PDA

View Full Version : Karaoke night at Havana County Club.

Taltarzac
05-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Do many of you go to karaoke night (Monday) at Havana Country Club?

DJ Pat I hear is the guy in charge. Just wondering if like American Idol the really bad entertainers get banned after a certain number of really bad performances. Or, do other factors come into play when someone is denied the Mike so to speak.

KathieI
05-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi Tal, yes a bunch of us go to Havana on Monday to listen to karaoke with Patrick. I have never heard Patrick ban anyone for singing badly, he usually gives everyone a chance and since he has a very large following of karaoke singers, it may take him a long time before he can complete a rotation of singers. Sometimes singers only get to sing once or twice in a night.

As I have said in the past, the talent in TV is so tremendous, we usually don't hear anyone who can't sing well. Do you sing? Wanna join us?? We're there usually at 7pm until closing.

Taltarzac
05-01-2010, 06:03 PM
How about you? Do you take part in the karaoke? How about DJ Pat? Does he sing as well??

nONIE
05-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Tal, I will take the liberty of answering since Im sure Kathie is out dancing somewhere at this very moment!

Im sure Kathie will expound on my answer or correct me as soon as she gets a chance.
Kathie does not sing at Kareoke, but she sure dances up a storm and always cheers on all the wonderful singers. Its amazing how much talent we have here in TV!

Yes Pat does sing, and very well at that! Hes a fabulous entertainer and I always enjoy hearing him and his band.

OK Kath, take it away!

Pturner
05-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I have never heard Patrick ban anyone for singing badly.

Oh, I could still be the first! Don't worry, dear Kathie. I wouldn't dare.

KathieI
05-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks Nonie, you did a good job with your post.

Tal, I'm a dancer, not a singer. Years ago, my mother who had an operatic voice, heard me sing and advised me to become the best dancer I can, as my voice is terrible!!! :eek: Gee, maybe that's why Patrick's never asked me to sing?? LOLOLOL!!

Do I partake? Yes, I'm a major player in karaoke, as Nonie says, I am the loudest cheerer in the room. I love all my friends who have the courage and talent to get up to the mike.

Can Patrick sing or does he???? ABSOLUTELY, he has the greatest voice I have ever heard and is so versatile, he can sing blues, rock n roll, ballads, and country. Matter of fact, he sings Alan Jackson songs better than Jackson.

Hope you can join us tomorrow night. You know I'll be there... :pepper2:

susieq31
07-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Has anyone heard of a movement by some Hemingway residents to get rid of Monday night karaoke at Havana? Supposedly some surrounding residents think that the noise level is too high so that they can't enjoy their lanai. Does anyone know the story behind this?

SunnyDaze
08-03-2010, 06:18 AM
My neighbor, who is a regular bar patron of Havana, said the owner and his daughter/manager were told by TV they were in violation of their lease for having outdoor music, and yes, the Karaoke was so bad it caused residents to get together and go to TV and ask for it to be stopped. When TV got a look at the lease, well Havana's in violation of it. I think it's silly. Karaoke isn't supposed to be Grammy winning, it's just supposed to be fun.

Taltarzac
08-03-2010, 07:38 AM
I wonder if they would have not been found in violation of the lease if the singing had all been high quality??

sunday
08-03-2010, 08:03 AM
With so many complaints(see breakfast thread, and others)... You would think TV would use any infraction of the lease to evict the current operators and reform... jmho

Peace and love

Skip
08-03-2010, 04:17 PM
With so many complaints(see breakfast thread, and others)... You would think TV would use any infraction of the lease to evict the current operators and reform... jmho

Peace and love

And who would buy that losing restaurant?

Skip

Pturner
08-03-2010, 04:26 PM
And who would buy that losing restaurant?

Skip

Seems like it could be highly successful though, with great food and service. Look how many people in the various Havana threads have said they keep giving the place a second, third, forth, etc. chance because it's so close to home and has such pleasing decor.

It's actually the only place I've ever heard of where people didn't like it repeatedly, but keep going back, hoping against hope for change. Sounds like potential to me!

:icon_hungry:

Bogie Shooter
08-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Received The Villages Homeowners Association Voice with my Daily Sun today.
On Page 5 under Region 6 & 7 report there are comments about high noise levels at Havana. Indication is that there were several meetings of the Havana management, VHA reps and homeowners on Aberdeen Run, and all worked to an agreement that the owner and general managers have implemented changes to reduce the volume to a comfortable level. VHA reps were pleased that everyone worked on the issue in the spirit of cooperation.
The August issue is not on the Homeowners web site.

golf2140
08-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Received The Villages Homeowners Association Voice with my Daily Sun today.
On Page 5 under Region 6 & 7 report there are comments about high noise levels at Havana. Indication is that there were several meetings of the Havana management, VHA reps and homeowners on Aberdeen Run, and all worked to an agreement that the owner and general managers have implemented changes to reduce the volume to a comfortable level. VHA reps were pleased that everyone worked on the issue in the spirit of cooperation.
The August issue is not on the Homeowners web site.

I don't think they worked together. They were told music inside or the patio will be off limits completely. When I was looking I decided not to purchase in that area because the restaurant was there. It was there before the homes were built.

Pturner
08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't think they worked together. They were told music inside or the patio will be off limits completely.

Hi Golf2140,
I'm curious whether you heard this, you presume it to be the case or you know first hand. Did you attend the meeting?

skip0358
08-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I have and will continue to support Havana. The food is the food, maybe not 5 star but so what neither is the price, the Happy Hour is great and so are the prices, and I can walk home if need be. As far as people beating them up on the food there are plenty of people going there when I'm there 2-3 nights a week. As for the music it was done by 9PM no later then the square. I sure hope when the new Fire House opens on Morse and 466A they don't make to much noise or the same people will try and close them down also. Hope your happy, you finally won. BOO HOO

spk7951
08-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Hi Golf2140,
I'm curious whether you heard this, you presume it to be the case or you know first hand. Did you attend the meeting?

When we went to Havana last week for dinner we were surprised to see the evenings entertainment inside. I asked the manager and he said that would be the norm now as they had been "told" to stop the patio entertainment.
But even though we heard that from a manager I really have no idea what to believe. Monday my wife saw on Facebook that Havana was trying something different and would have outside entertainment that night.

SunnyDaze
08-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Hubby and I have only been here a short time, so we don't know exactly how things work. Some clubs are owned by TV, and some are not, is that correct?

Question...if Havana isn't owned by TV, but has been violating their lease with TV...what's the recourse for the residents and TV if they continue to advertise for and offer outdoor entertainment? Just curious.

Second question, is Havana's not being owned by TV the problem? Would the food and service at Havana be better if it was? Is there collective buying power in being Villages owned? Are standards higher at a county club owned by The Villages? Or does Havana's reported missteps reflect something lacking, outside of the servers and food? Again, just curious.

Havana seems consistently low man on the totem pole. Is it deserved, and why?

golf2140
08-04-2010, 08:42 AM
PT,

I spoke with the manager and other employee's. I enjoy the place and go there on a regular basis.

Talk Host
08-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I sure hope when the new Fire House opens on Morse and 466A they don't make to much noise or the same people will try and close them down also. Hope your happy, you finally won. BOO HOO

Wouldn't you agree that loud noise can be a real issue for homeowners? If the outside entertainment came "after" the homes were built, it would be an unwelcome nuisance for those who thought they bought in a quiet neighborhood. It would be like the neighbors down the street having a loud wedding reception or party in their back yard on a regular basis. I find no fault with homeowners whose right to peace and quiet is disrupted on a regular basis for the entertainment of a few.

A fire station is an unfair comparison to this issue. Fire trucks go out on an occasion basis and the noise lasts only seconds. Karaoke lasts hours and happens regularly. At night, most fire trucks don't use their sirens if there is no traffic, usually.

Pturner
08-04-2010, 10:58 AM
owner and general managers have implemented changes to reduce the volume to a comfortable level.

They were told music inside or the patio will be off limits completely.

When we went to Havana last week ... the evenings entertainment inside. manager ...said that would be the norm now as they had been "told" to stop the patio entertainment.
...Monday my wife saw on Facebook that Havana was trying something different and would have outside entertainment that night.

People seem to be getting different stories on the status. I wonder what the actual agreement or order was? Was anything in writing?
:confused:

NJblue
08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
We were at Havana last night since it is close to home. The music was indoors and very loud and very bad. This made it very hard for our group to do what we came there for - to eat, drink, talk and have a good time. Because of this, the next time we decide where to go after golf, we will drive a bit farther to a place that doesn't have music. I don't understand the notion that music adds to the quality of a place. There is a time and place for loud music, but it is not conducive to a dining experience.

pili
08-23-2010, 02:39 PM
The karoake was not that bad and the music wasn't that loud. However, the manager had to move the music inside to satisfy a few residents. Not too many complained but regardless, the music has been moved inside.

Lou Card
08-23-2010, 02:52 PM
What time does it start on Monday nights.

sschuler1
08-23-2010, 02:57 PM
NJBlue- I agree with you, that's why the music should be outside. It is more conducive for sitting around and having drinks and some dancing. If the music is inside, they need to start it later and let it run later so people can dance and have a good time. But they would need to move some tables to accomodate a dance floor. But music from 8 - 11 pm would let the diners eat in peace and the partyers have their fun afterward if they have to share the same space.

KathieI
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
"NJ Blue" We were at Havana last night since it is close to home. The music was indoors and very loud and very bad. This made it very hard for our group to do what we came there for - to eat, drink, talk and have a good time. Because of this, the next time we decide where to go after golf, we will drive a bit farther to a place that doesn't have music. I don't understand the notion that music adds to the quality of a place. There is a time and place for loud music, but it is not conducive to a dining experience."

Mr. Blue, we knew you were there, did you come over to rub out noses in it?? You knew there was music there, why would you come over to have a conversation except to b**ch???? As far as the music being bad, that's very subjective, maybe someday you will become a little more objective!!! BTW, when you have your neighborhood block party, I hope you don't make too much noise, I'll have to call the cops, LOL.

Lou it starts at 6pm till 9pm. Its storming now here, but I hope to see you there later. I'll be there with DickY, Blondie, and some others. We have a good time, thankfully...

KathieI
08-23-2010, 03:03 PM
NJBlue- I agree with you, that's why the music should be outside. It is more conducive for sitting around and having drinks and some dancing. If the music is inside, they need to start it later and let it run later so people can dance and have a good time. But they would need to move some tables to accomodate a dance floor. But music from 8 - 11 pm would let the diners eat in peace and the partyers have their fun afterward if they have to share the same space.

Great post, SS... good job!!

Whalen
08-23-2010, 03:15 PM
"NJ Blue" We were at Havana last night since it is close to home. The music was indoors and very loud and very bad. This made it very hard for our group to do what we came there for - to eat, drink, talk and have a good time. Because of this, the next time we decide where to go after golf, we will drive a bit farther to a place that doesn't have music. I don't understand the notion that music adds to the quality of a place. There is a time and place for loud music, but it is not conducive to a dining experience."

Mr. Blue, we knew you were there, did you come over to rub out noses in it?? You knew there was music there, why would you come over to have a conversation except to b**ch???? As far as the music being bad, that's very subjective, maybe someday you will become a little more objective!!! BTW, when you have your neighborhood block party, I hope you don't make too much noise, I'll have to call the cops, LOL.

Lou it starts at 6pm till 9pm. Its storming now here, but I hope to see you there later. I'll be there with DickY, Blondie, and some others. We have a good time, thankfully...

You go girl!:BigApplause:

3PUTT
08-23-2010, 03:36 PM
The past outdoor music at Havana was BAD. It is still bad inside. They need to get rid of the noise and provide nice dinner music. I think the Havana neighbors were correct in objecting to the excessive noise. Unless the service level improves, I won't go to Havana It has been poor since they opened.

Whalen
08-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Wouldn't you agree that loud noise can be a real issue for homeowners? If the outside entertainment came "after" the homes were built, it would be an unwelcome nuisance for those who thought they bought in a quiet neighborhood. It would be like the neighbors down the street having a loud wedding reception or party in their back yard on a regular basis. I find no fault with homeowners whose right to peace and quiet is disrupted on a regular basis for the entertainment of a few.

This subject was discussed and debated at length last year.

Read on...:read:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25528&page=25

skip0358
08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
I agree 100% with SS. The loud music inside is a distraction to those who want to eat, drink and carry on a conversation. Maybe a suggestion to management by more then 1 person is in order. The food issue has been discussed at length also. It has improved on certain nights to a great degree, The staff is changing yet once again. It's not now nor will it ever be 5*. If that's what your looking for don't bother coming. For those of us that go there because it's close to home, inexpensive, and fairly decent food and light entertainment we'll keep going and supporting them. I for one don't want to see them close or be shut down. Just my opinion!