PDA

View Full Version : Here is What the Director of Golf is Talking About

Roaddog53
02-28-2020, 02:44 PM
It was raining steadily. 2 walkers, a man and woman, were playing in the rain with no cares at all. They walked up ONTO THE GREEN with their pull carts all over while they putted each time. Even to the pin. Than walked off the green. Had to have been snowbirds. lol. Playing in the rain since they don't get to play up north and wanted to get some golf in. Oh, they went to the next tee and kept playing.

alwann
02-28-2020, 02:55 PM
If you were close enough to see this, did you say anything to them?

NotGolfer
02-28-2020, 03:46 PM
Then the adage is true...that there are "some" who don't know enough to come in out of the rain. I do agree though...probably snowbird/renters who want to get their $$$$ worth before heading north. I wouldn't care---getting wet and chilled wouldn't have been worth it to me.

rjn5656
02-29-2020, 06:19 AM
Did you go to the starter shack or pro shop and let them know.

dewilson58
02-29-2020, 07:36 AM
Here is What the Director of Golf is Talking About

??????

Bay Kid
02-29-2020, 07:40 AM
I saw that happen a couple of years ago. Even pulled his cart through the sand traps, of course he didn't rake. Not even raining, just stupidity. Never saw the ranger. Reported at end of the round for what that was worth.

karostay
02-29-2020, 07:46 AM
Golfing ambassadors are like Barney Fife...There for show not enforcement

drcar
02-29-2020, 07:54 AM

I love it when some makes a statement with no idea what they are talking about.

dewilson58
02-29-2020, 07:59 AM

Back atcha.

anothersteve
02-29-2020, 08:01 AM

Yep. I'll go as far to say they are the ones that think they are God's gift to golf and don't have to obey the rules either.
Steve

stan the man
02-29-2020, 09:14 AM
When in Rome do as the Romans do

karostay
02-29-2020, 11:20 AM

Ones intelligence does stand out ?

ColdNoMore
02-29-2020, 11:32 AM
I'm not really sure what the big issue is here? :confused:

Depending on the type of pull/push-carts, I'll bet a lot of them put less pressure per square inch on the greens...than a lot of really big people I see walking on them. :shrug:

Unless the cart folks are making sharp turns and somehow putting furrows in the greens...which would be unacceptable.

Then again, I come across a LOT of greens where it looks like some players in front of me have lost the ability to lift their feet...and can only shuffle/scuff their way along. :oops:

jswirs
03-01-2020, 06:08 AM

Depending on the type of pull/push-carts, I'll bet a lot of them put less pressure per square inch on the greens...than a lot of really big people I see walking on them. :shrug:

Unless the cart folks are making sharp turns and somehow putting furrows in the greens...which would be unacceptable.

Then again, I come across a LOT of greens where it looks like some players in front of me have lost the ability to lift their feet...and can only shuffle/scuff their way along. :oops:

No way any pull carts should be on a green. No excuses, if you can't take your putter out of your bag and walk the green you should not be playing golf.

ColdNoMore
03-01-2020, 06:58 AM
No way any pull carts should be on a green. No excuses, if you can't take your putter out of your bag and walk the green you should not be playing golf.

Well, I guess your "opinion"...isn't universally shared. :D

But hey, who's ever even heard of those nondescript dog tracks...mentioned in the article? :oops:

Push/Pull carts on greens (push/pull here) (http://myusualgame.com/2012/08/22/push-carts-on-tee-boxes-on-greens/)

I took the photos above and below at Victoria Golf Club, near Melbourne, Australia, in 2010. (The Australian Masters was played at Victoria that year and the next.) Players there are asked to roll their push carts and pull carts not just over the tee boxes but across the greens, to keep the fringes from being beaten up by concentrated foot traffic.

Other Sandbelt courses have the same policy—including Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath, which are ranked No. 22 and No. 11, respectively, on Golf Digest’s list of the 100 Best Courses Outside the United States. Ditto Bandon Dunes (although at Bandon golfers with carts are asked to cross the greens only, and not to park their carts on them).

These practices makes perfect sense, because a push cart weighs much less than a greens mower. Or a tee mower. Or any of the guys that you or I play golf with. So lighten up, enemy club.

You're welcome. :ho:

Two Bills
03-01-2020, 07:15 AM

Players weigh more than pull carts and bag of clubs, so maybe the players should stay off the greens, and use very long putters from the fringe.:icon_wink:

Wife and I always walk courses, and personally I have never seen a pull cart on any green, or going into a sand trap.
However, I have seen golf carts on the edge of greens and on fringes on the odd occasion.

rjsantos592
03-01-2020, 07:16 AM
Maybe you should become an ambassador

theruizs
03-01-2020, 07:19 AM

I think it’s the pull carts that are the problem. They shouldn’t be on the greens in good weather, let alone when they are wet.

jedalton
03-01-2020, 07:27 AM
we are there for enforcement but politely.

ColdNoMore
03-01-2020, 07:39 AM
I think it’s the pull carts that are the problem. They shouldn’t be on the greens in good weather, let alone when they are wet.

Please read Post #15. :ho:

drcar
03-01-2020, 08:16 AM
:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow::bigbow:we are there for enforcement but politely.

kenoc7
03-01-2020, 08:42 AM
It was raining steadily. 2 walkers, a man and woman, were playing in the rain with no cares at all. They walked up ONTO THE GREEN with their pull carts all over while they putted each time. Even to the pin. Than walked off the green. Had to have been snowbirds. lol. Playing in the rain since they don't get to play up north and wanted to get some golf in. Oh, they went to the next tee and kept playing.

Do you realize that in many places golfers are encouraged to walk across the greens with their pull carts because it saves wear and tear in the same places on the fringe? Pull carts are much lighter than the equipment used on the greens by ground staff and do no damage to greens.

dewilson58
03-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Do you realize that in many places golfers are encouraged to walk across the greens with their pull carts because it saves wear and tear in the same places on the fringe? Pull carts are much lighter than the equipment used on the greens by ground staff and do no damage to greens.

:1rotfl:

Need to press the B.S. button.

No place is pulling a cart across a green is appropriate golf etiquette.

DonH57
03-01-2020, 09:02 AM
When I've used my three wheeled push cart I never placed it on a tee box, green, or bunker.

JoMar
03-01-2020, 09:22 AM

And if you believe that there is some swamp land available you can get real cheap

CTKID
03-01-2020, 11:25 AM
If the justification for rolling hand carts across the greens is because they cause damage when rolled on the fringe / rough in the same place over and over, how does it not apply to the green?

Just being respectful to other golfers, the course and the game I have never rolled a hand cart onto a green. Never even thought about doing it.

yabbadu
03-01-2020, 12:57 PM

Where and when did the Director of Golf talk about this??? If you want quote someone please refer to where and when this statement was made!

ColdNoMore
03-01-2020, 06:53 PM
:1rotfl:

Need to press the B.S. button.

No place is pulling a cart across a green is appropriate golf etiquette.

And if you believe that there is some swamp land available you can get real cheap

Y'all really should read ALL of the posts in this thread. :oops:

Start with #15...then click the link.

ColdNoMore
03-01-2020, 06:57 PM

Yep. :thumbup:

Sometimes, all you can do is provide facts, with proof...and just hope that is enough. :ohdear:

JoMar
03-01-2020, 09:35 PM
Well, I guess your "opinion"...isn't universally shared. :D

But hey, who's ever even heard of those nondescript dog tracks...mentioned in the article? :oops:

Push/Pull carts on greens (push/pull here) (http://myusualgame.com/2012/08/22/push-carts-on-tee-boxes-on-greens/)

Just because one course in Australia allows it doesn't make it right. There is less than one square inch supporting the weight of the cart and the bag and when they turn one of the wheels is staggered and may not rotate. Since there are many here that don't fix ball marks or spike marks it probably wouldn't make much difference. Also, iff it wasn't an issue I suspect thousands of the good golf courses would allow it.....and they don't.

ColdNoMore
03-01-2020, 09:54 PM
Just because one course in Australia allows it doesn't make it right. There is less than one square inch supporting the weight of the cart and the bag and when they turn one of the wheels is staggered and may not rotate. Since there are many here that don't fix ball marks or spike marks it probably wouldn't make much difference. Also, iff it wasn't an issue I suspect thousands of the good golf courses would allow it.....and they don't.

Read it again it's not just one Australian course...it's three (at least). :oops:

In fact, two of them are..."ranked No. 22 and No. 11, respectively, on Golf Digest’s list of the 100 Best Courses Outside the United States."

Are those "good enough" golf courses...to meet your criteria? :ohdear:

And maybe you haven't heard of Bandon Dunes here in the good old USA, but you may be surprised...if you make the effort to research. :ho:

anothersteve
03-01-2020, 10:16 PM
I don't give a crap what is allowed on other courses around the country, or the world for that matter, walking on the greens with a pull or push cart is frowned upon here in the Villages. Ask about it, on any Champ course, to any of the head pros, they will give you the info you don't want to hear.
Steve

dewilson58
03-02-2020, 06:48 AM
I don't give a crap what is allowed on other courses around the country, or the world for that matter, walking on the greens with a pull or push cart is frowned upon here in the Villages. Ask about it, on any Champ course, to any of the head pros, they will give you the info you don't want to hear.
Steve

Agree.

Some posters just want use Google to try to be contrary and attempt to say, "Look at me.". What's funny is................most don't care to look. :clap2:

ColdNoMore
03-02-2020, 06:51 AM
What's even funnier (sadder?), are those who have the attitude of..."I couldn't care less about facts and have the right...to be wrong." :ohdear:

///

duffersue
03-02-2020, 10:36 AM
Evidently you don't know the rules of golf. Funny you are.

ColdNoMore
03-02-2020, 10:56 AM
Evidently you don't know the rules of golf. Funny you are.

Please do share...your proclaimed expertise.

Where in the "Rules of Golf"...is this even addressed?

:popcorn:

walterray1
03-02-2020, 01:23 PM
I suppose you are ok with people (with reasonable accommodation tag) parking their golf cart right in front of the green as well. Too many people haven't a clue about golf etiquette. Taking a push/pull cart onto the green in any weather is not appropriate. If you are healthy enough to walk the course you should be able to walk a few feet to the green without your cart.

ColdNoMore
03-02-2020, 05:29 PM
I suppose you are ok with people (with reasonable accommodation tag) parking their golf cart right in front of the green as well. Too many people haven't a clue about golf etiquette. Taking a push/pull cart onto the green in any weather is not appropriate. If you are healthy enough to walk the course you should be able to walk a few feet to the green without your cart.

You "suppose" wrong, even though.....

Please research the term 'PSI'...then let's discuss further. ;)

I know, I know...facts can be so limiting. :ho:

Polar Bear
03-02-2020, 10:38 PM
Worst thread title ever.

villageuser
03-03-2020, 06:13 AM
Very interesting thread regarding compression of grass and rules as it pertains to golf courses. I agree people should read all the posts before they make an uninformed comment.
Mine is regarding walking in the rain. I love people embracing life and nature, which includes walking in the rain. It makes one feel young again. Now that I know that couple did not hurt the course in any way, or not more so than any other human, I applaud them even stronger, for “seizing the moment”. I wish more people would be like that.

Dlbonivich
03-03-2020, 08:11 AM
I would guess the clubs that are the best in the world do not get played millions of rounds a year like our local courses. I think it is courtesy on courses that get so much play.

stadry
03-04-2020, 07:32 AM
its call 'golf etiquette' &, sadly, i often see displays of ignorance,,, however, aren't there ( isn't there ) some sort of h-cap sticker for golfers who qualify for that status ? allows driving carts up to junior/fringe, etc ? recall something like that when we were there in jan
i'm on the bench w/wallyray on this 1

anothersteve
03-04-2020, 08:56 AM
its call 'golf etiquette' &, sadly, i often see displays of ignorance,,, however, aren't there ( isn't there ) some sort of h-cap sticker for golfers who qualify for that status ? allows driving carts up to junior/fringe, etc ? recall something like that when we were there in jan
i'm on the bench w/wallyray on this 1

Even with an RA (reasonable accommodation) tag, carts can, or should be parked no less than 15' from the green, also from bunkers.This is on any course, champ or exec.
Steve

edicito
03-04-2020, 09:21 AM
I saw a 15 year old practicing driver swings at the tee box taking chunks of sod left and right.
He was riding with his grandmother, once they pulled away I went to them in my golf cart and asked the young man to get out of the cart and said:
Here in the Villages we take good care of our golf courses so that when you all come to visit can enjoy pristine golfing courses, so would you please grab the sand container and go back to the tee to fix
The divots you made ok?
And he did!!!!!!

kcrazorbackfan
03-04-2020, 09:39 PM
Even with an RA (reasonable accommodation) tag, carts can, or should be parked no less than 15' from the green, also from bunkers.This is on any course, champ or exec.
Steve

Hahahahahaha! There’s a farts chance in a whirlwind of people complying with that.

I see all of the time the entitled parking close to the greens, driving between the traps and the greens and disregarding the small stakes blocking areas around the greens by driving around and through them so they can park close to the green.

And I do say something when I see something.....

anothersteve
03-04-2020, 09:53 PM
Hahahahahaha! There’s a farts chance in a whirlwind of people complying with that.

I see all of the time the entitled parking close to the greens, driving between the traps and the greens and disregarding the small stakes blocking areas around the greens by driving around and through them so they can park close to the green.

And I do say something when I see something.....

I hear you.
I did say "can"..or "should be".

Steve

croughwell
03-05-2020, 12:06 AM
They will probably leave nice furrows in the green considering the rain. More self-entitled Villagers!

OhioBuckeye
03-05-2020, 11:11 AM

TV isn’t going to make anybody mad! But most of the Ambassador’s will tell you the issue & drive away so they don’t get into an argument. The biggest issue that I saw a lot was slow play & have 2, 3 or 4 hole backups. Or you’ll see some golfer that can’t hit the ball from one tee box to the next & they’ll be playing from the back tees & no Ambassador, because they’re not allowed to make them mad.

tsmall22204
03-05-2020, 11:36 AM
Did you get wet? What's the problem? It's not your golf course

golf47guy
03-07-2020, 01:16 PM
I played Escambia last Tuesday and most of the greens were so pockmarked with ball divots it was impossible to find a smooth path to the cup. People, please fix your ball divits with a proper tool and also at least two other ones you didn’t make. Takes very little time to do when you are waiting to put, thanks. 👍

Goodi70
03-21-2020, 07:24 AM
What if acquiring your "Trail Fee Paid" status required a proof that you had attended - and completed - a visit to the Good Golf School? It is free and a perfect place to address some of these issues. Won't stop the "entitled" but might reach the uninformed. Many of the exec players are new to the game. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here, but why wouldn't this work? It isn't a restriction on access, just to the convenience of having a paid trail fee.

stan the man
03-21-2020, 09:28 AM
When in Rome I do as the Romans do---Sorry

JoMar
03-21-2020, 02:26 PM
Read it again it's not just one Australian course...it's three (at least). :oops:

In fact, two of them are..."ranked No. 22 and No. 11, respectively, on Golf Digest’s list of the 100 Best Courses Outside the United States."

Are those "good enough" golf courses...to meet your criteria? :ohdear:

And maybe you haven't heard of Bandon Dunes here in the good old USA, but you may be surprised...if you make the effort to research. :ho:

Brandon Dunes only allow the use of their push carts which are wider and have very large tires that spread the load in a positive down force (yeah, I called them). I haven't checked the Australian course but assume the same. The Villages have handicap golf carts that are allowed on the greens because their design also spreads the load.

I also prefer the judgement of superintendents at US courses, most trained at schools that teach Golf Course Management (Penn State, University of Colorado, University of Maryland for a few) then any posts here that search our minority examples to condone bad behavior.