PDA

View Full Version : lawn thatching

lcmca
03-22-2010, 01:39 AM
any recommendations for someone who can thatch a 2 year old zoysia lawn in duval t/u

Lou Card
03-22-2010, 03:41 AM
I lived in a zoiza neighborhood in Virginia and did not thatch for 12 years. I constantly had people say I had the best looking yard on the block. I did cut every 5 to 7 days though which keeps the clippings very short and therefore they break down quicker.

Lou

Rag Bagger
03-22-2010, 08:37 AM
any recommendations for someone who can thatch a 2 year old zoysia lawn in duval t/u

Think thatching would be required? Seems like in two years the lawn would just be getting well established. Did your lawn service recommed that the yard needed Thatching? Just curious for my self as our yard is just two years old and looks good.

lcmca
03-22-2010, 09:24 AM
i take care of my own lawn but full service guys agreed that thatching would be better than aeration but they do not do it, i would rent a thatcher but am having leg problems and would like to get it done

soonfl
03-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Any ideas where to rent from , it is not on home depots rent list.

Grill Meister
04-04-2010, 01:56 PM

St. Augusting routinely needs thatching; however, zoysia does not. The best treatment for zoysia is aeration. I use a lawn service from Criple Creek, which does an excellent job and will aerate....don't have their number, tho.

Russ_Boston
04-04-2010, 02:00 PM
From a gardening website:

In the first place, do you have a thatch problem? Thatch is a layer of undecomposed stems and clippings on which a turfgrass is growing. Thatch is bad because the grass is more susceptible to drought and cold damage. zoysiagrass lawns don’t usually have a thatch problem unless they were over-fertilized and were mowed infrequently in the past. Before you dethatch, go out and examine your lawn grass. Is the grass growing on the soil or on a layer of thatch? If the thatch is less than ½ inch thick, you should not dethatch. A more practical reason is that dethatching is done only when the grass is vigorously growing in June. The best management of zoysiagrass right now would be to lower the regular mowing blade ½ inch and remove the brown winter stems.

Cliff
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Have been in TV for 10+years. I have St Aug grass. I have already had to resod 3/4 of my lawn because of chinch bugs and thatch problems. This year it is happening again. I'm trying a different approach this year. I hit the internet and found a business selling liquid dethatch. I have purchased one bottle and am waiting for results. In the meantime, I found one of those web sites where the master gardener has his own recipe for dethatch. I am collecting the ingredients, have purchased a 20 gallon hose end spray bottle from Ace Hardware, and, in a very short time I intend to spray the entire lawn. In the interim my lawn service is advising me that the yellow and damaged spots are due to the cold winter. Maybe so, but if they are not able to correct my problems I intend to tell them to find some other customer willing to let them ruin a lawn. And, goodby to St. Augustine grass. I had a St Aug lawn in New Orleans that was to die for. Here in Florida it appears to just be a big banquet for Chinch Bug Kingdom.