PDA

View Full Version : Airport Transportation

ruthstro
05-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to choose a car service to the airport. Listed in today's Daily Sun: Jim Walsh, AAA to Z, Yellow Cab, Call A Village Resident, KJ's Airport Service, Tom (acarride@comcast.com), Door to Door, Gaston. Does anybody have any experience with any of these? Also, feel free to suggest someone else.
Thanks, Ruth

islandgal
05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I just booked my trip to the airport with the Yellow Cab folks. It's $35 each way, each person door to door. They said they are striving to be "faster, cheaper, better" than the shuttle. Anyhow, their number is 352-241-2000.

I can vouch for this service.
If you type airport transportation in the search column at the top of the page, you will find several discussions on this.

PGB
05-11-2010, 12:41 PM
I've heard only good things about "Yellow Cab".
Good luck!

redwitch
05-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I've heard good things about both Yellow Cab and Jim Walsh.

cometgirl
06-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Mommys3angls, Can you tell me a little bit more about your experience? I am sorry you missed your flight. Were they late picking you up at your house? How much time did you allow from the time they were suppose to pick you up and your flight? Not that I am in any way putting the blame on you, I am just new to TV and am still a little unsure about how much time to allow from door to boarding and I hope to learn from your experience.

I agree the the Villages Airport Van is a very pleasant experience but sometimes their schedule just doesn't work for me. Next week I am coming to TV and I just miss the 4:45 shuttle and the next one does not leave the airport till 8:30 pm. I don't want to wait that long so I was going to try yellow cab. I was also thinking of using them on the return to the airport, so more details please!

l2ridehd
06-09-2010, 07:20 AM
I have used Jim Walsh and he was great. The service to select is based on the number of people traveling. Yellow cab is per person, Jim was a fixed price for the trip. So if alone Yellow cab or the Villages shuttle is the best deal. If more then one, I like Jim as he has a big comfortable car and it is door to door service.

Now that I have a car I leave in TV, I have my home watch person, redwitch, pick me up and take me back. My gas and tolls, but still the best service of all.

cometgirl
06-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Wow that is a horror story. My problem is, I am getting in at 4:50 and don't want to wait two hours for the van. I will probably try "the yellow taxi" service and hope all goes well, if not I will try to flag down the "original" village van service at 6:45 pm. At least now, i will keep your experience in mind. I'll report on my experience. I come down to TV on the 30th of June.

Pat_RI
06-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Rent a car at the airport and return it to the car rental in the Villages...much cheaper than a cab I would think.

skip0358
06-12-2010, 10:02 PM
I use my own car and park in the blue lot. I've done it twice so far and it works fine. Cost $10. per day but it works out better then the buses. If the plane is delayed I don't have to worry about missing my ride or paying wait time. After I get my bags I'm in my car within15 mins and on my way home. My neighbor just used Yellow Cab theyforgot to pick him up, said the dispatch person had him down for PM instead of AM. He wound up driving and using the blue lot.

Avista
06-13-2010, 05:59 AM
IF possible, we prefer to fly out of Tampa. (Nice airport and no tolls-unless you use Veterans Expressway--and that would be only one)

There are many private off site parking businesses that are less cost than the airport and will shuttle you to your airline. Plus many different priced parking lots at the airport.

We think it is a more pleasant drive and nice airport. Although sometimes we do find in necessary to fly out of Orlando.

CTgolfer
06-13-2010, 09:07 AM
I use my own car and park in the blue lot. I've done it twice so far and it works fine. Cost $10. per day but it works out better then the buses. If the plane is delayed I don't have to worry about missing my ride or paying wait time. After I get my bags I'm in my car within15 mins and on my way home. My neighbor just used Yellow Cab theyforgot to pick him up, said the dispatch person had him down for PM instead of AM. He wound up driving and using the blue lot.

Do you need to make a reservation for the blue lot? I assume there is a shuttle bus that takes you to the departure airline.

swrinfla
06-13-2010, 04:33 PM
I've used the Blue Lot for many trips. The $10 a day is fine for me. Yes, I try to work it out ahead of time (How long am I going to park? What sort of schedule does the lot have? etc.?). Never a problem!

SWR
:beer3:

benameri
07-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to choose a car service to the airport. Listed in today's Daily Sun: Jim Walsh, AAA to Z, Yellow Cab, Call A Village Resident, KJ's Airport Service, Tom (acarride@comcast.com), Door to Door, Gaston. Does anybody have any experience with any of these? Also, feel free to suggest someone else.
Thanks, Ruth

Ruth, I have used Yellow Cab twice and satisfied both times. They pick you up at your residence and drop you off at the proper departure airlines.
Hope this helps.
Benameri

Dynasty
07-13-2010, 12:27 PM
My wife and I are looking to share a ride from Sanford to the Villages on August 12th at 9:00 pm. Anyone going our way?

mgm4444
08-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Is Jim Walsh a Villager? What does he charge from Orlando airport? Anyone have his number?

l2ridehd
08-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Go to www.virginiatrace.com, open the good services list and his number is under airport transportation. I have used him and he was great.

mgm4444
08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
many thanks l2 !

salpal
08-02-2010, 08:43 PM
I used Yellow Cab, great service. Make sure whomever you are picking up understands their vans do not say "Yellow Cab". They ask for cell phone of person you are picking up and they make sure they find them.

Jane52
08-15-2010, 04:48 PM
This airport van service (door to door service) was outstanding yesterday. Village Airport Taxi - 352-241-2000. For $35, I was picked up at my house in Bonita (last stop before the airport), and we made it to Orlando airport in one hour flat (Saturday p.m.). The driver was extremely accommodating and helpful.

This service was far better than The Villages Airpot Bus I came in on 2 weeks ago, to Lake Sumter Landing. I had to pay for a taxi in addition to bus fare, to get to my house. Plus, the p.m. schedule of the bus is not convenient--on most other arrivals to Orlando, I would have had to wait almost 2 hours for the next bus departure after getting off the plane.

I will definitely use the airport taxi (352-241-2000) as long as the last pickup is in the southern part of The Villages. I do not want to dilly-dally around in other towns south of The Villages after being picked up, and it appears they learned that from older comments here.

CSilvestrucci
08-15-2010, 05:33 PM
I also was very happy with Village Airport Van. Driver was very courteous and on time. I will use them every time I fly now.

advp007
11-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Was wondering if everyone was aware that Villages Airport Van is NOT the same as Villages Transportation.

The Villages Transportation is the original airport shuttle service to Orlando International Airport. I tried the new "Villages Airport Van" just for the home pick up aspect of it, and had a horrible experience. Missed my flight, and from reading other blogs in here, I am not the only one that experienced this. I will never stray from The Villages shuttle service again. They are so much more accomodating and RELIABLE!!! They are there when they say they will be, no questions asked.. Lets stick with our own... 352-259-9398

Just to clarify - The Villages Shuttle service is a privately owned company and is not as you say one of our own. I have used both. My preference is The airport van service. They had some initial issues but have come a long way. They are more flexible and have a van running every half hour from the airport as opposed to every two hours.

jblum315
09-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I've been using Village Airport Van (Yellow Cab) for 2 years for myself and family and have never had a problem.

gatherer47
10-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I use Gaston who advertises in the daily paper.He is friendly ,dependable,and has Sirius radio channel 5 -sounds of the fifties

Barefoot
10-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I will never stray from The Villages shuttle service again. They are so much more accomodating and RELIABLE!!! They are there when they say they will be, no questions asked.. Lets stick with our own... 352-259-9398

We've found just the opposite. We think that the Village Van (yellow cab) has TWO distinct advantages over the Village shuttle. The Village van runs 24 hours a day and they pick you up at home.

We've used the Village van many times over the last few years. We always double check with the dispatcher the day before travel to make sure all details are correct. My husband commutes and often arrived after midnight, so Village van has been a Godsend for us!

jblum315
10-08-2011, 04:40 AM
I agree the the Villages Airport Van is a very pleasant experience but sometimes their schedule just doesn't work for me. Next week I am coming to TV and I just miss the 4:45 shuttle and the next one does not leave the airport till 8:30 pm. I don't want to wait that long so I was going to try yellow cab. I was also thinking of using them on the return to the airport, so more details please![/QUOTE]

Now you're confused. The Villages Airport Van (Yellow Cab) does not have a schedule. They go and come as many times as there are passengers, all day and ALL NIGHT. The Village Shuttle has a schedule.
I have used Villages Airport Van about 20 times and never had a problem.

duffysmom
10-08-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm confused, if a single traveler wants to use the Airport Van (yellow cab) and they make a reservation will they meet you or is there a designated pick up area. Also what is the charge for one person and do they make many stops.
It's gets tiring running back and forth to the airport. Thanks

784caroline
10-08-2011, 04:21 PM
I just made the following arrangements ...there are 2 of us travelling

Orlando AP (plane ar at 10PM) to the Villages w/ Enterprise $66.84 and I will pay for tolls and gas but this is a late pickup at the airport and I get to drop off the car in LSL the next morning..Total cost for 2 of us will be about $90-95. NO drop off charge.

The Villages to Tampa Airport...Hertz in Spanish Springs $66.03 plus gas so approx total cost for 2 people will be $75-80 NO DROP off charge ( Enterprise has a drop off charge from TV to Tampa or even Orlando airport). PLus we have an early morning flt so we will stay a
at a hotel and have use of the car to get a meal the night before we take off..... drop off is right at the airport w/ shuttle to the terminal..

These arrangements are great for 2 or more people travelling together.

Barefoot
10-08-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm confused, if a single traveler wants to use the Airport Van (yellow cab) and they make a reservation will they meet you or is there a designated pick up area. Also what is the charge for one person and do they make many stops.
It's gets tiring running back and forth to the airport. Thanks

When I have company coming, I give them the toll-free number of the Airport Van.
$35.00.
Pick up at home, or a designated spot at the airport.
Number of stops depends on whether there are other passengers traveling around the same time. There will probably be delays. It is not a taxi, it is a van. I hope this helps.

duffysmom
10-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks Barefoot. Your note helps.:clap2:

Ellynmae
11-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Mommys3angls, Can you tell me a little bit more about your experience? I am sorry you missed your flight. Were they late picking you up at your house? How much time did you allow from the time they were suppose to pick you up and your flight? Not that I am in any way putting the blame on you, I am just new to TV and am still a little unsure about how much time to allow from door to boarding and I hope to learn from your experience.

I agree the the Villages Airport Van is a very pleasant experience but sometimes their schedule just doesn't work for me. Next week I am coming to TV and I just miss the 4:45 shuttle and the next one does not leave the airport till 8:30 pm. I don't want to wait that long so I was going to try yellow cab. I was also thinking of using them on the return to the airport, so more details please!
next shuttle would be 645pm just so your aware :)they run from 4:30 am to 11:30 pm with 11 runs i love them

Doodlegirl
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
A couple is flying in to Orlando airport the Monday mid morning before THX and coming to my house and then on to the Lifestyle Preview. They wil be leaving the Lifestyle Preview early on Friday after Thanksgiving. I told them I would make and pay for the arrangements. I don't want them hanging aroud the airport to long...do the pick up people hold signs (Delta) in the baggage claim area? Then, I read there is a discont. Who should I call to be sure they are not hanging at MCO?