PDA

View Full Version : Sports Equipment

cybermuda
03-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Apologies up front if this should have been in a Sports section rather than General, but I couldn't find one.

What is the logic behind the different sports equipment policies at the various Regional Rec Centers?

If you want borrow a pickleball bat at SeaBreeze there are dozens of new ones in the equipment hut, yet at Lake Miona you have to go to the main building and hand over your IDs (to get a couple of beaten up old bats).

Likewise, some Rec centers have tennis rackets in the hut, whereas others require your IDs.

Would it not be easier for all Rec centres to put all of the sports equipment in the huts, saving the staff from the hassle of handing stuff out and taking it back in and saving us from having to remember which is which?

After all, the pickleball bats and tennis rackets are so old that you're hardly likely to run off with them.

Bogie Shooter
03-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Apologies up front if this should have been in a Sports section rather than General, but I couldn't find one.

What is the logic behind the different sports equipment policies at the various Regional Rec Centers?

If you want borrow a pickleball bat at SeaBreeze there are dozens of new ones in the equipment hut, yet at Lake Miona you have to go to the main building and hand over your IDs (to get a couple of beaten up old bats).

Likewise, some Rec centers have tennis rackets in the hut, whereas others require your IDs.

Would it not be easier for all Rec centres to put all of the sports equipment in the huts, saving the staff from the hassle of handing stuff out and taking it back in and saving us from having to remember which is which?

After all, the pickleball bats and tennis rackets are so old that you're hardly likely to run off with them.
Your concerns and questions should be addressed to the Recreation Department.There phone number is 352-753-2305 or email at RecreationDepartment@districtgov.org

cybermuda
03-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the contact details, Bogie Shooter, I'll send them an e-mail

champion6
03-19-2010, 06:58 PM
If you get a reply, would you be kind enough to let us know what you learn? Thanks!

cybermuda
03-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Will do

I have also asked them how often the tennis courts are cleaned, as they have been full of leaves and palm fronds recently, and how we can encourage tennis players to put the sharp metal top from their tube of new balls somewhere safe (preferably a recycling bin) rather than leaving it on the seat or on the ground.

cybermuda
03-23-2010, 07:59 AM
No reply to my e-mail yet, but I live in hope (or is it The Villages?)

I shall send another asking if we can have a searchable on-line schedule. It would be convenient to be able to search for, say, open-play pickleball at 2pm today, rather than have to go through the whole schedule and look at each of the rec centers listings separately.

What order are the rec centers listed in, anyway? I should have thought that alphabetic would be more convenient than random-walk, but maybe I am missing something.

Bogie Shooter
03-23-2010, 08:22 AM
No reply to my e-mail yet, but I live in hope (or is it The Villages?)

I shall send another asking if we can have a searchable on-line schedule. It would be convenient to be able to search for, say, open-play pickleball at 2pm today, rather than have to go through the whole schedule and look at each of the rec centers listings separately.

What order are the rec centers listed in, anyway? I should have thought that alphabetic would be more convenient than random-walk, but maybe I am missing something.

Why not call them?

zcaveman
03-23-2010, 09:32 AM

I do not believe that the Daily Sun knows what alphabetical, numeric or date order means.

If you go the thevillages.net and on the left hand side select the Daily Sun and then go down on the left hand side and select the Recreational News, you can open the PDF and put pickleball in the search window and keep searching for pickle ball to see the different play times at each center. It is better than scanning the magazine itself.

cybermuda
03-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Thank you for that information, zcaveman, I shall try it out.

I have had a couple of nice replies from the Rec Center people.

In summary:

1) while most equipment is stored in the sheds, if there have been problems with theft then certain equipment is lent only on IDs.

2) All courts are meant to be blown for leaves etc. each morning, and they will follow up on this.

3) They would like to hear if you find rubbish on the courts. Bins are provided, but not everyone can be bothered to use them.

4) A searchable recreation guide is in the works.

5) The listing is in geographic order.

And if you have any other questions then they are always happy to respond to them

champion6
03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info, cybermuda.