PDA

View Full Version : painting concrete

salpal
05-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The previous owner of my CYV had the floor of the front porch and lanai painted or stained, not sure. Anyway, it is a color I do not think matches very well, in addition, it has a swirl design going through it, as though someone dipped a paint brush into a darker color and made designs. I want to paint it a neutral color. Is it possible to paint over this finish with a simple concrete paint? I assume so, but wanted to ask if someone else had this experience and if so, suggestions? I am a do it yourself person, so not looking for contractor names.

Rag Bagger
05-17-2010, 07:54 AM
paint over it but. If it was stained and has a very shiney finish (sealed) the paint will not stick to the finish. Go to the people at Color Wheel they can help you pick out a paint and if tell you if the surface needs to be etched or roughed up mechanically.
Color wheel has a store in Wedgewood just east of The Ace Hardware store.

salpal
05-17-2010, 08:55 AM
thanks! I will take your advice.

ajbrown
05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
If it were me, I would call a professional for an estimate. Someone like Cost-Less (there are other good folks also). It simply gives another option and you may gain some insight to how they would deal with it.

Whether you go that way or not, the information may help.

Russ_Boston
05-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Do you have to maintain the original color of the Villa? I thought I was told that.

graciegirl
05-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Please tell us what you learned. I am a do it yourselfer too and our screened in porch here in Ohio has never had the floor painted. I thought a neutral color might add to its' value and we prepare it for sale.

salpal
05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
GGirl
In our home now (Delaware), I painted our utility room floor with concrete paint. It turned out great and easy, just like regular paint only thicker. My home sold the first day it was on the market and we are moving to TV in mid-June. I like to think that in addition to my staging (Thank you HGTV) that the cleanliness of places like utility room added to the staging. I even polished the hot water heater!! (seriously, I did).

I did make a HUGE mistake in the garage. Used the expoy paint with the glitter stuff....looked great for about two weeks, then grease spots started to eat through the paint. Lesson learned: If doing garage or any area where there may be grease stains, they must be thoroughly removed first. The area in the garage where there was not any stain underneath remain nice.

I would say go ahead and paint, it looks clean and fresh.

salpal
05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
RussBoston:
Congrats on your new home in TV. I do not know about matching the CYV rules, but if there are rules, previous owner did not comply. The cement is painted blue and the CYV is a yellowish color, but you cannot notice from the street. When we move there in mid-June, I am going to paint cement on front porch to match the CYV as closely as I am able. If not able to match very well, will use good old beige.

ditzyfitzy
05-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Someone mentioned that they heard that there was a "community tool loan" program here in The Villages....
Does anyone have any info or a telephone number?
Thanks,
Lynn

batman911
05-18-2010, 04:48 PM
When painting concrete, it is best to thoroughly wash the surface with a strong detergent. Then, after a good rinse and drying, use a mild acid solution to etch the concrete. The acid solution is readily available at most hardward stores. Be careful not to get any on yourself or your clothing. After the surface is rinsed and dried, you are ready to paint and the paint will not peel.

ditzyfitzy
05-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks.
Looking to rent/borrow the spayer for the paint for the concrete....do you know if there is such a place in The Villages?

Lynn

sallistang
07-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Can anyone tell me if you can seal over the garage floor if is clean. I don't want to paint it then seal it, I would rather just seal it.

mrdills
07-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Home Depot rents out equipment