PDA

View Full Version : Is security a worry at free wifi spots?

TrudyM
05-25-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't know that much about computers et al. But someone said I should never log on with a laptop at a place that has free wifi as it is an open network and anyone can spy or send you a virus. Don't know if that is true, just what I was told.

SALYBOW
05-25-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't believe that is the case. There is no way to connect to your laptop just because you are in a free wi fi area. If that were the case getting on the net at all would allow for the same thing. All you are doing is using someone else's access to the net. You are not granting them direct access to your computer. That can be done but it is a very different process which you must initiate. :ohdear:.

Russ_Boston
05-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I agree with Sally.

Your laptop is as solid as YOUR security. The network is just the network.

At least that is what I think.

TrudyM
05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
I updated to the virus software people here recommended the free one from microsoft.

Jerseyboy2
05-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Trudy - What you heard was a reference to the fact that the data that you are transmitting between your PC and the free WiFi spot can be intercepted, since it is a radio signal. I agree with Russ that it is very important that you keep your security software up to date and have your PC setting for encryption set properly. If you have these in place you should be comfortable using free WiFi hot spots.

ajbrown
05-26-2010, 09:08 AM
They used the term 'open network' which is an issue you must consider. You are now on a public network potentially not protected by an external firewall. All protection must be done by your local firewall on your PC.

Any other computer on that network (and potentially beyond) can initiate a connection to you. It will be up to your local firewall to reject it. So before connecting to any public network, make sure your operating system is patched and the firewall is ON and setup to reject inbound connections.

Where else is a public network that people do not think of? Your Comcast cable modem. If you connect directly to the modem you are on the Internet and folks can and will find your computer. I always install a router (FW) between my computer(s) and the cable modem. Hopefully the router-FW is secure :)

TrudyM
05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
They used the term 'open network' which is an issue you must consider. You are now on a public network potentially not protected by an external firewall. All protection must be done by your local firewall on your PC.

Any other computer on that network (and potentially beyond) can initiate a connection to you. It will be up to your local firewall to reject it. So before connecting to any public network, make sure your operating system is patched and the firewall is ON and setup to reject inbound connections.

Where else is a public network that people do not think of? Your Comcast cable modem. If you connect directly to the modem you are on the Internet and folks can and will find your computer. I always install a router (FW) between my computer(s) and the cable modem. Hopefully the router-FW is secure :)

I did not know that. I am connected to a comcast modem as we type.

I am like many I am sure only moderatly computer literate. I use excel for just about everything and no other aplications except tax software.
I am considering a design software for working on my stained glass but it isn't cheap and I am afraid after I get it I will not be smart enough to use it and end up back with pencil and transfer paper.

ajbrown
05-26-2010, 01:31 PM
I did not know that. I am connected to a comcast modem as we type.

I am like many I am sure only moderatly computer literate. I use excel for just about everything and no other aplications except tax software.
I am considering a design software for working on my stained glass but it isn't cheap and I am afraid after I get it I will not be smart enough to use it and end up back with pencil and transfer paper.

You are likely OK and I am sure you will figure out the software, although the first time I had to use PhotoShop I swear my head would explode :)

There are several sites around that you can use to check your FW. Try http://www.auditmypc.com/firewall-test.asp

This will try and open up connections to your PC and send you a report. IMO it is worth having a router, something like a Linksys (could even include wifi). It make it much harder for anyone to see services on your PC.

Here some general info about firewalls: http://www.firewallguide.com/

TrudyM
05-26-2010, 01:33 PM
I already keep my personal information on external drives (thumb). I was told to run a full (not quick) virus scan before I plug them in and never leave them plugged in. So arn't I safe? :Screen_of_Death:

AJ I have printed out your post and will take it with me when I get a router this weekend. thanks.

Mudder
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Trudy, we were on Mercer Island for 13 days, just got home yesterday ! We are closing on a house at TV on Friday. Currently we live in Tampa and can't wait to get to TV. MI was great, love it there. Picked up a great sweater at the wonderful thrift shop there. Had our last meal there at the kosher pizza place...so awesome ! We also use a router with computers and never have problems with security. Have used laptops all over TV, our secuirty seems to do the trick.

Bala Cynwyd, PA
Boxford, MA
Tampa, FL
Villages, Fl starting in two days !

SALYBOW
05-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Two of my favorite geeks have recommended that I download and install AVG--the free version. I have been using it for a long time and I pass that firewall test (listed above) with flying colors.

jimt49
05-26-2010, 10:27 PM
I am sitting here reading what is being said and I can picture a couple of 16 year olds smacking their lips. While firewalls may and i stress may protect you from intrusion to your computer, data that is being transmitted can be intercepted. Packet sniffers set to look for passwords or credit card strings can easily find your private information depending on the hotspot and their and the site you are accessings security. Never, ever do any banking or purchasing with credit cards while connected at a public hotspot. Some of those 16 year olds I mentioned are scary smart when it comes to this.

Pturner
05-27-2010, 09:48 AM

I do to AJ. I'm a "bit" surprised at the lax security attitudes expressed. I use public networks only with a laptop that doesn't have sensitive data on it. Use router for my home computer. Routers are inexpensive-- especially compared with identity theft.