PDA

View Full Version : Sealing painted driveway?

billethkid
05-01-2010, 02:56 PM
We elected to have our driveway very conservatively painted with some edge trimming soon after our home was built. I have paid $400++ each year to have it sealed with a clear sealer.

Is there anybody with a painted driveway/sidewalk? If yes, have you ever done your own clear sealing?

If yes, what did you use and where did you get it?

I have just recently painted our entire pool deck with water based acrylic from Color wheel paint company. It took me 4 days and a lot of patience but an totally satisfied with the results. I figure I can do the driveway too and am looking for helpful hints/tips.

Thanx in advance for responses to come.

btk

spk7951
05-01-2010, 05:07 PM
That is interesting. The guy that painted our driveway told us we should re-seal it in about 5 years and he if does it the cost would be $250. It has been 20 months since we had it painted and it still looks great. The $400 sounds a bit steep to me.

Rag Bagger
05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Does anybody know the type of paint that is generally used in TV for driveway painting? It almost seems more like a latex or stain as opposed to a high solids paint. Would like to do my own drive.

mrdills
05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Check out Home Depot, I used there sealer a couple years ago and it still looks good.

zcaveman
05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I was also told that resealing was a five year event. Unfortunately, the better half is tired of the pattern anyway and wants to start shopping for a new design / coating.

F16 1UB
05-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Our neighbors are having their driveway painted & sealed this week. I just asked the young lady about the name of the sealer. It's from Sherwin Williams and it's called clear 23. She said the first thing you want to do is power wash the driveway thoroughly, let it dry for a day, the next day roll it on. DUN!

sallistang
07-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Does anyone know if that sealer sold by s/w can be used to seal a garage floor thats not painted.I have the floor clean and would just like to seal it over

Rag Bagger
07-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Does anyone know if that sealer sold by s/w can be used to seal a garage floor thats not painted.I have the floor clean and would just like to seal it over

They will know their product. But if you use a clear coat coat on your garage floor it may be very slippery. Our garage floors usually have a very fine finish, not rough like the drive or sidewallk and they will be hazardous unless you use a non skid addative particularly in the garage.

ajbrown
07-24-2010, 07:31 AM
As I read this, I am curious, when folks are talking about painted driveways, do you mean paint or are the driveways stained?

sallistang
07-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Thank you for your reply, I can add some light grade sand material that is used in sand paint.