02-19-2020, 07:05 PM
Played Mallory today..
Terrible condition.
Greens were packed mud.
They should shut the place down.
All for a priority price of $47.

Two Bills
02-19-2020, 07:42 PM
Played Redfish Run Ex. today. Greens pretty good.
Golf game was c**p, but putting was very good!
Wife slaughtered me.
Having Chicken en crout for dinner tonight.

kcrazorbackfan
02-19-2020, 07:56 PM
Played Mallory today.. Good for you.
Terrible condition. Don't think so, played there this week.
Greens were packed mud. See above.
They should shut the place down. Don't think so.
All for a priority price of $47. Then play elsewhere, pay their green fees, pay the gas and figure in the expense on your vehicle.

alwann
02-19-2020, 08:27 PM
Played Mallory today..
Terrible condition.
Greens were packed mud.

Which nines? I'm playing Caroline Thursday, which I hate because it is an evil course. Am I going to hate it more now because of conditions?

waynet
02-20-2020, 07:45 AM
I do not understand how some of you can defend the at times terrible conditions of these courses. Are you so afraid of criticism of your holy place? The fact is not to have to go to other places, it is to get these courses playable. We do pay money for them they are not free. They make a great amount of money off of these courses paid by us. They should be better. Maybe you like to be taken advantage of Not me. Yes we are going off campus a little more not that it will make any difference to owners. As long as people continue to defend these mediocre tracks nothing will change. Ask any 100 golfers if they would travel 1/2 hour to play these courses and yuo can guess the answer. Convenience plain and simple, that's what they sell. Not price, not conditions. They have a captive audience . Finally as for expense, the Villages golf is no longer a bargain. Many golf courses in area little cheaper and far better conditions. Luckily for Villages Julliette Falls isn't a 1/2 hour closer or none of my groups would play here. Some of you are satisfied to be ripped off some of us get upset. I guess my expectations are a little higher than yours

dewilson58
02-20-2020, 09:38 AM
I do not understand how some of you can defend the at times terrible conditions of these courses.

Not a single post on this thread defending conditions.

:shrug:

Two Bills
02-20-2020, 09:53 AM
Funny, but most of the complaining I here as I play different exec. courses, are from those who are having a bad round, and are looking for an excuse.
Played Walnut Grove, which is in very good nick, with a chap a few weeks ago who was having a nighmare round, and every bad shot was the fault of the course.
Even his tees were wrong material!
Having said that, the trio of courses at Pimlico still need some work.
Most other Execs are have improved greatly from last year, when in my opinion they were not good at all.
JMO.

Love2Swim
02-20-2020, 04:02 PM
I do not understand how some of you can defend the at times terrible conditions of these courses. Are you so afraid of criticism of your holy place? The fact is not to have to go to other places, it is to get these courses playable. We do pay money for them they are not free. They make a great amount of money off of these courses paid by us. They should be better. Maybe you like to be taken advantage of Not me. Yes we are going off campus a little more not that it will make any difference to owners. As long as people continue to defend these mediocre tracks nothing will change. Ask any 100 golfers if they would travel 1/2 hour to play these courses and yuo can guess the answer. Convenience plain and simple, that's what they sell. Not price, not conditions. They have a captive audience . Finally as for expense, the Villages golf is no longer a bargain. Many golf courses in area little cheaper and far better conditions. Luckily for Villages Julliette Falls isn't a 1/2 hour closer or none of my groups would play here. Some of you are satisfied to be ripped off some of us get upset. I guess my expectations are a little higher than yours

Thank you, a commonsense post. For the life of me I cannot figure out why people are so accepting of poor golf conditions on The Villages. To be honest what I think is many people are not really accepting of the poor golf conditions but they don’t want to travel to play golf at better golf courses even though it may be cheaper. And the villages knows they have a captive crowd so they do what they can get away with. And it’s pretty clear to me that there are people posting on talk of the villages that are aligned with the villages in someway so the responses can be skewed in favor of TV.

ctmurray
02-20-2020, 04:11 PM
I played yesterday, I wish I had known. Had a visitor from up north, we paid full rate for terrible greens. They should have given a discount or not charged. Is there anywhere we can quickly look up the course conditions in the future?

dewilson58
02-20-2020, 04:24 PM
Thank you, a commonsense post. For the life of me I cannot figure out why people are so accepting of poor golf conditions on The Villages. To be honest what I think is many people are not really excepting of the poor golf conditions but they don’t want to travel to play golf at batter golf course is even though it may be cheaper. And the villages knows they have a captive ideas so they do what they can get away with. And it’s pretty clear to me that there are people posting on talk of the villages that are aligned with the villages in someway so the responses can be skewed in favor of TV.

When a course condition goes down hill (which all courses do), people aren't accepting of the poor conditions................they are understanding. Big difference between the two types of individuals.

I'm not sure if anyone likes when a course is not in happy condition. But continually whining about it on a public voice board does not good.

It's the same people coming on ToTV and whining about: Dog Poop, Golf Conditions, Reserved Seating, Bridges to No Where, Sinking Bridges, NW of the Developer, The Good Old Days, Food Quality, etc.

It's a choice on how you want to live your life, with a coffee cup 1/2 full or 1/2 empty.

A choice. I choose to enjoy.

alwann
02-20-2020, 05:11 PM
:confused: Call Sheriff Farmer if someone is forcing you to play it. :1rotfl: Hell, I think we have posters that would pay extra if you guaranteed them the conditions would be bad and they could complain. :icon_wink:

Played it and hated it more. Bad, bald greens. Thin fairways. Okay, to be positive, the bathrooms were nice and clean. Although, one of them had a waste can with a sign on it that said "No animal feces." Didn't say when they would re-stock. :a040:

Love2Swim
02-21-2020, 05:40 AM
When a course condition goes down hill (which all courses do), people aren't accepting of the poor conditions................they are understanding. Big difference between the two types of individuals.

I'm not sure if anyone likes when a course is not in happy condition. But continually whining about it on a public voice board does not good.

It's the same people coming on ToTV and whining about: Dog Poop, Golf Conditions, Reserved Seating, Bridges to No Where, Sinking Bridges, NW of the Developer, The Good Old Days, Food Quality, etc.

It's a choice on how you want to live your life, with a coffee cup 1/2 full or 1/2 empty.

And I choose to resist and fight for change if I deem it to be in my best interest. That means posting public messages on a villages blog, it means sending letters and emails to John Rohan. And it means educating newcomers and people who are thinking of becoming villagers, so they will know what they are getting into. We have the money and resources in this community to have a lot better golf conditions than what we have. Some of us have taken off the rose colored glasses and are not brainwashed by the developer. And for the record I’ve never “whined““ about dog poop.

maggie1
02-21-2020, 05:50 AM
Now that is hilarious!

maggie1
02-21-2020, 05:53 AM
Restock - Now that is hilarious!

Love2Swim
02-21-2020, 06:23 AM
Funny, but most of the complaining I here as I play different exec. courses, are from those who are having a bad round, and are looking for an excuse.
Played Walnut Grove, which is in very good nick, with a chap a few weeks ago who was having a nighmare round, and every bad shot was the fault of the course.
Most other Execs are have improved greatly from last year, when in my opinion they were not good at all.
JMO. The OP was opining about Mallory golf course. It is not free like the executive courses.

dewilson58
02-21-2020, 06:46 AM
And I choose to resist and fight for change if I deem it to be in my best interest. That means posting public messages on a villages blog, it means sending letters and emails to John Rohan. And it means educating newcomers and people who are thinking of becoming villagers, so they will know what they are getting into. We have the money and resources in this community to have a lot better golf conditions than what we have. Some of us have taken off the rose colored glasses and are not brainwashed by the developer. And for the record I’ve never “whined““ about dog poop.

You're funny.

=> Timers on this site see comments for what they are and from who writes them.
(objective, balanced postings are heard)

=> Exaggerated negativity just wake-up sleeping giants (a/k/a the vast majority) and creates positive comments.
(without, a lot of sleepers would not even post)

=> If a newbie is "being educated", they are smart enough to read all posts and determine the majority vs. Debbie Downers.

=> Rose colored & brainwashed???................I always love these old stale comments. I never have heard how the developers brainwashed villages. How did they??

I need to go finish my 1/2 full cup of coffee.

Have a Great Day............Life is Good.

Bethwill
02-21-2020, 07:20 AM
Not only are the courses in bad shape, but you can't even get waited on in a half full country club, after golf. They don't have enough wait staff to seat you.

gcanonge
02-21-2020, 07:36 AM
I played Mallory - Amelia yesterday and the course should have been closed. The greens were that bad. It is a shame to pay that kind of money for those conditions!

HerbJ
02-21-2020, 07:59 AM
Shut it down. We’re being ripped off. Guests $69 and $74. They won’t be back.

anothersteve
02-21-2020, 08:20 AM
Steve

waynet
02-21-2020, 08:44 AM
Mr Wilson you seem to be in the minority even with the smart remarks. Bottom line, you nor anyone else can defend the deplorable conditions of some of these courses. For those who care Tierra is in good condition. Worth the money. Off to a real golf course Sunday, Juliette Falls.

dewilson58
02-21-2020, 08:48 AM
Mr Wilson you seem to be in the minority even with the smart remarks. Bottom line, you nor anyone else can defend the deplorable conditions of some of these courses. For those who care Tierra is in good condition. Worth the money. Off to a real golf course Sunday, Juliette Falls.

If a course is in deplorable condition.......I'm not defending. However, the sky is not falling as some posters portray. If the conditions are not good, they will improve and I'm optimistic.

Love you.

dewilson58
02-21-2020, 08:54 AM

Just went back and looked.......I made not comment defending deplorable conditions.

Have a nice day.

Waltdisney4life
02-21-2020, 09:12 AM
Caroline greens are terrible, I played there Wednesday Virginia greens were better.

TheWarriors
02-21-2020, 09:18 AM
Perhaps the conditions are due to too many golfers and not enough recuperation time for the courses. Let’s limit all golf to one round per week per Villager until the courses improve. After all, let’s do it for the Courses, I mean the children, haha.

dewilson58
02-21-2020, 09:31 AM
Perhaps the conditions are due to too many golfers and not enough recuperation time for the courses.

That is a significant issue............rounds of play. This is why surrounding courses are easier to maintain.

This should fire-up the debbie downers.

:popcorn:

Mjsmithx
02-21-2020, 09:41 AM
My husband played Mallory twice this week, Amelia's greens were the worst, Virginia's the best of the three. According to the people working in the club house, they sprayed the greens with something to kill the weeds and and it wound up killing the grass. They have offered to give you a raincheck if you start playing and decide to quit before the 5th hole due to green conditions.

ctmurray
02-21-2020, 10:03 AM

Actually complaining does often lead to improvements, if you can find the correct person. I was looking for advice to where I might find a report on the conditions, so I could avoid playing at a course so poorly maintained.

Your assumption that all courses decline in quality is not correct. I have played courses over 30 years that stayed in the same shape as when I started.

Even in the Villages the majority of courses are adequately maintained. Something spectacular went wrong at Mallory. I am sure the greens keeping staff know this, but voicing a complaint might get them to understand people will stop playing at Mallory due to this issue.

And the Developer owns the courses. He controls them. The other items you mentioned that people "whine" about are not in his control. But this problem is squarely within his ability to fix.

ctmurray
02-21-2020, 10:07 AM
My husband played Mallory twice this week, Amelia's greens were the worst, Virginia's the best of the three. According to the people working in the club house, they sprayed the greens with something to kill the weeds and and it wound up killing the grass. They have offered to give you a raincheck if you start playing and decide to quit before the 5th hole due to green conditions.

I did not think of this, my bad. I think the staff could have given us this advice when we checked in. But maybe some source I could have checked before signing up for the round would be nice.

dewilson58
02-21-2020, 11:52 AM
Actually complaining does often lead to improvements, if you can find the correct person. I was looking for advice to where I might find a report on the conditions, so I could avoid playing at a course so poorly maintained.

Your assumption that all courses decline in quality is not correct. I have played courses over 30 years that stayed in the same shape as when I started.

The right person is not on ToTV............that's was is crazy about all the complaining on this site. You are right, find the right person.

I have you beat, I've been golfing for over 40 years. Private clubs, public courses, Augusta, California biggies, Kohler, Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Texas.......I'll quit bragging, sorry. I've seen the best of the best go thru bad times. But I've never seen any of these courses get the volume of play & year-round that our course do. The traffic is crazy.

Hope you find the right person.

:coolsmiley:

OhioBuckeye
02-21-2020, 12:06 PM
Played Mallory today..
Terrible condition.
Greens were packed mud.

The same question was asked last week about another course. Remember there’s probably 40 to 50,000 more people there in the winter & tee times are probably 10 mins. apart all day. We never had this problem in the summer even though it was unbearably hot sometimes & the courses don’t get trampled to death. All the years we lived there we heard the same complaints. If you don’t like the conditions, you might have to go outside the bubble & pay $100+. Not trying to be a wise guy but you better be a full time resident. Yes, the fees are a little ridiculous! Better play the Executive courses at least they’re FREE. Sorry your not happy!

graciegirl
02-21-2020, 02:21 PM
JMO.

Lot of truth in what you say. My husband is a very good golfer and also a calm and positive person. He always has a good time. Everybody that day is playing the course as it lies.

dewilson58
02-21-2020, 02:31 PM
Lot of truth in what you say. My husband is a very good golfer and also a calm and positive person. He always has a good time. Everybody that day is playing the course as it lies.

I'm a very good golfer, but I have lots of issues.

:a040:

kcrazorbackfan
02-21-2020, 08:22 PM

Bravo! Well said!

Some people want to complain about everything here but they don’t want to take the time to contact the correct people to complain to.

Most just want to read over and over what they complain about.

gcanonge
02-24-2020, 07:18 AM
Great answer. Let's no FIX the problem!

graciegirl
02-24-2020, 07:56 AM
Great answer. Let's no FIX the problem!

Those who are so annoyed they don't play the course and waste their money and are keeping their feet and wheels off the problem.

I see that as a solution. Or at least heading the right way.

This is the end of February in the high season and we have a lot of people tromping around on the courses.

stan the man
02-24-2020, 08:42 AM
I'm a very good golfer, but I have lots of issues.

:a040:

Why not have a match and I will play the winner

dewilson58
02-24-2020, 09:31 AM
Why not have a match and I will play the winner

Sweetie & I are already winners.

:clap2:

waynet
02-24-2020, 06:34 PM
Amelia closed....greens not playable. Must be all those snowbirds driving their carts on the greens. Oh wait. Lets start hearing the excuses. It could not be ignorance, laziness, lack of caring or maybe they are just plain cheap and suck as much money from us as they can. Some say millions in profits from us. Just a shame

Velvet
02-24-2020, 06:54 PM
This is about the Mallory course, I watched a golf cart enter the course from what look like the street and go on the cart path of the course. It was around 5:00 pm today and I didn’t see anyone playing on this section of the course. The cart just cruised around on the path.

I was thinking I’m so careful to stay off the course even to paint it, but this cart just entered it.

Challenger
02-24-2020, 07:01 PM
There are a load of courses within 25 min drive of TV, most of which are in far better conditions that the "CCs" here. Played 3 in the last 2 weeks and all were under $50 including carts. Greens on both kinds of courses here are in serious trouble with a few exceptions.

tophcfa
02-24-2020, 10:53 PM
Played Lopez today, Ashley to Tori, awesome conditions. The greens were pure and fast. Second best greens in the Villages’s next to Tierra Del Sol. Played Evans Prairie yesterday and very good and a Palmer the day before and also very good. Played Cane Garden last Thursday and was very good but a few minor blemishes on Hibiscus, but nothing worth complaining about. All in all, very content with the conditions 😎

ColdNoMore
02-25-2020, 01:14 PM
Played Lopez today, Ashley to Tori, awesome conditions. The greens were pure and fast. Second best greens in the Villages’s next to Tierra Del Sol. Played Evans Prairie yesterday and very good and a Palmer the day before and also very good. Played Cane Garden last Thursday and was very good but a few minor blemishes on Hibiscus, but nothing worth complaining about. All in all, very content with the conditions 😎

For the last few months, Tierra's greens...have been awesome!

Might have to give Lopez a look...if they are even close.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

tophcfa
02-25-2020, 10:17 PM
For the last few months, Tierra's greens...have been awesome!

Might have to give Lopez a look...if they are even close.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbup:

Play Ashley to Tori at Lopez, both were redone with the same new hybrid greens that are at TDS. Erin at Lopez has the old greens and are OK, but not nearly the same. Word has it that Erin will be closed this upcoming summer to also get renovated with the new greens?

ColdNoMore
02-25-2020, 11:19 PM
Play Ashley to Tori at Lopez, both were redone with the same new hybrid greens that are at TDS. Erin at Lopez has the old greens and are OK, but not nearly the same. Word has it that Erin will be closed this upcoming summer to also get renovated with the new greens?

I'll definitely give Lopez a try.

Thanks again for the tip. :thumbup: