PDA

View Full Version : Gas Carts, new or reconditioned?

reshke
05-10-2010, 09:20 AM
We are coming down in a couple of weeks and plan on buying a cart. We have an electric Club Car, but want to get a second gas cart because of the range. Probably looking at a remanufactured Yamaha from Villages Carts, but open to other options. Any real disadvantages in buying remanufactured? Looks like we can get one fully equiped for around $6000. Any other brand or dealer recommendations? Any thoughts would be welcome.

ajbrown
05-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Give Scott a shout for comparison.

http://grandpaandgrandmasvillagebuggies.com/

BaylorBear
05-10-2010, 11:55 AM
We are coming down in a couple of weeks and plan on buying a cart. We have an electric Club Car, but want to get a second gas cart because of the range. Probably looking at a remanufactured Yamaha from Villages Carts, but open to other options. Any real disadvantages in buying remanufactured? Looks like we can get one fully equiped for around $6000. Any other brand or dealer recommendations? Any thoughts would be welcome.

We bought our reconditioned Yamaha gas cart from John at The Villages Cart Shop. Have had only great experiences with it. Recommend highly buying reconditioned.

l2ridehd
05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Make sure you know what you are buying. There is reconditioned, remanufactured, and refurbished. Each one is very different. Ask the question and make sure they explain in detail what has been done. I have bought a new, a private sale, and a refurbished. All are fine, but in each case I knew what I was getting.

njbchbum
05-10-2010, 04:01 PM
We highly recommend Scott and Vicky from Grandpa and Grandmas Village Buggies up on 441/27 - no one sells a gas cart like his - they are tops in the materials and features included on your cart - can't beat the quality!

Our cart was appraised by a cart mechanic as newer and more expensive than Scott charged! And they are TV residents, too!

Pturner
05-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Hi reshke,

We bought a used 2003 Yamaha in November from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. I have no idea if it's reconditioned, remanufactured or refurbished. We didn't know to ask. :o

We had one problem with a fuel line (if I remember right?) in April. Carts and Clubs came out promptly to fix it. It was a minor repair (although having it quit on hubby on his way home was quite the funny fiasco).

Anyway, we paid $4,800 for the cart and, except for the one small repair, and it runs great. It was used by our renters all winter. I guess time will tell, but so far, we are very happy with the Yamaha.

Best of luck with your 2nd cart.

Donna2
05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
OK. I bet I am not the only one who would like the definitions of:

Reconditioned

Remanufactured

Refurbished

Anybody got a short description for each?

Yoda
05-10-2010, 06:10 PM

Reconditioned

Remanufactured

Refurbished

You ask a lot. Can't wait to hear.

Yoda

Donna2
05-10-2010, 06:13 PM
You ask a lot. Can't wait to hear.

Yoda

Aren't you glad I ask a lot? :rolleyes: LOL

ijusluvit
05-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Reconditioned

Remanufactured

Refurbished

What I learned up to the point when I bought a remanufactured gas Club cart from Masters Golf Cars a couple of years ago is that the three words mean only one thing for certain: that the cart is not new. Beyond that, the dealer can use "re"something to mean anything they want. But the words are not important. The dealer's reputation and the precise detail of what they will do to the cart is what counts. I got a recommendation to Masters from someone who knew carts and area dealers well. I wanted a COMPLETE redo of a cart which was a few years old. I don't know how anyone can determine how hard the cart was used in it's former life, but I put together a sort of checklist of all cart components and discussed each with Masters. I was satisfied that for several thousand dollars less than the cost of a new cart, I would get a complete restoration. That meant that everything except the engine was taken apart, replaced or cleaned, painted, etc. I added lots of options including a four-passenger seating area. When the cart was delivered I examined it very carefully. I was unable to tell that it was not brand new. I've been very happy with the cart ever since, more satisfied than two friends who agree their redos were less thoroughly done. I am sold on the complete redo process. While Masters did a very good job on the redo, they are not real good for routine service. But I didn't care about that, I've got a fabulous repair person. He's another story, which I also told here a few months ago.

Pturner
05-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Re, re, re, re, re, re, re, re spect
just a little bit.
:sing:

Sorry, these posts, these re-words, I just couldn't get it out of my head. You with me, Boomer?