PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to pop for a new computer?

TrudyM
05-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I can't track down my son who usually answers my computer questions so I hope you don't mind if I tap your collective brains.

My husband got given a Nano 2G mini as a thanks for not quiting gift that Boeing gives out every once in awhile. I bought the wall electric pug so I could charge it without the computer.

Then I read that you need a 2G USB port to load it. Will it load on a slower USB just slowly or am I out of luck.

Then a few minutes ago I left the computer to get a cup of Joe and when I returned I had a message saying my virtual memory is low. I checked my computer and I am only using 25% of my hard drive. So what the hell is virtual memory.

I have been puting off buying a new computer as we retire next year and as things change so fast I figured I might want to wait as long as possible to replace my old 2001 tower (which I put new memory in 4 years ago.) with a laptop. I am attached to this tower have everything on it, a slaved second drive (that I disconnect after backup) so I can back stuff up. I put a card in one of the expansion slots, that lets me watch TV in a window, while I surf the net. Do I really have to bite the bullet and go get a laptop?:shrug:

k2at
05-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Trudy, 2001 computer. That is like riding around in a Model T Ford. What operating system is loaded on that Dino. Do urself a favor and enter the 21st. century. For $500, u can buy a system which will run circles around the computer u r presently using.

You can also use the existing one u have as a boat anchor.

Just poking some fun!

TrudyM
05-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Trudy, 2001 computer. That is like riding around in a Model T Ford. What operating system is loaded on that Dino. Do urself a favor and enter the 21st. century. For $500, u can buy a system which will run circles around the computer u r presently using.

You can also use the existing one u have as a boat anchor.

Just poking some fun!

I know I always had a company supplied laptop and a T-1 conection at work then layed off so is no more. This is the dino I used at home. But I figure I was trying to wait to get the newest fastest et all. I was thinking with the new pad types taking off that we were on the brink of another leap in tech and didn't want to update in a year and add two to the landfill instead of one. They charge $25 to recyle/dump them around here.

jblum8156
05-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Trudy, you sound like you actually know quite a lot about computers but you are pretending not to.
You must know that a 10-year-old PC really is a dinosaur. You don't have to buy a laptop.
For about $500 you can get a desktop computer that will run circles around your old one, and you can transfer your old files to it. The new Windows 7 that will come with it really is a good operating system.

TrudyM
05-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Trudy, you sound like you actually know quite a lot about computers but you are pretending not to.
You must know that a 10-year-old PC really is a dinosaur. You don't have to buy a laptop.
For about $500 you can get a desktop computer that will run circles around your old one, and you can transfer your old files to it. The new Windows 7 that will come with it really is a good operating system.

Like alot of people I learned what I needed to know for work but most of my knowledge is out of date. I just hate !!!!!!!! to shop and the idea of going out and buying a new computer gives me a headache. You guys are saying what I was afraid of. I will just have to brave the stores and get a new one.

graciegirl
05-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Best Buy has some young people working there called the Geek Squad. They were helpful to me when I bought my last computer. Everyone is right. You need a new one. If it says your virtual memory is low and you have to clean out your cookies and history frequently, than it is time to throw it out.

It is so much fun to get a new one and have instant gratification. You will love it and you deserve it.

Pturner
05-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I vote for a new one too. You can watch TV and movies on it better than on your clunker. In many other ways too, Windows 7 is WAY better than XP. No matter when you buy a computer, a "latest and greatest" is just around the corner.

I've seen the iPad. Right now, it is just a big iPhone without the phone or camera. If you "have everything" on your tower now, I doubt you would want to replace it with a Pad type computer. The iPad is great for portable movies, videos and photos. It's ok for surfing the net. But would you really want to type on a pad instead of a keyboard?

New computer? Go for it!

memason
05-08-2010, 04:13 AM
I agree with the new computer route... A new $500 computer is certainly worth the "Hassle Factor" involved in making your old computer healthy again.

Now for the technical.... As GG said in her post, I suspect your virtual memory problem is simply a "housekeeping" issue....old hard drive, lots of temp files, cache's, etc. A nearly full hard drive would cause your automatically calculated virtual memory size to be reduced, "potentially" causing your problem. I say potential, since there could be other issues at play, which would contribute to the Hassle Factor of trying to repair.

Finally, I agree with PTurner..an iPad would not be a replacement for your "primary" computer. I plan to buy one next week, when I'm in the States, but it'll simply be a toy.

Good luck!

k2at
05-08-2010, 09:44 AM
The best place to shop for a computer is on the Dell site. If u know the processing speed u desire and the memory, the rest is duck soup. You start with the basic computer and then build your desired options into it. Each time you add an option, the site tells you how much more the set-up is. With Windows 7 out there, now is not a bad time to pick up that new computer.

Gud Luk

ldj1938
05-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Since you seem to know computers I would suggest you download Ubuntu 10.04, install it sided by side with windoze and see how your computer runs. The newest version of Ubuntu is very easy to install and operates much like windoze only much faster. It's free, simple to install and use. Linux is finally getting to be very user friendly. You will be amazed at the difference in speed. Everyone who has an outdated computer should give it try.:crap2:
You can actually run in from a cd without installing it and then nothing will change on your computer and you can see if you want to try it.

ldj1938
05-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I would also add that Linux does NOT get viruses, rootkits, malware, and all that other garbage.

TrudyM
05-09-2010, 04:09 PM
:yuck: Did I mention I hate to shop.

That said I went to Best Buy and looked on the Dell site,
Processors OPINIONS Please!

Ok $569 laptop with 17" screen

AMD Turion II duel core M520
or
NEW 2010 IntelŪCore™ i3 - 330M

Or for another $80
Intel's latest Core i3 and Core i5 processors
Plus another 1GB memory (but I don't use much memory as I put important files on a thumb)

I am leaning toward a laptop. My other option is to get a mini ($275) use it for the web and travel and set up a desktop when we are somewere (the villages probably) perminant. I will have to decide if I will want to run design software for my stained glass if so I will have to get a destktop later as it won't run well on a laptop or so I was told by gracie's geek squad.