PDA

View Full Version : 13 yr old issued citation

spk7951
07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
In case you had not seen it there was a story in the Sunday Daily Sun about a 13 year old girl who was issued a citation for operating a golf cart. Apparently she suffered minor injuries when she fell out of the cart. It seems as our community grows that I see more and more of this type of problem. Just yesterday we had a youngster driving a golf cart around the neighborhood with his Dad. The child appeared to be about ten. Not sure what folks are thinking when they allow this. I am curious though if an adult allowed this young girl to take this golf cart then why is the adult not held accountable also?

dillywho
07-05-2010, 09:50 AM
It's just too bad that they have not issued more citations for kids driving the carts before one of them got hurt. How many more will it take? The outcome could have been so much worse for this child. There's plenty to do with (keyword being with) the kids without indulging them in hazardous behavior.

villages07
07-05-2010, 10:06 AM
It amazes me that a 13 year old was driving the golf cart by herself in wet/rainy conditions.

My own policy is that anyone over 14 is who is not a licensed driver must have an adult/licensed driver with them before I will let them drive the golf cart. One really must know the rules of the road and be able to make decisions on speed/distance to operate a golf cart.

pooh
07-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I read a while ago that if an underage golf cart driver is cited, notification is sent to the DMV in her home state and the age when one can get a driver's licenses could be changed. Also the owner of the cart could be cited. I'm still trying to find the specific law. Here's something from Style Magazine citing points against future drivers in their home state.... http://www.ocalastyle.com/styleadmin/newsadmin/templates/lake-template.asp?articleid=1958&zoneid=40 ( Underage drivers who are pulled over will find points against them when they eventually apply for driver licenses in their home states.)

Fortunately the youngster wasn't badly hurt, but the accident could have resulted in a much different outcome.

redwitch
07-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Well, I'm willing to bet when this young lady hits 15.5 and tries to get her learner's permit she's going to think this minor accident is major. Most states won't let you get a learner's permit or driver's license before age 18 if you've been cited for a traffic violation (includes not stopping at a stop sign on a bicycle) before age 16. Awful expensive result for a kid whose parents and grandparents felt like indulging this girl.

For those who are curious, according to a Sheriff I talked to, kids under 14 caught driving a cart are issued a temporary license (with picture taken by the citing officer), then ticketed. The ticket is then forwarded to the child's home state. And, yes, they will issue a ticket for a 4 YO on grandpa's lap as much as for a 13 YO.

I've found if you tell a kid what could happen (especially if around 12 or 13), they quickly jump into the passenger seat -- much more so than if you tell the grandparents. I don't understand why anyone would be willing to put their children and grandchildren at such risk -- golf carts are moving vehicles and have to share the road with vehicles thousands of pounds heavier. Just makes no sense to me.

thistrucksforyou
07-05-2010, 04:30 PM
It,s just my opinion ,but how many of use learned to drive at a very early age ....We started out driving the lawn tractor , or if you lived on a farm you drove the pick up or farm tractor, even heavy equipment , because you had to. I don't think age is the problem, it;s experiance...For example, Trucking schools train truck drivers only to help them retreave a CDL A liceanse. The trucking comnpany that hires them train them to drive with another driver...The training period is only required to be 3 weeks....There is no public out cry of an inexperianced truck driver driving equipment at 65 mph down a public highway weighing as much as 80,000 lbs. A 13 year old on a golf cart with proper supervision doesn,t bother me. Just my thoughts..

duffysmom
07-05-2010, 05:20 PM
It,s just my opinion ,but how many of use learned to drive at a very early age ....We started out driving the lawn tractor , or if you lived on a farm you drove the pick up or farm tractor, even heavy equipment , because you had to. I don't think age is the problem, it;s experiance...For example, Trucking schools train truck drivers only to help them retreave a CDL A liceanse. The trucking comnpany that hires them train them to drive with another driver...The training period is only required to be 3 weeks....There is no public out cry of an inexperianced truck driver driving equipment at 65 mph down a public highway weighing as much as 80,000 lbs. A 13 year old on a golf cart with proper supervision doesn,t bother me. Just my thoughts..

If by chance that 13 year old is in an accident with a pedestrian or cart/car, the owner could lose everything they worked for as well as the life of the child. In my opinion it is an accident waiting to happen since there have been so many close calls. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

lavendera1
07-05-2010, 07:07 PM
And what about the kids that are packing in three or more people into seats meant for two. They are all so busy smoking or putting graffiti on the golf cart bridge.

K9-Lovers
07-05-2010, 07:25 PM
My concern with an underage child driving is their capacity for decision making. Even if they are trained well, and even if they do not drive poorly, a time will come when they must make quick decisions whether it be defensive driving, or to resist some sort of temptation. An underage person doesn't have enough life experience to always make good decisions. And, until you mature, you think nothing can hurt you -- you feel invulnerable.

pooh
07-05-2010, 07:26 PM

Learning to drive in an area where one can't cause bodily injury to another isn't quite the same as driving a golf cart in The Villages, in my estimation. Adults driving carts around here most likely have driver's licenses and have some experience driving a vehicle. With youngsters, the cart could be likened to a ride at an amusement park....and that can put them and others in danger.

kaydee
07-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Well said Pooh.....couldn't agree with your comment more. Another sad situation where the golf cart owner obviously feels they are above the law. Law states that one must be 14 not 13 and that cart owner put that 13 yr old in jeopardy and is now also responsible for that child being penalized when she does apply for her permit/license. WAKE UP GRANDMA & GRANDPA....IT'S OK TO SAY NO TO THE YOUNGSTERS!!!!

Bryan
07-07-2010, 05:42 AM
I think Redwitch and Keydee are both on the right track BUT neither they nor law enforcement went far enough down that track.

Yes, you wonder what the grandparents (or parents) were thinking when they let the underage child drive a golf cart by herself (or himself). Yes, the child deserves a traffic ticket and all the accompanying trouble.

Isn't there such a law as "Child Endangerment"? Why aren't the owners of the golf cart who allowed (I am presuming she drove with permission and did not steal the golf cart) the underage driver to drive the cart by herself cited for Child Endangerment? Isn't this also a violation of the law? That would work very well for me and give those who should know better a wake up call.

JUREK
07-07-2010, 06:17 AM
I think Redwitch and Keydee are both on the right track BUT neither they nor law enforcement went far enough down that track.

Yes, you wonder what the grandparents (or parents) were thinking when they let the underage child drive a golf cart by herself (or himself). Yes, the child deserves a traffic ticket and all the accompanying trouble.

Isn't there such a law as "Child Endangerment"? Why aren't the owners of the golf cart who allowed (I am presuming she drove with permission and did not steal the golf cart) the underage driver to drive the cart by herself cited for Child Endangerment? Isn't this also a violation of the law? That would work very well for me and give those who should know better a wake up call.

Bryan: I must agree with you. My BIG complaint is with the parents or grandparents. These are the people that deserve to get the BIG fine.
What the hell are they thinking?
Too many times I have seen kids in danger hanging on the cart with one hand and the mature adults are oblivious.

dillywho
07-07-2010, 06:19 AM

Good question, Bryan. Adults are charged with this law for much lesser offenses. As many as are letting underage kids drive the carts with or without them, something needs to get the parents/grandparents attention and that just might do the trick. There are much worse things than saying, "no"....like getting hurt or killed.

redwitch
07-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Honestly, I've never understood parents/grandparents who can't say no. They existed when I was a kid; they exist today; and, I presume, they existed in previous generations. There's no question that allowing a young child is in fact child endangerment but I doubt any police officer is going to make that charge. That doesn't mean child services isn't looking into the incident -- something we'll never know.

I can only imagine the guilt the grandparents of this 13 YO girl are feeling. Their beloved granddaughter not only was cited, but she was run over by their cart, which they allowed her to drive. They must be truly heartsick.

That being said, let's hope that another grandparent will think twice before letting their grandchild drive the golf cart around the block or wherever. I truly pray that this incident does wake up others.

In the meantime, when you see a grandchild being allowed to break the law on a golf cart, do you try to talk to the grandparents about what is going on? If not, aren't you complicit in the crime? Sometimes, the parents and grandparents really don't know they're allowing a law to be broken and appreciate the ino. If possible, I do talk to the grandparents -- not in a confrontational way, but simply to let them know the law and what will happen to their grandchild if caught. If the child appears to be over 11, I explain they may be risking the privilege of driving at 16. That seems to get the kids hopping into the passenger side in a heartbeat.

F16 1UB
07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm leaving Sweet Bay heading out of lot in cart. Young girl in front of me driving what appeared to be G/Parents in 4 seater. Girl appeared to have trouble reaching the pedals. As they went down the hill thru the tunnel and turned right to go back up the hill she hit the curb as I watched granny about get bounced off the back. Definitely should not have been behind the wheel. Yeah I've hit the curb too but I'm allowed. Safety 2nd, stupidity 1st. Come on folks.

Nana18
07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree with what is being said regarding golf cart safety - it also applies to the adults because I have been cut off numerous times by golf carts that exceed the speed limit of a golf cart. We have a motorcycle and have been cut off more times than I can count by golf carts and when my husband blows the airhorns we get saluted - if you know what I mean. I too have seen very little people sitting in their grandparents lap driving the cart. Golf cart safety is becoming an issue here and I do not think it will change because of the number of carts that are now here in The Villages. Also, the drinking and driving of the carts in the town squares is out of control.