more than a marketing tool.

Although there are improvements with each of the newer networks, the G has nothing to do with band width.

The G stands for generation.

I have a 8G Toyota Camry! It's not really that much faster than the first generation, but, it sure rides better and can accelerate on it's own.

Now to answer the question. Verizon is by far the largest wireless carrier in the United States. Because a two year contract is usually signed, my vote is to go with Verizon. Exceptions to this would be if most of your family are with another carrier, then go with them. Spint (T-Mobile) and AT&T also have comparable signal strength with Verizon at this time.

memason
03-06-2010, 03:53 AM
Yep, you're right. The G is for generation and each generation carried with it a different reason for being... Without getting too technical, the 1 ~ 2G networks were primarily enhancements for voice communications, whereas with the advent of 2.5G up to 4G, the focus has been on improving data packet transmission...so, 1G was analog transmission and as we progress through the G's, we eventually get to 4G which is all IP based and can reach peak download speeds of 10Mbps. However, you are not likely to get those speeds; more common is download speeds of 3-6Mbps on 4G networks.

The 4G speed is very comparable with Cable and DSL speeds, even as you're traveling down the highway. In a stationary location (ie your home), download speeds should be faster.

This is exactly the reason I am investigating the MiFi (Verizon) and Overdrive (Sprint) offerings. For simple cell phone usage, Verizon would be my provider of choice, but I'm an iPhone user, so that doesn't work...No GSM network. What I am really looking for is an alternative to Cable and DSL Internet access that goes where I go.

Appreciate the responses, so far.

Just an FYI: Telecom Engineers are already beginning to talk about 5G networks, which are expected to be in the GIGABIT range for speed.

JohnN
03-07-2010, 10:02 AM
how much does this cost?

so this is basically a portable router type of thing? mobile?

I have two homes, plus cell phones, can I hook all of them to this one device/service?

very interesting

memason
03-07-2010, 12:01 PM
how much does this cost?

so this is basically a portable router type of thing? mobile?

I have two homes, plus cell phones, can I hook all of them to this one device/service?

very interesting

John.... The Sprint Overdrive product is $99.99 with 2 year contract. The data plan is 59.99/month for 5GB data on 3G network. If I remember correctly, this same plan also provides unlimited data, if you're luckily enough to be on the new 4G network.

If you have a wireless router in your home, this device is the same. However, it works on the cell network .vs cable or DSL internet. Device is battery powered and allows 5 devices to connect. In essence, it is your personal hotspot, like you get at Panera's or Starbucks. The beauty is it will work anywhere...your golf cart, car, house, out by the pool, golf course...wherever.

This does NOT replace your cell phone, however. In my previous post, I discussed what I called derivative uses. By that I'm referring to my use of a smartphone (iPhone), which has WiFi connectivity. I can run Skype on the iPhone, which means I can make VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) calls from any WiFi network, without using my cell phone minutes. This is especially useful if you need to make lots of International calls, which I do. Rather than paying International roaming rates, I pay .02/minute to call just about anywhere in the world.

On paper, it looks great. It's a little expensive, but if it can effectively replace my home Internet service, then is isn't too bad.

What I don't know, is how well it works, especially in TV. Reviews are mixed, as you might imagine. Some folks think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, others think it's not worth the cost....

If you do a Google search on the Sprint Overdrive, you'll get lots of hits and there's also a few videos on YouTube of the product in use.