PDA

View Full Version : Whole house water filter installation

zummy
06-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a courtyard villa and am looking to install a whole house filter. I've done this up north with no problem because the incoming pipe is accessible. Where can I find the incoming water pipe to install this filter in a courtyard Villa? Anybody? Thanks

getdul981
06-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I have no idea where the water comes into the house, but are you looking to install a filter or water softener? Does the water need filtering?

bluedog103
06-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I asked the builder's rep the same question when we had our walk through. He said they usually install them the same place water softeners are installed. In our designer it's in the garage where your water shut off valve is located. You have to use a couple of elbows because the pipes are in the wall. You need route them out of the wall so you can have access to the filter. They're plastic pipes so it doesn't look too difficult.
We're snowbirds too so I'll take care of this when we return to TV in the fall.
The reason for the whole house filter is the same reason I installed one up north. The water just tastes nasty. Up here it's chlorine. I don't know what it is in TV but I'm hoping the filter removes whatever is causing the off taste. A softener might work too but a whole house filter is way less expensive and easy to maintain.

graciegirl
06-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Usually I don't think it tastes bad....but sometimes in really hot weather it seems like more bleach has been added to it. Same here in Cincinnati.

Maybe because those little microbes flouish in the heat.

Bogie Shooter
06-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Bleach??

graciegirl
06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Bleach??

Well it smells bleachy. I know for sure it isn't Scotch.:1rotfl:

Rag Bagger
06-09-2010, 06:35 PM
After a few weeks the water here is tasty. You will get use to it. Really. Then water everywhere else tastes like crude.

That's the way it's been everywhere I have lived.

bluedog103
06-09-2010, 07:23 PM
No doubt that works for you. Many people in TV say the water tastes just fine to them. I've just never been able to get used to the chlorine taste, no matter where I've lived. I'm not sure what it is that I taste in TV water but I've been unable to get used to that either.
We bought a coffee maker with a filtration disc which helps in the mornings. Other times we drink bottled water.

Pturner
06-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Fergit the water. Drink the Kool aid.

K9-Lovers
06-09-2010, 09:30 PM
We've been here about 6 weeks and I drink tap water. It tastes fine to me.

RichieLion
06-09-2010, 10:19 PM
I keep a Brita filtered pitcher in the Fridge and the water tastes good to me, with lots less expense. I don't need to shower or wash my clothes with filtered water.

Rag Bagger
06-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Blue, sorry got off the tract of your question. Our house has a panel in the garage. The cover snaps off and there is a whole house shut off valve behind the panel. That is where you can gain access to the incoming water line. I think the Villas have the same thing. It is real handy for snow birds when they leave for extended periods of time they can shut the water off to the house in case of a leak.

obxgal
06-10-2010, 08:35 PM
In the villas that valve is in the garage ... between your windows, near the floor behind a panel.

downeaster
06-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I have a courtyard villa and am looking to install a whole house filter. I've done this up north with no problem because the incoming pipe is accessible. Where can I find the incoming water pipe to install this filter in a courtyard Villa? Anybody? Thanks

If you want filtered water for drinking then you might want to consider installing an under sink in line filter connected to a dedicated tap (faucet or whatever) and another for the ice maker. I did it myself after getting all the needed material from Home Depot. (Or was it Lowe's? It was eight plus years ago.).

I didn't think a water softener was needed but I objected to the taste. My better half has no problem with the taste.

zummy
06-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks to all for their input. My issue is not taste, but clarity in my hot tub. I have had a hot tub in NY for 16 years and use Bromide tabs only and have not clarity problems, In Florida its a chemical nightmare. It starts with having to put a cloth filter over my tub filter for the 1st day of filtering. You should see what that looks like. If I didn't do that my tub filter would be a wreak. It looks like sludge. We are drinking that !!!!!!!!!!!

I have a shut off under a cover in the ground outside my garage window, not in the house. I guess I have to cut into the sheet rock to find the pipe entering the house. I imagine the filter would clog up in no time from my tub experience, so may not be worth the effort and water softener a potential.

Yoda
06-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks to all for their input. My issue is not taste, but clarity in my hot tub. I have had a hot tub in NY for 16 years and use Bromide tabs only and have not clarity problems, In Florida its a chemical nightmare. It starts with having to put a cloth filter over my tub filter for the 1st day of filtering. You should see what that looks like. If I didn't do that my tub filter would be a wreak. It looks like sludge. We are drinking that !!!!!!!!!!!

I have a shut off under a cover in the ground outside my garage window, not in the house. I guess I have to cut into the sheet rock to find the pipe entering the house. I imagine the filter would clog up in no time from my tub experience, so may not be worth the effort and water softener a potential.

What kind of hot tub does not have a filter?

Yoda

K9-Lovers
06-20-2010, 03:32 PM
What kind of hot tub does not have a filter?

Yoda

I think that he means that he puts an additional cloth filter on his hot tub filter, so that he has two methods to filter the water. That way, the "sludge" gets caught on the cloth instead of clogging up his hot tub filter.

If I am wrong, please correct me. :)

zummy
06-21-2010, 09:38 PM
your correct k-9. Its amazing the sludge thats in the water when 1st filtered. You wash the cover filter and reuse after each filling to take the initial sludge out of the water. We drink it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugh. I answered my own question. If I use a whole house filter, it would need changed daily it appears.

twinklesweep
05-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Reviving an old topic. Does anyone actually have a water softener installed in a courtyard villa? Where and how do you find the incoming main water pipe? There's no panel in the garage wall. Thank you.

cquick
07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Has anyone installed an Easy Water system? We are planning to do it when we buy our house in TV.

PJ
07-08-2011, 06:08 PM
I have the same question, how did that turn out for you Zummy? I'd like to install a whole house filter in my CYV. Any suggestions appreciated!!!

grrr rex
07-08-2011, 06:10 PM
You can buy a simple-to-operate Water Distilling machine for $100 online, and it gets everything out, even chlorine and fluoride. Water tastes great after being refrigerated. However, it takes 3 hours to make one gallon. But it's worth it.

zummy
07-08-2011, 07:12 PM
I never did the whole house, Just put a Pur on the kitchen and on the frig ice maker. Still amazed at what you get on a cloth filter in a hot tub when you first fill. I understand the water here may cause kidney stone issues in pets as well as potentially we folk. I'm building a house in Sanibel shortly and will probably put in a water softener.

Newport2008
08-24-2011, 05:39 AM
Whole house water filters are on the rise, but water softeners are also great options. I actually think that a water softener with a refrigerator water filter (http://www.filter-outlet.com) is the best plan. It is more cost effective and your appliances, tile and fixtures are still protected from hard water.

Deerfly
09-13-2011, 05:13 AM
We have been here eight years and have only an under the sink filter that I change the cartridge in once a year. We use that for coffee and drinking. We also have a liter wine carafe that we keep full of filtered water in the refrigerator for cold drinking water. Tap water is not very cold in Florida!
We also have a small filter on the refrigerator for the ice maker. No water softener either. The filter on the hot tub is just fine for filtering out any crud when filling it. Life is good.