PDA

View Full Version : Israel trip

rjn5656
01-31-2020, 06:02 AM
My wife will be on a trip to Israel. What time of money should she take? Any other suggestions?

Chatbrat
01-31-2020, 06:27 AM
when we travel, we never use cash--this way we are protected -from theft, accident & unforeseen circumstances--you can always get cash from an ATM-due to our circumstances--we never pay any ATM fees @ any ATM machine, world wide

tuccillo
01-31-2020, 06:53 AM
If possible, also go to Jordan to see Petra. Masada is a must see. We brought a couple of hundred dollars worth of shekels with us.

If she is on a tour, she should be receiving advice on what to bring. If she is doing the planning herself, there are many sources of information as to what to bring and where to go.

My wife will be on a trip to Israel. What time of money should she take? Any other suggestions?

rjn5656
01-31-2020, 08:02 AM
Why Petra? We have got conflicting advice, some say go, some say not worth it.

tuccillo
01-31-2020, 08:17 AM
The place is stunning. However, you will have a pretty good hike so how is your mobility?

NotGolfer
01-31-2020, 08:20 AM
I went with a group a few years ago. We were told to bring about $200.00 in one dollar bills for tips etc. IF you're with a tour, you will be on a bus and you will be tipping the driver and guide. Also for water, coffee etc. IF you're not going with a group, maybe you could call a travel agency and ask them the questions you have. If you're traveling over on your own you could pick up a tour group once there---we've known friends who have done that and it's a bit cheaper. Take a light jacket too as the evenings can be chilly (it's more of a desert area) and wear really comfortable walking shoes. I took a hat and wore it every day. Also a travel purse of some kind is a good idea. I was told to bring gallon size zip lock bags. We got two meals a day---breakfast and dinner. The meals are served buffet style and it was suggested you could pick up some items at breakfast to take along for lunch.

manaboutown
01-31-2020, 12:37 PM
It has been awhile but when I went on a tour to Egypt, Israel and Jordan Euros were accepted with no problem but they did not want US dollars. Maybe that has changed. Petra is definitely worth visiting IMHO!

Dave2000
02-01-2020, 07:39 AM
Lots of it.

danbryan
02-01-2020, 08:07 AM

Use a credit card but U.S. dollars are good almost everywhere inIsrael. We were there a few months ago

ffresh
02-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Use a credit card but U.S. dollars are good almost everywhere inIsrael. We were there a few months ago

preferably one that doesn't charge "foreign transaction fees", many cards do

HIgolfers
02-01-2020, 09:01 AM
We were in Egypt in 2018 and dollars were widely accepted, at times preferred.

Reesie
02-01-2020, 10:44 AM
Petra.....YES!!!! So beautiful!! I took a couple hundred with me, ended up needing more. Credit card...yes. I used an ATM, no problem, but did have to pay the fee.

NJSonja
02-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Petra is a must see....

pprentice
02-01-2020, 11:09 AM
A valid debit card and US dollars are fine.

Robinsjj
02-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Petra was amazing and well worth the trip...have to cross the border, that is interesting in itself...gives you a real feel for true border control...but again Petra was amazing!!

Jbbest
02-01-2020, 03:09 PM
My wife will be on a trip to Israel. What time of money should she take? Any other suggestions? We got sheckels (sp) before we left at Bank of America. You can request them online or go to the bank- there may be a minimum amount. We didn't need them - used our credit card which doesn't charge for foreign transactions, so we spent them when we caught taxis.

jenistaf
02-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Don't use the credit card you also use for monthly charges, major purchases, etc. Take one (better yet two) that you rarely use, so that if the card gets hacked you aren't faced with a real hassle back home.

jenistaf
02-01-2020, 10:38 PM
Remember to call the card company in advance, to let them know your travel plans - dates and countries you will be using the card

E Cascade
02-02-2020, 09:14 AM
If you go to Petra (Jordan), you need to go there before entering Israel. I have been told that Jordan will not let you enter if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport. I do not know if this is true, but it is what I have been told. Here is another point I know from personal experience......if you go with a group, get an individual visa to enter each country or you may have trouble when trying to exit if for some reason you are separated from the group .....like if you get sick and end up in a hospital or if you are separating from the group to travel to another country, exiting at a different time, to maybe see something extra somewhere before coming home. Pay the extra for your own entry visa (like to enter Jordan) Also when getting ready to exit Jordan have the exact exit fee in Jordanian cash before you get to the exit point, and behave and don't be mouthy, just follow what they do if exiting over the Allenby Bridge to enter Israel from Jordan. Also try to exit there any day other than Sat as the last exit time is noon to leave by bus. If you'd like more info you can contact me off line. Israel and Jordan are wonderful places and you will read your Bible differently after your trip. Also travel other than rainy season.

Curtisbwp
02-02-2020, 02:33 PM
When my wife and I travel we DO NOT bring much cash. Use your debit card when you arrive. The atm will convert the currency at the best rate.

tuccillo
02-02-2020, 05:32 PM
That is not true.

If you go to Petra (Jordan), you need to go there before entering Israel. I have been told that Jordan will not let you enter if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport. I do not know if this is true, but it is what I have been told. Here is another point I know from personal experience......if you go with a group, get an individual visa to enter each country or you may have trouble when trying to exit if for some reason you are separated from the group .....like if you get sick and end up in a hospital or if you are separating from the group to travel to another country, exiting at a different time, to maybe see something extra somewhere before coming home. Pay the extra for your own entry visa (like to enter Jordan) Also when getting ready to exit Jordan have the exact exit fee in Jordanian cash before you get to the exit point, and behave and don't be mouthy, just follow what they do if exiting over the Allenby Bridge to enter Israel from Jordan. Also try to exit there any day other than Sat as the last exit time is noon to leave by bus. If you'd like more info you can contact me off line. Israel and Jordan are wonderful places and you will read your Bible differently after your trip. Also travel other than rainy season.

manaboutown
02-02-2020, 05:50 PM
To see Petra I entered Jordan from Israel with a group tour. When they saw us coming the Jordanian border guards shut the entry down for a couple hours to make us wait then only used one guy to check us in one at a time while four or five others stood around smirking. IMHO they were being difficult and a pain just because they could. It cost us over two hours time on a day trip to Petra. BTW the Jordanian and Egyptian police are not there to serve and protect, again IMHO.

Masada and the Dead Sea are definitely worth visiting!