PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation flow rate question

RVRoadie
04-24-2010, 08:13 AM
I am think of converting one of my irrigation stations to a drip system. Does anybody know what the flow rate (gallons per hour) is for a typical station for a designer house.

Grill Meister
04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
I installed a drip system in Atlanta and you will vary the amount of gallons per hour dependent upon the type of plant you are watering. Of course, larger plants such as shrubs and trees will require more water than smaller plants. All that being said (written) everything will depend upon the amount of water pressure from your source.

You can purchase kits that have as many 4 different drip head rates....you can also buy heads than can be adjusted to whatever drip rate you select. You can also install "sprays" and "soakers".

You are definitely going the right route, because you are putting the water where it will do the best good without losing it into the air as will typical lawn irrigation systems.:bowdown:

RVRoadie
04-28-2010, 07:55 AM
I was able cap all but one sprinkler head and do a flow test on one station. It was about 900 GPH (gallons per hour). I only need about 300 GPH for the various drip heads I have planned.

I ordered most of my supplies from Mr Drip (http://www.mrdrip.com/). The local selection at Home Depot and Lowes is not that great and it is difficult to get everything I wanted. I was able to get exactly what I wanted online. Will arrive later this week and I will get started with installation.