PDA

View Full Version : Wine Tasting Club

32sips
03-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Is there anyone out there that would be interested in joining a wine tasting club. The thought is that we would meet once a month and try new wines, talk about and rate them. We could have some paired cheeses as well.

cpereira
03-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Is there anyone out there that would be interested in joining a wine tasting club. The thought is that we would meet once a month and try new wines, talk about and rate them. We could have some paired cheeses as well.
Sounds great, should be fun. Count me in. Where would this be held?

32sips
03-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for your reply. I know there is another club here in the villages and I'm trying to get information about that club, but what I know is that they get filled up really fast. There are a number of venues we could use. Maybe a rec center or Put A Cork In It, I'm sure they would love to have a club meet there. As the responses come in we can get a better direction.

Bonny
03-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I might be interested depending on where & when. I'm a wino !! LOL :)A place also that might be interested in doing something is Flats. They have a Wine Down on Wednesdays which is a wine tasting with a buffet. Could be a once in awhile addition.

32sips
03-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks Bonnie, we'll see what the response is and I'll keep you in the loop. Thanks for your suggestion, that's a great idea. We could even move around from place to place.

bxmt54
03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
I won't be down full time til next January but sounds like something I would definitely be interested in...love my wine! I will be down in May for a couple of weeks if you have it all together by then I'd love to join in. Salud!

A happy girl
03-10-2010, 02:18 PM
A wine club would be great.

32sips
03-18-2010, 06:57 AM
I'm surprised at the lack of response. Not sure how this sight works, it seems to be that after a couple of days these threads get lost and no one sees them again. I know there is interest because there is another wine club that holds 75 people and it fills up almost instantly, so there are a lot of leftovers that don't get to attend.

l2ridehd
03-18-2010, 07:26 AM
I think there would be a lot of interest. I hold them myself with friends and neighbors. However it appears you are a business that does this, not individuals who are interested in wine and doing it as a not for profit club. At least you have an ad here as a business. If that is not the case, then please explain. But I see a 32 sips ad running under every post. Kind of like the Geerling and Wade Traveling Vineyard or wine.com has one as well.

If you want to start a wine club where we are all doing it as a club, great. If your promoting your wine sales, then I am not.

baileysdad
03-18-2010, 02:16 PM
was hoping to find a group to join...sounds great

please let me know where and when

CSilvestrucci
03-18-2010, 02:33 PM
I would probably be interested depending on where and when. Keep me posted please.
Thanks

mfp509
03-18-2010, 02:58 PM
I would be interested, too - depends on day and time.

Tweety Bird
03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm surprised at the lack of response. Not sure how this sight works, it seems to be that after a couple of days these threads get lost and no one sees them again. I know there is interest because there is another wine club that holds 75 people and it fills up almost instantly, so there are a lot of leftovers that don't get to attend.

I just saw this post. I would be VERY interested in a wine club. We lived in California and loved the wines out there and I'd love to learn more and become a wine snob too. Sounds GREAT...count me in! :pepper2:

dacl1616
03-18-2010, 04:52 PM
My husband and I would love to join. We just started building so we won't be there till June but it would be a great way to start out!!

Pturner
03-18-2010, 06:02 PM

I'm with l2. I love wine. I might buy wine from you. I might attend an advertised wine tasting at your place of business. But, I don't want to join a club whose real purpose is to try to sell me something.

32sips
03-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the post regarding business vs. fun... Yes, you are correct, we have a business and you can find out what we do by clicking on the ad. BUT, this is not for business purposes, it's for fun and our business will NOT be promoted. To me wine is a fascinating luxury and I know other people feel the same, so why not get together and share finds and each others company.
I agree, life's too short to drink cheep wine... Love it...

Thanks again, Rick

Tweety Bird
03-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the post regarding business vs. fun... Yes, you are correct, we have a business and you can find out what we do by clicking on the ad. BUT, this is not for business purposes, it's for fun and our business will NOT be promoted. To me wine is a fascinating luxury and I know other people feel the same, so why not get together and share finds and each others company.
I agree, life's too short to drink cheep wine... Love it...

Thanks again, Rick

Nice post Rick. I'm sure it takes a lot of know-how to present a good wine tasting event. ie: vintage, the type of grapes,the region, winery, etc. I am a newbie here and have not necessarily made hard and fast friends "yet". This is a wonderful venue for people with similar wine interests to get together with someone that can do a good presentation. Since you have a business, I'm sure you have the know-how. We lived in Sonoma County and also had access to the wineries in Napa County. We had opportunities to go to the Sonoma County Harvest fairs which always had hundreds of wine booths featured with judgings. It was SO fun. That is definitely a part of California that I miss in my life, but now, TV is simply a different chapter. Why not incorporate the best of both worlds? I'm really ready to make some friends but have been too busy getting moved into our house. I'm READY to taste, laugh and have rosy cheeks. Taste on! :clap2:

kandj
09-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Ah, wine tasting club - now that is right up my alley! When we visited over the Christmas holidays we went to Flats for wine down Wednesday. Or maybe I should say "I" went and the other half met me after a while. They had the best Carmenere I have tasted in a long time!

We frequent a local wine store here in NH that has wine tastings every Thursday and Saturday. We used to go 2-3 times a month, but things have been so crazy lately that we haven't been there for several months. The owner used to joke and say that I belonged to the ABC (Anything But Chardonnay!) club. But seriously, I really enjoy red wines the most - Cab, Carmenere and Zin (and not that nasty pink stuff!). Once in a great while I would find a crisp white that I knew I would like chilled (Iced cold!) when it was hot out.

Kim
Now that I know we are definately moving to TV I am willing to write instead of just lurking!

wada3496
10-24-2011, 01:29 AM
Has this club formed yet?
I'm interested.

mulligan
10-24-2011, 06:52 AM
If you quote the "wine tasting" section of the book "Leisureville", I'm sure you'll get a bigger response.

BigMike
10-24-2011, 09:01 AM
:beer3::pepper2::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:If you quote the "wine tasting" section of the book "Leisureville", I'm sure you'll get a bigger response.

momesu
10-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Has this club formed yet?
I'm interested.

I'm here now and ready to taste and learn and meet new friends......so am also wondering if it has formed. I love wine but know next to nothing about it but would love to learn.

Suzanne

asianthree
10-25-2011, 08:11 AM
As a sommelier i would want to know if the club is just for fun or a real wine tasting club. If you are using a business then no because they are just selling you they wine. The best way to start a wine club is every one bring a bottle at a set price, bag, it and give everyone tasting notes. Then you can learn many new things about wine and try wines you would not buy.

BigMike
10-25-2011, 08:21 AM
As a sommelier i would want to know if the club is just for fun or a real wine tasting club. If you are using a business then no because they are just selling you they wine. The best way to start a wine club is every one bring a bottle at a set price, bag, it and give everyone tasting notes. Then you can learn many new things about wine and try wines you would not buy.

Asianthree are you currently working as a sommelier near the TV, if so where? Hard to find a good list down there, or are you retired? I am in the wine business in TN. and recently brought a house in TV. Would love to know there are some corkdorks in TV other than just me!! Thanks :wave:

OurHappyHome
04-05-2012, 08:05 PM
We are there on and off through out the year. We love wine and would like to join a wine club. I just finished my intermediate sommelier course. But the more I learn the more I know what I don't know. And it is really all about training the taste buds. SO we are ready for some training. If there is not an active club and someone wants to help me start one I we could work on that together.

Joaniesmom
04-08-2012, 12:46 PM
I don't think we are exactly on the same page, but here goes. We're moving full-time to TV this summer. We have been making our own wines for many years and are wondering if there are other home wine-makers at TV. Can't decide whether to transport all those jugs, bottles, equipment. Also don't know if the climate there is cool enough to ferment properly.

We have attended many, many wine-tastings and, as a rule, find them too "serious" for our tastes. We definitely don't advocate a drunken brawl, but do enjoy the type of tastings that enable pleasant conversation among the tasters. Nothing against you "serious" tasters, enjoy doing your own thing.

So, if any wine-makers out there, give us a buzz!

mrsyarbie
04-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Let us know when and where we are also interested. We will be there full time as of the 18 of this month.:pepper2:

Figmo Bohica
04-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Would be interested. You should start a list of all of us who are interested and when you are ready to go "club" let us know. I think you would have a good response.

Finallyfree
04-08-2012, 02:51 PM
We would be interested, especially since it sounds like there are several other newbies interested as well. Some of the older clubs are hard to get into because of numbers, waiting lists, etc. let us know when it will start and where.

Yankee Quilter
04-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Since we have no idea when the sale here will happen,but want to get there cannot commit. As soon as we are,a wine tasting group Is towards the top of the list of social groups we would love to join. We were part of 2great ones in CA years ago and 2 ridiculous ones in GA over the last several years. So, guess we know the good and bad! Will look for you when we get there, good luck with all of this.

MLBellis
04-08-2012, 05:36 PM
I would love to go...I like to drink wine, I hate buying a bottle & not liking it, this is a good way to try it out first. I need to expand on my wine drinking! Please let us know when & where! I can brink friends that i know who like wine too!

OurHappyHome
04-08-2012, 05:48 PM
We would also be interested in joining in. Please let us know when this gets started. We can even help with planning if needed.

wada3496
04-09-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm interested.
Is anyone going to start?

MLBellis
05-17-2012, 10:16 AM
If I was to start a wine tasting club, what would you like the meetings to consist of ???
- Different wines to try?
- People coming in to talk about wines?
- go on Winery trips
- would you like a membership fee (for cups, cheese, crackers...etc)

If so...what name would like the club to be called???
If I get enough people interested, I will start one with your help!

swrinfla
05-17-2012, 03:48 PM
If I was to start a wine tasting club, what would you like the meetings to consist of ???
- Different wines to try?
- People coming in to talk about wines?
- go on Winery trips
- would you like a membership fee (for cups, cheese, crackers...etc)

If so...what name would like the club to be called???
If I get enough people interested, I will start one with your help!

MLB:

Different wines to taste? Yes

People coming in to talk about wines? Yes

Go on winery trips? Yes

Membership fee? Depends. Some (many) clubs survive quite well on just selling 50/50 tickets each meeting. Others collect an annual dues of something minimal (like $5 or possibly $10). And, of course, modest fees for each meeting can work well!

Club name? "The Villages Winos" comes to mind! :pepper2:

My younger daughter and her husband attend wine-tasting events almost every weekend and consider themselves quite knowledgeable oenologists, so it would be fun to have them come join us.

Look forward to your club!

SWR
:beer3:

nancy.larger
07-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Catholic Charities of Central Florida is having a Wine Tasting Benefit on Wednesday, August 29th at City Fire in Sumter Landing. Tickets are $25.00ea or $40/per couple. Let me know if you or your group would be interested in attending and I can send you further details. There will be a silent auction and raffle as well.

mrsyarbie
07-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Lets us know, we love the idea.:coolsmiley:

nancy.larger
07-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Catholic Charities of Central Florida is having a Wine Tasting Benefit on Wednesday, August 29th at City Fire in Sumter Landing. Tickets are $25.00ea or $40/per couple. Let me know if you or your group would be interested in attending and I can send you further details. There will be a silent auction and raffle as well.

Yorio
07-25-2012, 11:03 AM
As you know the original posting was sometime back and someone in Pennecamp tried to start a club. I believe they met once in mid 2011. I could't make that one but unfortunately the second get together never materialized. When we were back in November, we tried to check what happened but never was successful. We went to one session run by a wine guru the club of which appeared in Rec Bulletin but that was it. Except for the guru, this was basically a beginners session though we enjoyed nevertheless. Having said this, we are interested in wine tasting club, not the one mentioned in "Leisureville". If someone can take the bull by the horn and start one, we'll join. Although I am no expert, I enjoy teaching beginners how to enjoy wine. Since there seem to be sommeliers and other knowledgable group also, we could have two different sessions. If no one starts, we could start one when we are back in November. PM me if you are interested.

cathyw
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
There is a club called "Wine Talk" It meets the 2nd Thurs of the month at Bacall Rec Center.
It is run by Giorgio Masini 352-430-0026. I am not a member so I can't give you any more info but you might want to call to see if you would be interested.

Yorio
07-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Cathyw. Thanks. That's the guru i mentioned in my previious post. It is for beginners but it is still Intersting. Apparently, originally they were doing things differently but the Rec Center does not allow whatever they were doing so beginning end last year they changed the format. If I recall, they had about 50-70 people. If we are to start our own, we should do it at our home initially with a small group and expand from there, novice and another one for advanced.