PDA

View Full Version : Leisureville

chacam
03-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Was at All Booked Up yesterday and noticed they have several copies of Leisureville.

Bogie Shooter
03-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Four copies tied together, make a good door stop.

BlueHeronFan
03-25-2010, 04:22 PM
What an absolute piece of vendetta journalism this waste of paper in book form is.
We bought it, hoping it would be some information in it before we moved down. The writer obviously has it in for Gary Morse and has no understanding at all of what our community is all about. A person can punch so many holes in his writing it isn't funny.

Let me give you just one example.

Page 222-223
"Children represent the future, and a community without them is as doomed as the celibate Shakers. The Villages is probably not far behind-perhaps a few decades. The architecture may present a historical facade, but nothing there is built to last-not even age segregation, which may be abandoned one day out of desperation, in a last-ditch attempt to add vitality and population long after the Morse family has disbanded it's advertising and sales departments and left the scene with its fortune. The Villages' form of government guarantees that amenities fees will be collected, but it doesn't guarantee that there will be people to collect them from. I suspect it won't be such an attractive destination once the homes start to deteriorate and the vast majority of residents are shuffling by on walkers.

Says nothing about the Villages schools. June Kids Camp, or any of the area childrens sponsored activities. Why even just the other day I saw in the paper about "Adopt-A-Kid Adopt-A-Vet" with fourth grade students.

Also, the "writer" has a very nasty perception of what being a senior citizen is all about.
The man just stereotypes.

One of the things that sold us on the Villages was some of the unspoiled reserve areas, and the large old growth trees that surround the area. To read this guy, you would think there was nothing but the rape of the land.

nuff said.....

Donna2
03-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Yea, the guy was definitely bias against age restricted communities, for sure. But I did learn alot and there was some entertaining moments about the supposed night life.

It is what it is.

RVRoadie
03-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Despite the authors numerous opinions, there is some interesting information about the history of The Villages. Don't know where else you would find that.

graciegirl
03-31-2010, 12:30 PM
I liked it and I hated it but it was interesting.

When I begin to write or speak about The Villages to someone who has not been here, I sound a little silly and extreme and incoherent. It is too good to be true. There are no words for it.

As for the book Leisureville,I don't believe there is a Mr. Midnight or a sexual disease epidemic, but I think all of life's pleasures are alive and well here.

tpop1
03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
As for the book Leisureville,I don't believe there is a Mr. Midnight.........

We were discussing the book with friends who have been here for 10 years and they said they know Mr. Midnight and have socialized with him (well before midnight) .

He lives!!!!
_

graciegirl
03-31-2010, 03:05 PM
We were discussing the book with friends who have been here for 10 years and they said they know Mr. Midnight and have socialized with him (well before midnight) .

He lives!!!!
_

Was it good for them?

Halle
03-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Gracie, I think Mr. Midnight is a legend in his own mind!barf

Peazoup
04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I've read the book and must say that I was getting more and more upset with his take on our residents and our lifestyle. Yes, there were some very informative and interesting facts that many of us were probably unaware of. But how (may I ask) can a young man write a book sitting on a bar stool in Katie Belle's? It would have been nice if he added a few comments on all the good and charitable work being done by our community.

Indy-Guy
04-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Despite the authors numerous opinions, there is some interesting information about the history of The Villages. Don't know where else you would find that.

I have a copy of a book titled The Villages Then and Now. If you want to know the history of The Villages this is your book. It is written by Lee King, PHD. The author has forgotten more about The Villages than the author of Leisurville knows.

I purchased it at all booked up. If you are looking to read about the history of The Villages I think it is great! I have loaned it to many people and they all liked it. I would be surprised if All Booked up dosen't still carry the book. Don't waste your time going to Barnes and Noble I went there first and they didn't have a clue what I was asking for. Local author was the problem.

All booked up is in Colony Plaza and by Belks on 441/27 both are in The Villages.

kit9240
06-01-2010, 03:08 PM
:cus: While telling my friends, family and anyone in earshot that I am moving to a wonderful place called "The Villages" in September, I had to listen to a few comments like: oh yeah, that's the place with all the venereal disease :cus: When I try to defend and explain that this is a very distorted and untrue description, I'm told, of course it's true! People move there for the social life!! :cus: It makes me very sad that this article has been published several times in some of the large syndicated newpapers, magazines and TV/Radio segments, and The Villages has gotten a reputation that is far from the truth!!!:sad:

Pturner
06-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Recently I reconnected with a high school friend who had moved away long ago. When I mentioned The Villages, she said, "Oh, is that the place Leisureville is about? My book club just read Leisureville." Ugh. Some book club! I spent some time gently, and I'd like to think, convincingly, defending the age restricted premise and painting a prettier panarama of the place.

BTW, we went to Katie Bells with guests Saturday night to hear Rocky and the Rollers. There was a man there, way past his prime, who danced the night away, mostly all by himself, occasionally with a woman. For some reason, I wondered he were Mr. Midnight, aged, still alone and not ready to give it up.

laryb
06-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I read the book before I bought my home and found it entertaining but definitely mostly fiction. The author can try to lecture the reader about the benefits of living in a community without age restrictions, but will probably jump at the chance to live the lifestyle when he reaches our age. It's easy to sit back and pass judgment on something you can't have and then make it sound like you speak from a higher authority. As far as the STD's subject, that shouldn't bother anybody. While I don't advocate them, maybe we're lucky to be in a community that's still vibrant and active enough to still get them!:thumbup:

RichieLion
06-02-2010, 09:01 AM
:cus: While telling my friends, family and anyone in earshot that I am moving to a wonderful place called "The Villages" in September, I had to listen to a few comments like: oh yeah, that's the place with all the venereal disease :cus: When I try to defend and explain that this is a very distorted and untrue description, I'm told, of course it's true! People move there for the social life!! :cus: It makes me very sad that this article has been published several times in some of the large syndicated newpapers, magazines and TV/Radio segments, and The Villages has gotten a reputation that is far from the truth!!!:sad:

It all come down to the fact that you can't really explain this place to anyone else. You have to see and experience it for yourself. When your "Doubting Thomas" friends visit they'll find out for themselves the true nature of TV. With anything, it what you make of it, but it's hard not to be happy here unless you're an incurable "Gloomy Gus".

Taltarzac
06-02-2010, 09:53 AM
...about retirees and others who are activists in some form or another. Even though I am not exactly "retired"; Villages Daily Sun reporter Gary Corsair had done a feature on me a few years about my efforts in the local areas to get materials useful for victims of various types of crimes into local public libraries. Specifically at the time this was a link to the Victim Services Directory at the Lake, Sumter, and Marion County public libraries. http://myfloridalegal.com/directory

Lake County Library did have one for a few years but someone removed it. http://www.mylakelibrary.org/internet_directory/default.aspx?view=links&id=19

I had had 24 nominations to various Marquis Who's Who publications http://www.marquiswhoswho.com/products/WAprodinfo.asp from 1992 through 2002 and I assume that these many nominations were for my work in regard to improving the playing cards of survivors of violent crimes in the criminal justice system. I was not in the Villages then but I have continued this work on and off since moving from Palm Harbor Florida to the Villages in the Summer of 2005.

Palm Harbor Public Library as well as other libraries in the Tampa Bay area had also put in links to this Victim Services Directory at my insistance. Unfortunately, many of these links have since disappeared. Here is one that is still present at one of the Tampa Bay area public libraries. http://tarponspringslibrary.org/govlinks.html It seems to me this public library has had this link since 2000 or so.

Anyway, my point is that despite what the author of Leisureville asserts there are many people here in the Villages very much involved with advocacy of some type and/or volunteering. They are still very much involved with their community and the welfare of their kids and grandkids.

It is not all Sex and the City type behavior here in TV. That series is set in New York City, isn't it? I have had a devil of a time getting any headway in New York City with their victim service directory and links to it from their public libraries.

If anyone wants to help with my efforts please contact the public library system in your county and request them to get a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory. http://myfloridalegal.com/directory Public librarians often ignore a single voice requesting something but when many people make an inquiry they will do something.

Pturner
06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
It all come down to the fact that you can't really explain this place to anyone else. You have to see and experience it for yourself. When your "Doubting Thomas" friends visit they'll find out for themselves the true nature of TV. With anything, it what you make of it, but it's hard not to be happy here unless you're an incurable "Gloomy Gus".

You really can't explain it. I tell my family and friends about it, then they come visit and they are "shocked and awed".

...I tried to tell 'em.