PDA

View Full Version : Fairplay?

cooterbrown
05-12-2010, 01:39 PM
I recently made the move to The Villages, and I expect a golf cart purchase is coming soon. I have been seeing ads in the paper for a local dealer called Golf cart connection who is rolling out some specials on Fairplay carts. I plan on going to check them out sometime this weekend as they are having some kind of promotion Thursday through Sat. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these carts? Looks like all but the body is American made from what Ive been reading. Also, any other suggestions as far as a cart goes?

Grill Meister
05-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't have any experience with Fairplay carts, but bought my first two carts from Golfcart Connection and they are wonderful people.

You will hear lots of controvery re gas vs electric....I certainly did when I was making the move to TV. Proponents of electric are the most outspoken: "gas stinks and makes noise." Proponents of gas just have nothing to say about electrics. :boxing2:

A starter at one of the golf courses made the most sense to me:

(1) most of the carts pulled off the golf courses are electric, albeit it's just a simple electric connection that causes the problem....still the problem has ruined the day.

(2) If you are going to plug the cart in at night, drive to the course the next day, play 18 holes and go home and plug it in again, by all means go electric. But, with the way TV is growing, if you want to go from one end of TV to the other to play all of the courses, do your shopping and go out to eat with your cart.....and drive it at night.....you have gotta go gas, because the headlights on an electric will greatly shorten the range.

I think the electrics are quoted as going 60 miles on a charge, but I don't know if that includes night driving. I can go 200 miles on a tank of gas, burning headlights and playing the on-board radio, which I can hear over "that noisy gas engine".:coolsmiley:

The choice is yours.:MOJE_whot:

TomOB67
05-19-2010, 12:13 AM
here's my .02 cents from experience...
dont go the cheap Fairplay route, you will hate it in a year...and then theres the fact theres no goodies or accesories to speak of available for it. Be carefule of these..just googled, it...looks very very similiar to the cheap china made Star carts.
I agree withthe previous post, go gas. The Villages is growing and an electric cart just cant keep up with the use you will want to give it. leave to play golf at 8 AM, then lunch, then putz around..the you neeed to recharge for 12 hours so you have no cart for the night. Go gas, go Yamaha. Theres a Yamaha dealer in Ocala that is known to have great pricing and service. You will save over a thousand by going to Ocala over The Villages dealer.

Jakel
09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Last year my wife and I rented in TV, and the people we rented from were great to us, and they included use of their gas golf cart. Unfortunately, we were both sickened by the fumes that were eminated from the engine, and ended up taking our car everywhere, after the second or third attempt with the cart.

When I opened the seat and looked at the motor, it appeared that the exhaust pipe was right under the seat!! Is that typical of a gas cart??....Is there always an odor?? I can see definite advantages to a gas cart, but if getting sick is included in the mix, then it's not worth it. Are you all just getting used to the fumes, or did we have a bad cart??

Also, are the electric carts equipped with a solar charger, and would that extend the run time, as the cart would be charging much of the time it was being used?? Thanks

mrdills
09-23-2010, 04:00 PM
I have to agree with Jakel, I drive in many gas golf carts and it is so hard to carry a conversation I just stopped talking until the person stops the golf cart. Its your choice so consider the alternatives.

elevatorman
09-23-2010, 05:26 PM
We have 2 electric and drive them daily. Have gone from Duval to Amberwood, golfed, into Spanish Springs for lunch and back to Duval. No problems and could have gone farther. Check out the EZGO RXV.

Pturner
09-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I recently made the move to The Villages, and I expect a golf cart purchase is coming soon. I have been seeing ads in the paper for a local dealer called Golf cart connection who is rolling out some specials on Fairplay carts. I plan on going to check them out sometime this weekend as they are having some kind of promotion Thursday through Sat. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these carts? Looks like all but the body is American made from what Ive been reading. Also, any other suggestions as far as a cart goes?

Hi Cooterbrown,

Welcome to TV and to Talk of the Villages! You'll love it here!

I don't know about Fairplay carts. Make sure whatever you get is "Villages ready". That would include sunbrella, headlights and turn signals, 20 m.p.h. speed, rear mirrors, basket, a build-in cooler and (if you're a golfer) sand holder and golf-club cleaning.

Another issue on gas vs. electric is that gas carts hold their speed on hills. I've read that some electrics are better than others in this regard. Take a test drive.

Remember that in TV, you'll probably find yourself using your golf cart as a main source of transportation, whether for shopping, dining, recreation or entertainment within TV. So get something that will last.

Please post again and let us know what you think of the Fairplay carts after you check them out. I'd be anxious to hear a review.

All best wishes!

RichieLion
09-23-2010, 07:02 PM
I have 2 electrics because I also don't like the noise and fumes. I've taken my 2006 rebuilt by Golf Cart Connection Club Car IQ/DS from Bonita to Spanish Springs LaReina Bldg. and back and then to Mallory all the way up on 42 and back and then to the square at night and back on a single charge and with power to spare. It all depends on how you break in your batteries and service the cart as required. Test drive both electric and gas before you buy.

BBQMan
09-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I have a street legal Tomberlin. I started a test drive at the extreme NW of TV (Charham), went to the Pack and Ship on 466 - from there to Sam's Club (the extreme SE of the Villages - from there to Publix Mulberry (the extreme NE of TV) and then home - a total of 28 miles all done with my lights on. At the end, I was still going up the Chatham hill at 22mph and still had plenty of charge left.

If you want an electric, and if you want street legal it must be electric, the key to not getting stuck is battery maintenance. I have a tube system on mine that lets me add water to all batteries at once and cuts off filling when the battery water is full. I check it twice a month and it will always take just a little water.

If you take care of it, an electric will not leave you stranded on a golf course.

784caroline
09-25-2010, 08:23 AM
NOt that long ago Golf Cart Connection was the top rated builder of remanufactered golf cart in the area....and got rave reviews on TOTV. YOu donot see that Today!! For whatever reason they practically stopped dealing in Club cars (they still have a few) and are dealing in "off brands" ....Star Car (at one point but lost that franchise) and now Fairplay.

I would stick with the Big Boys..Club Car,Yamaha, Parr etc.

BTW Cart World on 441 just received a large shipment of about 6 month old 2010 carts ..Precedents 2 and 4 seater) that wil lhave the remaining CLub Car warranty (about 3 1/2 years). 4 seaters were going for $5995 and fully outfitted with lights turnsignals etc, sumbrella covers, new color, overhead tray, and golf bag addition (for 4 passenger)...well it came to about $7200 -$7300. NEW 2010 Precendent Villager 4 were starting at $7900. 2 Seaters will be cheaper!