PDA

View Full Version : Floor tile

Rag Bagger
07-05-2010, 09:52 AM
I am planning to install floor tile on the lanai next month. I would like to run the tile diagonal. The floor has saw cuts that are designed to allow the concrete to break on the cut and not in the middle of the floor. My concern is that my tiles will cross this gap and in the future may break along this designed cut line.

I found a product that is like a pad but is very dense plastic that is to be laid down first then the tile set over that. As I understand minor cracking will be absorbed by the underlayment.

Has anyone done this?

chacam
07-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I installed tile on our lanai just using thinset. The lanai wasn't a brand new pour but a few years old. I figured that if it was going to crack, it would have done so already. No problems yet. The lanai was open and I did drill a few holes down through the grout over the saw cuts to allow water to drain, then the following year, we enclosed it with sliding acrylic windows. Good luck.

mulligan
07-05-2010, 10:52 AM
rag ******, the material you refer to is a bond breaker. It is designed to allow the concrete to move without affecting the tile. You have the correct application.

Rag Bagger
07-05-2010, 11:09 AM
rag ******, the material you refer to is a bond breaker. It is designed to allow the concrete to move without affecting the tile. You have the correct application.

Thanks Mulligan, was looking for someone who was familiar with the material. One more question though. It will be exposed to rain showers. I do intend to provide drain holes or cuts in the screen lani frame to eliminate pooling water. Do you think that would be an issue?

I actually talked to a tile setter a year ago who said that a vinyl floor that was in good shape was a good base for tile. I think he was talking indoor only. That suprised me but it sounds like bond breaker may accomplish about the same thing.

ijusluvit
07-05-2010, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Rag ******;273240]Thanks Mulligan, was looking for someone who was familiar with the material. One more question though. It will be exposed to rain showers. I do intend to provide drain holes or cuts in the screen lani frame to eliminate pooling water. Do you think that would be an issue?

It very well could be. And if so, it could be a major problem. Even non-slip tile can be slippery where water pools. Start with the concrete. If it pools anywhere, you should pour a thin mortar mix into the low spots. Then take care when laying the tile that you spread the thinset evenly and apply equal pressure when laying each piece. Unfortunately, it's rather an art to lay tile without any water pooling on a level surface. When I did an outdoor area I started with a higher center area and sloped the surface to the sides. It's a slower process because each tile had to be laid and leveled. As a non-professional tile setter it was my solution, and it worked!

Rag Bagger
07-05-2010, 01:26 PM
have a place that water actually pools. What I was talking about is that in the corners of the lanai the aluminum frame that holds the screen work creates a dam and holds water. I will drill weep holes for that. There really won't be pooling, I miss-stated that. But the tile will get wet in the corners. Right now that drains away fairly fast even without weep holes. I was just concerned about tile getting wet particularly with the bond breaker membrane under it. I think it would be OK. I would like to know of anybody that may have used bond breaker, was it good for an outdoor install.

Thank all, I love this thread good info for sure.

mulligan
07-05-2010, 01:52 PM
If you use thinset, not an adhesive product, it will not be affected by water. Also, when you drill the weep holes, drill them at the grout joints on the inside, and at the slab level on the outside. This will help to prevent mold from forming inside the bottom channel'

ijusluvit
07-05-2010, 04:12 PM
If you use thinset, not an adhesive product, it will not be affected by water. Also, when you drill the weep holes, drill them at the grout joints on the inside, and at the slab level on the outside. This will help to prevent mold from forming inside the bottom channel'

Ah. The voice of experience. Priceless.