PDA

View Full Version : Keep getting knocked off....HELP!!

ceejay
03-13-2010, 07:24 AM
:024:Whenever I am surfing TOTV (and only TOTV), my computer will suddenly make that "bump" error noise, display a message box that says:

Runtime Error!
Program:C:\ProgramFiles/InternetExplorer/Iexplore.exe
something, something, end it in an unusual way
contact the administrators something something

and then it just knocks me right off! This happens about every 15-20 minutes or so. I just never know when it's coming!

I am getting so aggravated because I could be in the middle of a reply or PM and when it knocks me off, I lose everything!:Screen_of_Death:

Any answers out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
CJ

ajbrown
03-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Tough one.... if it was me, I would be suspicious of three things.

Virus
Mal-ware
Disk Issues

Do you have current virus software?

How about Mal-ware? I have been caught by some very annoying spy-ware that took quite some time to clean. I have had luck identifying and eliminating with Malwarebytes.

Is everything else running ok? If yes it is likely not a disk issue, but it never hurts to defrag, do a disk check for errors.

Not sure this will help alot, but it is how I would start the investigation.

ceejay
03-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks for your quick reply!

I have McAffee security and I am finding that it is doing alot of scans and everything seems to be ok.

I am not having any trouble with any other sites...only TOTV. Is it possible that TalkHost is spying on me and doesn't like me and thinks I shouldn't spend so much time on the computer when I should be cleaning or cooking or something, so he knocks me off? :boxing2: Just kidding!

Is Malwarebytes something I could download?

I will have my other half defragment...I am not at all computer savvy but I think he knows how to do it.

I will keep you posted...thanks again! CJ

ajbrown
03-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Defrag will probably not fix. I just group it together with: disk error check, cleanup temporary files, defrag. (normal maint)

IMO malware bytes is the best free spyware tool. It is downloadable at http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Just TOTV? Let me think on that one..... possibly you have not experienced it other paces by luck? who knows, i empathize with whereyou are at.

Lets see what else?
In IE tools, delete temp internet files, etc
Disable add-ons in IE then run... does the isseu go away?

memason
03-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Is this the error you are getting?

Runtime error!

Program C:\PrrgramFiles\InternetExplorer\iexplorer

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

If so, do you have the Google Toolbar installed? There have been instances of the Google Toolbar causing this error. The solution is to remove the Toolbar. If that corrects the issue, try reinstalling the toolbar. In most cases, you will not see the problem reoccur.

I had so many problems with IE, I finally installed Firefox. Since then, I've had almost no issues like the above.

Hope this helps....

graciegirl
03-13-2010, 08:43 AM
It is happening to me too. Recently I discovered that I didn't have to PAY AOL and went on their free service and then they snatched my virus protection away. I bought a new virus protection for our computers up North but haven't done so here in TV.

I am thinking that I need to go to BEST BUY and BUY me some protection.

Boomer. Don't start.:1rotfl:

memason
03-13-2010, 08:56 AM
I am thinking that I need to go to BEST BUY and BUY me some protection.

Graciegirl.... There's lots of Free virus software out on the net. You can do a google search and get lots of hits. Someone else might have a suggested software.

The best virus protection I ever got was my Mac :clap2:

Jazzper
03-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Also, make sure you have the latest software updates from Microsoft - particularly if you don't have Automatic Updates turned on. There have been numerous patches to IE.

And I'd highly recommend MalwareBytes as the best one out there, too. I've have to use it many time to fix friends' and relative's PC's who had somehow gotten that nasty 2008 and 2009 "Antivirus Pro" malware despite them having the latest Norton and McAffee stuff installed.

Hawkwind
03-13-2010, 09:35 AM
CJ
Like other have stated first download Malwarebytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and then update you operating system to all the latest updates. After that got to Microsoft's site and download Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection it is a free download.