PDA

View Full Version : Tiger is Playing in the Masters

Pturner
03-16-2010, 11:41 AM
He made the announcement

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gNHbEYvBl_u7BG0JYfQ08KcYZKDQD9EFR3H00

Well he do well? Will he be well received? What are your thoughts about it?

eweissenbach
03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
He made the announcement

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gNHbEYvBl_u7BG0JYfQ08KcYZKDQD9EFR3H00

Well he do well? Will he be well received? What are your thoughts about it?

Thanks for the link PT. I have no idea if he will do well, but I would not expect him to contend after that much time away from competition. However, it is TW we are talking about so anything is possible. I think he will be extremely well received by most, although there will prolly be a vocal minority who will protest (though not inside the ropes at the uptight Masters!). As for me, like many millions, I will be interested and will watch, as I do each year. I would expect it to be the highest rated televised golf tourney ever, and one of the highest rated daytime tv events of all time. I don't personally care about Tiger one way or another, but will watch with the same interest as I would watch Babe Ruth hit, Lincoln speak, or Elvis sing given the opportunity.

bkcunningham1
03-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I can hear everyone, from gas stations to restaurants in Augusta and surrounding areas like South Carolina counting their money, especially ticket scalpers. Ka-ching!

Hecklers will not be tolerated. That's one reason why he chose Augusta as a comeback point. Plus complete CONTROL by his handlers of the few media outlets invited to The Masters.

The Great Fumar
03-16-2010, 12:34 PM
he made the announcement

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/aleqm5gnhbeyvbl_u7bg0jyfq08kcyzkdqd9efr3h00

well he do well? Will he be well received? What are your thoughts about it?

who cares what he does !!!!!

Phil the thrill is the man......mr, exitement ....

GMONEY
03-16-2010, 01:26 PM
That is till his Superior Golfing Skills man returns... Then Lefty is down hill again..

ajbrown
03-16-2010, 01:29 PM
It may only be me, but I am interested in his attitude or personality. He mentioned in his horrific press conference that he realized he had been living like rules did not apply to him. It always struck me like he felt the same way about people, it was a chore for him to take a second and wave unless he needed you.

It always amazed me how he could walk by a group of kids after a round and not even acknowledge they existed. I have seen it live and on TV (television).

IMO Tiger Woods will compete, he is too gifted to not, but I hope he becomes someone I can root for as a person as well as someone chasing the greatest records of all time in golf.

I suspect his handlers will put a note in his yardage book on the 18th hole with some notes:

Remember just like we practiced, as you head to the scorer's tent, breath deep, look at the people like you really give a sh*t they come to see you and smile....

cashman
03-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Tiger may do well if his anger is directed to showing those (who are obviously without sin) who cast and are still casting stones at him. Showing them that he is still the best golfer who ever lived by a long shot.

He should also be angry enough to show them that his personal life is none of their business.

His wife has decided to give him another chance. That is good enough for me.

rshoffer
03-16-2010, 03:12 PM
I predict he'll have a 2 stroke lead coming into the 18th on Sunday... hit a booming cut up the 18th... get on in regulation... 2 put for the win... and collapse into Elin's arms in tears.

Then watch the sponsors and endorsers frenzy!

Russ_Boston
03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
I'll give you a few of my opinions:

First, to say that Tiger doesn't give back to kids is outright WRONG!!! Yes he may have to go fast through the crowd after a round but he almost has no choice in that. Like it or not he's Tiger not Phil. Just Google Tiger Woods charities and write me back if you think he's not kind-hearted.

Second, It will be far and away the most watched daytime tv event ever. Especially if you count the number of DVR's that will have it copied. ESPN struck gold when he announced. (They have the first two rounds).

Third, Phil may be loved by the fans but he is almost universally assailed by his fellow competitors and corporate sponsors. He is completely arrogant despite that down home grin. This is well known inside the ropes. Tiger on the other hand is not only appreciated by his peers for the money he has brought to the sport, but many, many genuinely like him.

Tiger does one thing real well - play golf! So as a recreational golfer, I'm glad I get to watch him do it again.

islandgal
03-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I'll give you a few of my opinions:

First, to say that Tiger doesn't give back to kids is outright WRONG!!! Yes he may have to go fast through the crowd after a round but he almost has no choice in that. Like it or not he's Tiger not Phil. Just Google Tiger Woods charities and write me back if you think he's not kind-hearted.

Second, It will be far and away the most watched daytime tv event ever. Especially if you count the number of DVR's that will have it copied. ESPN struck gold when he announced. (They have the first two rounds).

Third, Phil may be loved by the fans but he is almost universally assailed by his fellow competitors and corporate sponsors. He is completely arrogant despite that down home grin. This is well known inside the ropes. Tiger on the other hand is not only appreciated by his peers for the money his has brought to the sport, but many, many genuinely like him.

Tiger does one thing real well - play golf! So as a recreational golfer, I'm glad I get to watch him do it again.

Russ -
You hit the nail right on the head. Having been there when both of them played, I agree with you.
You are right about Phil although I love to watch him.
But Tiger is phenomial.
No one is perfect despite their accolades although I can imagine how some parents with young children must feel.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/players/bio8793.html

zcaveman
03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
I am just thankful that we now know when Tiger is going to come back so that the golf announcers will have one less thing to talk about during the weekly broadcasts. When they go into their speculation conversations I flip to another channel until they are done.

I can just imagine the BS that will go on at the Masters with him coming back.

Don't get me wrong - I like to watch Tiger but I am up to here - Z points to neck - with the BS.

Russ_Boston
03-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Don't get me wrong - I like to watch Tiger but I am up to here - Z points to neck - with the BS.

Completely agree! The golf channel spent two hours (I heard) talking about him back at the Masters. Two Hours!! I've been tuning it out.

Pturner
03-17-2010, 06:11 AM
My predictions:

He will not be at the top of the leader board. Yes, he's one of the greatest golfers ever. But, he's too long out of the game and faces too many distractions of his own making.
It won't be "far and away the most watched daytime TV event ever". It will be typically high for a Masters with Tiger playing. The plentiful announcer BS about Tiger will turn off many viewers.
His fist pumps will be sudued.
I don't know whether he will be able to control his emotions on the field or whether anyone could under the circumstances.
All that said, I wish Tiger well. He has been at the top of his profession, inspired youth across the globe, given generously to thousands and cheated on his wife. We wanted a hero and all we got was a human.

cashman
03-17-2010, 08:15 AM
My predictions:

He will not be at the top of the leader board. Yes, he's one of the greatest golfers ever. But, he's too long out of the game and faces too many distractions of his own making.
It won't be "far and away the most watched daytime TV event ever". It will be typically high for a Masters with Tiger playing. The plentiful announcer BS about Tiger will turn off many viewers.
I don't know whether he will be able to control his emotions on the field or whether anyone could under the circumstances.
All that said, I wish Tiger well. He has been at the top of his profession, inspired youth across the globe, given generously to thousands and cheated on his wife. We wanted a hero and all we got was a human.

Yes tiger is a hero and like all heros he is a human one.

I think we should concentrate on his game and stop spending time on his personal life which is non of our bisiness.

graciegirl
03-17-2010, 08:37 AM
My predictions:

Beautifully, thoughtfully, compassionately, intelligently, realistically said!