PDA

View Full Version : Golf Course Conditions - Lopez poor

Taj44
06-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Just another public service announcement for other golfers. We had heard that Lopez (Erin) had bad greens, so we made our tee time for Ashley to Torri. The greens on both courses were quite bumpy, and possibly diseased. The fairways in general were pretty bad, with large areas of missing grass. What is happening to our golf courses? They've had plenty of growing season these past few months. I rarely play Lopez anyways, its such a drive, and higher priced than many of the other courses.

With Orange Blossom having just been aerated, that doesn't leave much of a selection. A friend played Glenview 2 weeks ago and said it was in poor shape. I think Tierra and Hacienda and Mallory have recently been aerated. That leaves Havana, which was pretty crummy a week or so ago, Cane and Palmer. Yikes!

villages07
06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I played Mallory - Amelia to Caroline on Wed (the $6 twilite deal). I'm not that experienced a golfer on the champ courses, but, thought the fairways were in good shape and the greens decent. Amelia had been aerated 6 days earlier but was in pretty decent shape.

I did play Lopez last Saturday morning (Erinn to Ashley) and agree that it was not in that great shape even for my inexperienced eyes.

Taj44
06-11-2010, 02:54 PM
I just read that the Lopez greens had been aerated in early May, so that was plenty of time for them to heal. They were just not very good. If I get ambitious I'll give the golf office a call and see what's going on.

Bogie Shooter
06-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Maybe TV courses are just getting the jump on the recommendation of Jim Hyler, President of USGA. .............Hyler doesn’t want a perfect-looking, wall-to-wall green golf course to host the national championship. He wants dry, firm and fast playing conditions that he hopes will trickle down and take hold at golf facilities around the country.......... (speaking about the US Open)
See the full article here http://linksmagazine.com/best_of_golf/a_simpler_game/jim_hyler_usga.aspx

spk7951
06-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Have to agree about Lopez. Played Erinn to Ashley yesterday afternoon and the overall conditions were just horrible. Green on hole #1 of Erinn really looks diseased. Probably the worst condition I have ever seen a golf course. Our group was discussing how it might be best to close this course for a few weeks to see if they can restore it.

Did talk to an ambassador today who stated he felt the greens on Cane were the best in TV right now.

Taj44
06-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I agree. We've been playing at Cane quite a bit, and its been the nicest its ever been.

I don't understand why Lopez is doing so poorly. They aerated/plugged the greens close to 6 weeks ago - plenty of time to heal. And the fairways were no great shakes either. Lots of areas in the middle of the fairways with no grass, and your ball would be like in a little hole.

zcaveman
06-11-2010, 07:25 PM
From mid-May until the end of June all TV courses are a crap shoot. They are either needing aeration, being aerated or suffering the after effects of aeration.

Then we have three months of good playing time until the birds come back and clog up the courses.

schotzyb
06-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Played Orange Blossom yesterday and it was in terrific shape tees, fairways and greens.Even letting the rough grow a little.
Played Hacienda Hills today and it was in terrible shape, tees, fairways and greens all bad. Gonna take it a while to recover.

Taj44
06-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Played Orange Blossom yesterday and it was in terrific shape tees, fairways and greens.Even letting the rough grow a little.
Played Hacienda Hills today and it was in terrible shape, tees, fairways and greens all bad. Gonna take it a while to recover.

We played OB last week and it was super - really nice. But I heard they are going to be aerating it, so we'll be out of luck for awhile.

Thanks for the heads up about Hacienda. Does anyone know what sort of shape Tierra is in???

chuckster
06-12-2010, 06:48 AM
golfthevillages.com has the aeration schedules available. Looks like OBH was aerated May 5, Tierra May 19th and Hacienda June 4th. What Z says makes sense not only in the villages but several local courses we've played, harbor Hills, Stonecrest (really bad), World Woods, Sherman Hills and others. They will all improve with time and water from nature. Doubt there are any "pristine" courses at this time of year that are open to the public and/or affordable (under 100.00)

Taj44
06-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't think Lopez is suffering from the effects of aeration. Looks like disease. It was aerified in early May - plenty of time for it to have healed up.

We played Mission Inn near Howie-in-the Hills a couple of weeks ago. It was in fabulous shape, and it cost us $39.99 +tax. In high season, though, that course would not be affordable. There are a lot of nice courses in the area to play, with good summer rates, you just have to check ahead of time to get a handle on conditions.

I checked with OB and apparently they won't be aerating it again until July, so we will have that course to enjoy. The last time I played it, it was very, very nice.

Pturner
06-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I still think it is a good idea to report, and inquire about the reasons for, poor golf course conditions.

This is our community and we all have a hand in keeping it nice. We should let management and our district gov. reps know when our expectations are not met. Several calls and emails about the same issue often will make a difference. I think this is much more effective when done diplomatically.

Unfortunately, I am not in TV currently. I hope those who are and who see problems with poor golf course conditions (and possible course disease) will report them and seek answers.

It might be someone else's responsibility, but it's ours too!

schotzyb
06-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I still think it is a good idea to report, and inquire about the reasons for, poor golf course conditions.

This is our community and we all have a hand in keeping it nice. We should let management and our district gov. reps know when our expectations are not met. Several calls and emails about the same issue often will make a difference. I think this is much more effective when done diplomatically.

Unfortunately, I am not in TV currently. I hope those who are and who see problems with poor golf course conditions (and possible course disease) will report them and seek answers.

I too think it is a good idea to post your findings on our Villages golf courses conditions. If it helps an individual or group decide which course they decide to play then it was a worthwhile effort.
I am just guessing here but I assume Orange Blossom's maint. budget is the smallest of all;one reason being that it is only 18 holes and also the oldest but how can it be with it;s limited budget be in the shape it is in and other courses like Lopez and Hacienda be in the terrible shape they are in?

Pturner
06-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Just searched an older thread to see whom to contact. Credit to Beartrack on the previous thread for locating this contact info. He wrote:
I as given this number to call: 753-3396 and ask for Mr. Basso, who is the Golf Operations Manager for the Villages. He works closely with each individual golf course facility manager.

Taj44
06-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Yes, that is the correct person and phone number. I have called him in the past, and he is very professional as far as answering questions regarding conditions/maintenance, and I feel he has been truthful regarding certain maintenance issues and problems. I don't like to be the only one calling him, so if you have concerns, I urge you to give him a ring directly. I think it would be more effective if he hears our concerns from a variety of Villagers rather than just one person. He is very nice to talk to, so its easy. Thanks.
P.S. As far as maintenance budgets, I heard, but don't know if it is true, that the budge for a particular course is based on the course square footage, so OB and Tierra theoretically would get less money because they're only 18 as opposed to 27 holes.

Bubbahawk
06-13-2010, 06:02 AM
It's called transition, Overseed out - Bermuda in. Do not forget about the record cold winter we had because it is still affecting the golf courses with the tough transition they are going through.