PDA

View Full Version : Princess Cruise Disappoinments

PennBF
12-24-2018, 02:41 PM
I thought I should pass on my opinion that if you are planning a cruise and it includes the "Princess Lines" you may want to avoid the Crown Princess and the other ships in this category. We have spent at least 60 days on the Crown within the last couple of years and it is clear that Princess is cutting back on what they are providing for this class of ship. In the last cruise (25 days) the food was below par, the entertainment, in particular in the piazza was nearly non existent as it was terribly below par and the cabins left things to be corrected. Not sure we would use Princess again but defniitely not a ship in the "Crown" class.:ohdear:

Spikearoni
12-24-2018, 02:47 PM
We agree. Having taken about 40 cruises, many of them Princess, we are, quite regrettably, no longer fans of theirs. It seems to us that they have entered the mass market and no longer care very much about pleasing repeat cruisers. It is really too bad as we enjoyed our earlier experiences with Princess. In our latest experience, the cabin we had chosen well in advance, was given away to someone else. When we boarded the ship and went to our room, our names were still on the door! Nonetheless, our key would not open the door and we were told that it was no longer our cabin. This was a back to back cruise, and we lost that room for both segments!

kathyspear
12-24-2018, 03:28 PM
In our latest experience, the cabin we had chosen well in advance, was given away to someone else. When we boarded the ship and went to our room, our names were still on the door! Nonetheless, our key would not open the door and we were told that it was no longer our cabin. This was a back to back cruise, and we lost that room for both segments!

Were you given any reason for the room change? Did you talk to the folks at Customer Service OR did you call your travel agent and ask him/her to investigate? I'm curious what kind of situation would warrant a room change at the last minute.

kathy

dbcolli
12-24-2018, 04:39 PM
Having been on over 40 cruises we decided to try the new MSC Seaside Yacht Club. We sailed on her twice now and are completely spoiled having the front of the ship, pools, dining room, and lounge exclusively for about 50 cabins including a butler. Pricey but well worth it. They call it a ship within a ship.

kathyspear
12-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Having been on over 40 cruises we decided to try the new MSC Seaside Yacht Club. We sailed on her twice now and are completely spoiled having the front of the ship, pools, dining room, and lounge exclusively for about 50 cabins including a butler. Pricey but well worth it. They call it a ship within a ship.

NCL has something similar on some of their ships. They call it The Haven. Haven't tried it yet. I'm afraid to because it might be difficult to go back to "slumming" in a regular cabin after that. :)

We have sailed on most of the mainstream lines but haven't tried MSC yet. So many ships to try ...

k.

Fast Freddy
12-24-2018, 09:44 PM
Try Oceania and/or Azamara for excellent cruise lines.

PennBF
12-25-2018, 09:03 AM
I am so glad to hear others have had problems with Princess. I did not include it in my note but the entertainment in the Piazza for all 25 days was an older guy on an According, another older guy on a guitar and a young girl on a violin. This was an insult to all who signed up for the 25 days. There was no shortage for Princess Employees trying to sell liquor, pictures, bingo special restaurants, etc etc. We always liked Princess but this was over the top in abusing passengers/clients. There is a cross over point called "Price Elasticity". It is when the price exceeds what is being given. This has blown that out of the sky. Sad..:ohdear:

PennBF
01-02-2019, 04:55 PM
We had been regular customers on Princess Cruises and have used them extensively. The last 2 have been terrible and we will never use them again. We are not new to the Line or crusing. As an example our last 3 cruises with them add up to 80+Sea Days.The last one was so bad and their attitude so bad that it woke us up to what a passenger could expect if there was a problem. Our reason for this is not based on a minor disappointment but rather a broad set of circumstances. :yuck:

Reprocity
01-02-2019, 05:03 PM
What are the details of your disappointment?

Kenswing
01-02-2019, 05:04 PM
We had been regular customers on Princess Cruises and have used them extensively. The last 2 have been terrible and we will never use them again. We are not new to the Line or crusing. As an example our last 3 cruises with them add up to 80+Sea Days.The last one was so bad and their attitude so bad that it woke us up to what a passenger could expect if there was a problem. Our reason for this is not based on a minor disappointment but rather a broad set of circumstances. :yuck:

Wasn't this already covered? https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/cruising-280588/

PennBF
01-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Kenswing: Since this is the first note I have sent in awhile I doubt it has been covered. :ho:

Kenswing
01-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Kenswing: Since this is the first note I have sent in awhile I doubt it has been covered. :ho:
Sorry. It must be a different PennBF

From the post you made on 12/24..

I thought I should pass on my opinion that if you are planning a cruise and it includes the "Princess Lines" you may want to avoid the Crown Princess and the other ships in this category. We have spent at least 60 days on the Crown within the last couple of years and it is clear that Princess is cutting back on what they are providing for this class of ship. In the last cruise (25 days) the food was below par, the entertainment, in particular in the piazza was nearly non existent as it was terribly below par and the cabins left things to be corrected. Not sure we would use Princess again but defniitely not a ship in the "Crown" class.

Brawnwy123
01-02-2019, 06:21 PM

RESPONSE : Yes, we gave up on Princess, we used to like the cruise line, no more, none.
For example, two years ago, they modified the strem area of the shop, just hacked away and then added a lot of cabins. So, that put a lot of space for new persons,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT the facilities did not change, buffet and showroom. etc. Really sad, nowadays, the extreme urge to make another dollar and then do something really stupid, maybe the young MBAs that have been doing too many video games, too much smoking pot, too much goofing off for now. No more Princess for us or our friends.
:bigbow:

Carla B
01-02-2019, 06:21 PM
What ships are in the Crown Class of Princess? We are not avid cruisers, and we haven't been on an ocean liner since 2010. However, as we get older and things happen healthwise, other forms of travel are currently denied to us. We just returned from a short cruise on the "Regal Princess," one of the newer ships. I had never been on a boat that size (3,560 passengers) and was prepared not to like it but did like it. We loved the entertainment, especially the Princess dancers and singers. We thought the food was good. As far as the cabin, everything worked and the cabin steward was very attentive. We didn't care about the destinations, having been there before.

Maybe Princess has changed for the worse. I do think they could be more subtle in their push to sell services to the passengers. I visited the Lotus Spa one time and was upset in the blatant attempt to sell overpriced lotions and potions and the employee's request that I tip her beyond the gratuity listed for the service. I think the drink package at $69 per day is ridiculous, at least for the senior crowd.

birdiebill
01-02-2019, 07:05 PM
We have cruised with Princess eleven times--on the Diamond, the Saphhire, the Ruby, the Coral, the Caribbean, the Royal and the Regal Princess. Our last six cruises have been on either the Royal or the Regal, which we like better than the others. While the "newness" of cruising has worn off, we still look forward to the leisurely time spent with new and old friends on board. Familiarity sometimes breeds boredom with the same activities and menus, but we still enjoy our Princess cruises. We will spend 21 days on the Regal Princess in 2019 and we hope we still enjoy Princess after each of them.

As far as Princess trying to nickel and dime passengers, we learned a long time ago, that we can ignore all the extra attempts to part us with our money. We don't need drink packages, souvenirs, photos, the sanctuary, the specialty restaurants, nor do we need most excursions.

Carla B
01-02-2019, 07:33 PM
I forgot to mention that the interior of the "Regal" is stunning. We thought the craftsmanship was elegant. It was built in Italy and the maiden voyage was in 2014.

sunny70
01-03-2019, 09:12 AM
We have cruised many times with Princess, most of them on the Royal or Regal. The only cruise we were not happy with was Panama Canal on the Caribbean Princess. It was one of the older ships, but they told us it had recently been refurbished. Maybe the public areas, but certainly not the cabins. We had tiles on the Bathroom floor sticking to our feet when getting out of the shower. Our Steward simply pressed them back into place, and they came out the next time we had wet feet! The mattress was horrible along with a "pillow top" mattress Pad. Not able to sleep on that at all. Finally our Steward came up with Bamboo rugs to put under the sheet and removed the Mattress pad completely. What a mess. We vowed never, ever to cruise on one of the "older" Ships. We have two cruises booked with Princess now, one on the Regal and one on the Brand New Sky Princess in 2020. We are very happy with the Royal and Regal and I'm sure we will love the Sky. The food and entertainment have always been great! Many times we cruise to the same places as we enjoy the on board lifestyle. We always cruise with friends which allows us to play cards on our days at Sea. It's a great way to take a Break from the busy lifestyle in The Villages!

PennBF
01-03-2019, 11:12 AM
It was the "Crown Princess" which was such a terrible disappointment. Was going to go into detail about the many issues/problems but recognize that some posters use responses to release their uncontrolled anger and we do not have time for that. It is sad but true. :ohdear: