PDA

View Full Version : Landscaper Recommendation

GERALDINE
04-07-2010, 04:48 PM
We just had some landscaping work down by Jeremy of Advance Curbing and Landscaping and were VERY, VERY pleased with him and his work. Of all the estimates we got, he was the ONLY one to 1.) Return our phone calls, 2.) SHOW UP and on time, 3.) Do EVERYTHING he said he was going to do...and more!!

His prices were very reasonable and he does most of the labor himself. Did have a few "helpers" a couple of times but he's not riding around in his truck and talking on his cell phone when someone else is doing the work in your yard.

His design ideas were good and he met us at his wholesalers nursery yard so we could see exactly what we were getting.

Never asked for any money up front and completed the job in a very timely fashion. He came back when we called to make some changes that we wanted AND he came back a week later to make sure everything was looking healthy. Gave me a pruning lesson at that time!!

We just can't say enough about this guy. He does good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:MOJE_whot:

His phone number is: 352 427-5727 Once you are working with him, he will give you his private cell phone # and he answers it himself when you call. Whoo-Hoo!!! :clap2:

GERALDINE
04-07-2010, 04:50 PM
P.S. This is our 2nd home in TV and the landscaper we had for the first house ended up in jail for scamming Villagers!!! Be sure you get a recommendation before hiring anyone to do anything!!!

florlrl
04-16-2010, 12:38 PM
We just had some landscaping work down by Jeremy of Advance Curbing and Landscaping and were VERY, VERY pleased with him and his work. Of all the estimates we got, he was the ONLY one to 1.) Return our phone calls, 2.) SHOW UP and on time, 3.) Do EVERYTHING he said he was going to do...and more!!

His prices were very reasonable and he does most of the labor himself. Did have a few "helpers" a couple of times but he's not riding around in his truck and talking on his cell phone when someone else is doing the work in your yard.

His design ideas were good and he met us at his wholesalers nursery yard so we could see exactly what we were getting.

Never asked for any money up front and completed the job in a very timely fashion. He came back when we called to make some changes that we wanted AND he came back a week later to make sure everything was looking healthy. Gave me a pruning lesson at that time!!

We just can't say enough about this guy. He does good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:MOJE_whot:

His phone number is: 352 427-5727 Once you are working with him, he will give you his private cell phone # and he answers it himself when you call. Whoo-Hoo!!! :clap2:

==
Thanks for this info. I unfortunately got the guy who never shows up on the job and is always on his cell phone and promises to come back and never does...don't pick Ken's Curbing and Landscaping. I'll give someone who wants the work a try. So frustrating and no wonder all the jobs are going to illegal immigrants who at least are willing to do the work.

TABOR8
05-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Wish I had seen your message BEFORE using "BIG R" to do the landscaping.
Just being new to the Villages, I did the wrong thing and hired them when they "solicited" several times just after I moved in. I wish I could say the nice things you said, but honestly, my experience with "BIG R" is the exact opposite. I have sent the info. to Seniors v. Crime so hopefully, it will save others from the same bad experience.

Val:throwtomatoes:

k2at
05-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Don't use sunscape landscaping either. Once you pay him his money, he will not answer phone calls nor emails. The job better be perfect before you hand him over any money.

GERALDINE
05-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Wish I had seen your message BEFORE using "BIG R" to do the landscaping.
Just being new to the Villages, I did the wrong thing and hired them when they "solicited" several times just after I moved in. I wish I could say the nice things you said, but honestly, my experience with "BIG R" is the exact opposite. I have sent the info. to Seniors v. Crime so hopefully, it will save others from the same bad experience.

Val:throwtomatoes:

Who is "Big R"? Is that the name of the company or the guy? You should post the full names so that everyone knows who to stay away from !! I'm so sorry you had that bad experience. I know many people get "scammed" by contractors when they first move down here. It's sad. :ohdear:

Gumby
05-14-2010, 09:42 AM
After living here many years and have gone through and thought I could trust many landscapers, I have found a very, very honest and polite landscaper named Patrick Squire of Squire's Landscape. He's capable of much more then just mowing. He's a full service landscaper and actually knows his trees/plants!
He's licensed and insured. A question I have learned to ask and see. My grass has always looked weak. Since he's been mowing and grooming, my property looks fab!
Highly recommended!
His number: 352-874-4989

Kaybee1
03-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Jeromy of Advance Curb is not reliable, dependable nor does he show up when he promises. Last spring, after reading your post, we got estimates from a couple of landscapers. Jeromy was hired to plant 14 virburnum shrubs and the sprinklers for them. His estimate was the middle bid. From the beginning there were problems. The shrubs were supposed to be 6ft--they were 3 ft. They also had a brown fungus and Jeromy said they would be ok. We called him several times because there was no growth at all, in fact the shrubs looked like they were dying. After Sept, Jeromy not longer responded to our emails or calls. We must have contacted him close to 10 times without him showing up. We treated the shrubs with extra fertilizer and they are finally starting to grow but the one shrub is still in bad shape. Today was the last straw, he promised to be here at 3 different times and never showed up. Needless to say, we think that another sprinkler head would have fixed the problem but we would never recommend Jeromy.

memason
03-15-2011, 07:11 AM
We are currently quoting landscaping from:

LaRocks Landscaping
J&G Landscaping
TerraScapes
Jamies Landscaping

We're looking at a rather large job, with walls a lots of plants. We have driven around and viewed some of their work, but I tend to use the recommendations I get on TOTV. I've seen discussions on all of these landscapers. Only one of these asked for money up front...

Any strong recommendations/warnings for the above landscapers?

Thanks.....

ajbrown
03-15-2011, 07:21 AM

Thanks.....

This is a comment I made a year ago..... Based on the price, the quality of work and his commitment to get the job right, I can overlook the fact that he was overwhelmed months after the job was done. We will be getting some work done soon and Jamie will be on our short list.

In Dec 2008, Jamie did our landscaping. His price was significantly better than two other reputable landscapers and we really liked him personally.

He did not take any money until we were completely satisfied. He and his crew did a great job and we loved his design and how the job came out.

So all good, but now the down side.

We could never get him to come back 3 months later, he was so busy after the winter he never came back to look at some plants that we were not sure if they made it. Never returned a call. I even found him working a home off of Odell and we talked about his lack of response. He apologized, said he was really busy and would call in two weeks, never happened, never returned a call.

In summary I WOULD use Jamie again as his price was much better and his quality of work is very good and he is a great guy. I would go into that arrangement knowing I may never see him again after I was happy with the original work.

Carla B
03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
We're waiting for a quote from Jamie He came by almost two weeks ago and had great ideas. Same thing happened to a friend of ours. I think he's overwhelmed with work and probably can pick and choose.

Barefoot
03-15-2011, 08:35 AM

LaRocks Landscaping
J&G Landscaping
TerraScapes
Jamies Landscaping

We're looking at a rather large job, with walls a lots of plants. We have driven around and viewed some of their work, but I tend to use the recommendations I get on TOTV. I've seen discussions on all of these landscapers. Only one of these asked for money up front...

Thanks.....

We got four quotes and used Terrascape on CR 301 for our landscaping, which included palms, rock, curbing, hedge, etc. I liked the fact that they have a huge nursery and obvioiusly will be in business for a while. And you can pick your own trees and bushes.

MEMason, please PM me if you have any questions.

784caroline
03-15-2011, 08:44 AM
I understand that Jamie has more than 22 jobs waiting to be installed. They are working 7 days a week and still cannot catch up. Im sure other reputable landscpers are in the same situation. f someone can do a job within a week, I would be leary unless they are VERY large and have a number of crews working.

I know about Jamie for we are one of the jobs on the wait list. HOpe to get it started within a week or so after a 2-3 week wait. Just have patience and hope for the best.......given the fact that he is so busy with new jobs, one would have to expect followups would be during a slower season.

familyguy54
11-14-2011, 10:06 AM
we are currently quoting landscaping from:

larocks landscaping
j&g landscaping
terrascapes
jamies landscaping

we're looking at a rather large job, with walls a lots of plants. We have driven around and viewed some of their work, but i tend to use the recommendations i get on totv. I've seen discussions on all of these landscapers. Only one of these asked for money up front...

Thanks.....

do not use larocks, scott is sub contractor, does not have license or insurance and the villages does not enforce this with contractors . He has alcohol problems, and when you confront him with questions after his work is done , he is beligerant and nasty. Sends his partner out and she is worse. I did research and learned this business has had different names in past, he bartars and then gives you the screws in the end. If you bartar with him he takes 3 months to complete a job. He comes with no pictures or ideas . He is the most defensive person i ever met for a business man. Tells us he has bartered his equiptment for landscaping etc..we did not need to know his personal business, but then we learned our lesson. Just beware, get a business that you can track for the last 10 years that are reliable, not one that has changed hands so many times then lies about insurance and liability. You get what you pay for and he is not your man. We had to pay dearly to get his work fixed.

familyguy54
11-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Also larocks sub contracts other curbing and work to people he knows and i was told he is very slow at paying them up. Beware these people dont get paid by larocks that other contractor will try to put a lien on your property. So when choosing landscapers make sure they are not sub contractors, verify insurance and license. They will know you are serious. We learned the hard way. Hats off to those that got good work.

familyguy54
11-15-2011, 02:01 PM
i got bad deal with LaRocks, took 3 months to complete job, i had to pay someone else to clean their mess up. Scott sweet talks you, trys to bartar , the company has changed name 3 times in last 10 years. he does not have license or insurance as he states. he knows no one will ask to see it. he is subcontractor and he contracts other contractors to do a lot of his work and then he does not pay them which could end up with lien on your property. so beware this family is slick cheaters and rip offs .