PDA

View Full Version : Sabal Palms

ijusluvit
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Sabal Palms are the Florida state tree. Like queen palms, they are stately and tall, but unlike the queens many of us lost in the winter, sabals seem to have suffered no damage.

My questions are: If you have one or more sabals, what has your experience been with them? Where do you find them? Are 6'-9' plants available which I can plant myself, and if so, what might they cost?

elevatorman
05-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Look on the golf courses and the rec centers, all TV plants is Sabals. That has to tell you something. They actually grow in the wild in FL. Nurseries clear them from land and sell them. When they transport them they cut the tops back to nothing. We had 2 put in, one 10 ft and one 12ft. They are very heavy. I would not attempt to plant them without a piece of equipment. A few landscapers I spoke with did not recommend them, I found out later they just had no equipment to move them. Another downside is they are delivered without much if any foliage. It takes about 6 to 8 months to see any. Call any landscaper in the area and they can give you a price. Check out http://www.floridata.com/lists/palms.cfm The palms good for this area are: Cabbage palm (Sabal), Washington palm, Queen palm, Jelly palm (Pindo), European Fan Palm, Chinese Fan and Ribbon Fan Palm.

ijusluvit
05-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Look on the golf courses and the rec centers, all TV plants is Sabals. That has to tell you something. They actually grow in the wild in FL. Nurseries clear them from land and sell them. When they transport them they cut the tops back to nothing. We had 2 put in, one 10 ft and one 12ft. They are very heavy. I would not attempt to plant them without a piece of equipment. A few landscapers I spoke with did not recommend them, I found out later they just had no equipment to move them. Another downside is they are delivered without much if any foliage. It takes about 6 to 8 months to see any. Call any landscaper in the area and they can give you a price. Check out http://www.floridata.com/lists/palms.cfm The palms good for this area are: Cabbage palm (Sabal), Washington palm, Queen palm, Jelly palm (Pindo), European Fan Palm, Chinese Fan and Ribbon Fan Palm.

Very good info. Thanks! First time I ever heard of the weight issue for a relatively small tree.

Barefoot
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
We'll be planting some palm trees in the fall, so this is an interesting thread for me. We want a large decorative tree for the front yard, perhaps a Silvester. And we need some short globular palms for the back yard perimeter to provide privacy.

Pindo and Sabal palm trees appear to be very hardy. But I think they both generate fruit. As a seasonal resident, I wonder how much clean-up is required. If the fruit drops, and isn't immediately cleaned up, I suppose it would attract snakes and rodents. Just a thought.

Army Guy
05-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Barefoot also try a canary palm. We have one and it made it through the cold without a hitch!

Yes, agree on the fruit, it is very messy. We told our landscaper none of them exactly for that reason.

Army Guy

JohnN
05-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I think Windmill Palms are very pretty fan palms that are very cold hardy.

Village Palms on 466 was planting some for a neighbor, one about 7 feet high ran about $350 "installed"

Bosoxfan
05-10-2010, 05:11 PM
What about palm(roof) rats? Which type of palm do they tend to visit? live? breed?

Barefoot
05-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Barefoot also try a canary palm. We have one and it made it through the cold without a hitch!

Yes, agree on the fruit, it is very messy. We told our landscaper none of them exactly for that reason. Army Guy

I will try a canary palm. Thanks for the suggestion.

Some palms have roof rats? :22yikes: Now that is news to me. Perhaps they prefer the fruit bearing trees?

batman911
05-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Does anyone have Royal palms in TV? They are very nice but I believe they would not be safe below 30 degrees.